Breaking News: NPM president named
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Just received this in my inbox:

On behalf of the NPM Board of Directors I am delighted to announce that after nearly a year’s search, Rev. Msgr. Richard B. Hilgartner, a priest of the Archdiocese of Baltimore, Maryland, has been named the new president of the Association. Monsignor Hilgartner will be introduced to the members of the Association at the 2014 NPM Annual Convention, held July 14–17 in St. Louis, Missouri. He will assume the duties of the president on September 1. The National Association of Pastoral Musicians is particularly grateful to Archbishop William Lori of Baltimore for allowing Monsignor Hilgartner to assume this role in addition to his work as pastor of a parish in the Archdiocese.

Born in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1968, Richard Hilgartner was ordained to the priesthood for the Archdiocese of Baltimore in 1995. After service in two parishes in the Archdiocese, he began studies in Rome at the Pontificio Ateneo Sant’Anselmo in 2003, earning a licentiate in sacred theology, with a specialization in sacramental theology (magna cum laude), two years later. Father Hilgartner returned to the Archdiocese to serve as chaplain and director of campus ministry and as an adjunct faculty member at Mount St. Mary’s University in Emmitsburg, Maryland. In 2007, he was named associate director of the Secretariat of Divine Worship for the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and, in 2011, he became the Secretariat’s executive director. One year later, Father Hilgartner was named Chaplain to His Holiness with the title “Monsignor.”

Now ending his term at the Secretariat, Monsignor Hilgartner will return to pastoral ministry and will serve as the third president of NPM since its inauguration by Rev. Dr. Virgil Funk, a priest of the Diocese of Richmond, now retired. Dr. J. Michael McMahon served as the Association’s second president from 2001 to 2013.

We appreciate the dedication of all those who applied for this position. They each brought unique talents, skills, and experiences and offered them in service to the Association. It was truly difficult to choose among them. We hope all those who offered to serve will continue to offer their gifts in service to the Church as members of the National Association of Pastoral Musicians.

A press release will be made available shortly to the news services. Once released, it will also be posted on the NPM website for those who would like to learn more about our new president, in anticipation of meeting him in St. Louis.

Anne A. Ketzer, Chairperson
    NPM Board of Directors
    Asked about his vision for NPM, Hilgartner said,

"The Church in the United States continues to grow more diverse, not only in terms of culture and language but also in regard to models of Church and models of worship. The future of NPM will depend on its ability to serve the Church in these contexts and to form, encourage, and support the next generation of pastoral musicians in their commitment to serve the Church and the Liturgy."
  • Kathy
    Is Msgr. Hilgartner a musician?
    Good question. I'm not sure he is. Whenever he gives talks at NPM, they are always in the vein of liturgical theology.

Of course, that could just as easily be because of his prior position and doctoral studies.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Well, he is congenial. And he does answer the mail.
    I still wish Joncas would have put his hat in the ring for a last hurrah. Despite how he might be perceived here and elsewhere, the RvDoc JMJ knows RCC music and liturgy as well as anybody else in any "camp" and can communicate across the lines. Que sera, sera.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • PhatFlute
    Dude why wait? Make him or her president now! If there has not been one.
  • Dauphin35
    "The Church in the United States continues to grow more diverse, not only in terms of culture and language but also in regard to models of Church and models of worship.

Oy vey. It's never a good sign when they leave out the article before "church". I think I lost a few brain cells reading that.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Msgr. used one of the buzzwords in NPM land: diverse. For years now I have ran away from that word because of the underlying nature of its existence, which is to say, divided. I believe we no longer serve our communities when you throw that word into the ecclesiological mix. We continue to balkanize an already divided church.
    Thanked by 2expeditus1 francis
  • Kathy
    Msgr. is a musician, thankfully.
    He is a musician himself

a trained
    singer
    (and former brass player) who served through high school and col
    lege in various musical
    ensembles in the parish and in campus settings.

http://npm.org/assets/Hilgartner.pdf
    I'm quite surprised that he is a priest and a pastor. I was under the impression that this was more than a full time job. I can't imagine how a parish pastor can do it.

With that said, he has great - Impressive - credentials.

I really had expected it to be perhaps an academic or diocesan/cathedral musician who would leave their current post to take this. I'm surprised by the choice, by his willingness to do it, and by his archbishop's willingness to let him.
  • CharlesW
    If we keep on this path, and the good Lord continues to let us do as we please, we are going to get so diverse we won't be like those dam*ed Catholics anymore. Can anyone say Hallelujah? LOL PURPLE BOLD
    Thanked by 2ryand Gavin
  • chonakchonak
    The Church in the United States continues to grow more diverse [...] in regard to models of Church

I wonder what this refers to.

There were six conceptual models of the Church discussed in Cardinal Dulles' famous book of that same title, over 30 years ago. So are there even more now?
    Thanks for that. This book needs to be added to my reading list.
  • chonakchonak
    If you'd like an advance idea of the main points, run a web search for "models of the church summary", and you'll find various briefings prepared for various audiences.
  • CharlesW
    Not familiar with that book. I need to read it, too.
  • rollingrj
    PGA and CW: I have read it. I find it useful to see what model(s) a parish might be employing and what dynamics may be in play.