Bad Hymns in General?
  • Does the hymn "The Church's One Foundation" strike anyone else as a Protestant "anti-Tu es Petrus"...or am I being oversensitive? It comes across that way to me even more strongly as we approach the Sunday solemnity of SS Peter and Paul, and I'm just not inclined to use it anymore. I feel the same way about "How Firm a Foundation" BTW, as a hymn standing against Tradition ("what more can he say than to you he has said...").

Both hymns are featured in my favorite Catholic hymnal - Worship III

• PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Eh, I don't know.

I see what you're saying. Then there's also "Christ Is Made the Sure Foundation."

But I don't think that the idea of Christ being the foundation of the Church is wrong either.

I never have a good hymn for when that "Tu-es Petrus" reading comes up; OCP has a text, "Upon the Rock of Peter," but we don't own an OCP license.
  • Liam
    The text is talking in terms of primary cause. It was not written as an anti-Petrine polemic (rather, it was written in defense of a traditional understanding of the Church and the communion of saints). The failure to mention Peter as Rock does not make something an anti-Petrine text or fatally equivocal.
  • CharlesW
    Our Ritual Song hymnal has different words, "O Christ the Great Foundation," "You Walk Along Our Shoreline," and "For All the Faithful Women," following in the GIA tradition of using multiple sets of words to a hymn tune, instead of using one and including other hymns. Go figure, but it doesn't have the original text to the Wesley tune.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    "The Church's One Foundation" is taken from Samuel J. Stone's Lyra Fidelium: Twelve Hymns on the Twelve Articles of the Apostle's Creed (1866), written as a response to teaching that had created schism within the Church of South Africa. The twelve "articles" (hymns) are:

1. The Unity, Omnipotence, and Fatherhood of God
    2. The Person and Office of God the Son
    3. The Incarnation of God the Son
    4. The Passion, Death, and Burial of the God Man
    5. The Entrance for His Soul unto Paradise, and His Resurrection
    6. His Ascension, and Resumption of Divine Majesty
    7. His Second Advent to the Judgment of the Living and the Dead
    8. The Person and Office of God the Holy Ghost
    9. The Nature of the Universal Church, and the Fellowship of the Saints
    10. The Remission of Sins
    11. The Final Resurrection of the Bodies of the Dead
    12. The Eternal Condition of the Judgment for the Just and the Unjust

"The Church's One Foundation" is taken from Article 9. The Nature of the Universal Church, and the Fellowship of the Saints (“...the Holy Catholic* Church: the communion of the saints...”). It is not about SS. Peter & Paul ... but that does not make it a bad or inappropriate hymn.

It is Anglican, based on the Apostles' Creed, it is not "Roman" Catholic ... but it is Catholic ... and solidly good.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    No, I don't.
  • CHG - that's helpful background. I probably should have been clearer. I don't think the hymn is intrinsically heretical, but I have heard the opening line plenty of times from Protestant friends as an argument against Peter as Pope. As in "No! The Church's one foundation is Jesus Christ, not Peter!" The old principle of false dichotomy in play. It's good to know that that was not the original intent of the hymn text.

I'm still not sure about How Firm a Foundation, though...
  • We all accept and believe Catholic teaching and belief about the Petrine supremacy. It seems to me, though, that taking note of He Who Is Above All, Including Peter's Successors, should be the cause, not for alarm, but for joy by all Christians, including Catholics. Christ, whom alone we worship, is the head of the Church, its sure foundation. Peter is his venerable vicar.
    Thanked by 3donr Liam CHGiffen
  • ronkrisman
    In "How Firm a Foundation" God's Word or, in some textual alterations, "Christ Jesus, the Word" is referred to as the foundation for faith, not for the Church. This does not "stand against Tradition," as the OP wonders in his original comment.

The incarnate Word of God is the source of all revelation, from which faith springs. This is an ad rem excerpt from an October 10, 2005, address of Cardinal Levada:
    The third of the themes identified by Fr. Ratzinger as contributing to the shaping of the Constitution on Divine Revelation is the concept of tradition. This word had a history in Catholic theology which is most often associated with the “two source” theory of how God’s Revelation is present and known in the Church: partly in scriptis (Scripture) and partly in traditis (traditions). The broader idea of Tradition that emerged from the early 19th century onwards provided a unifying concept of how Revelation – God’s Word (eternally present in the Trinitarian communion, and historically revealed in the incarnate Word) is the true, unique “source” of both Scripture and Tradition. Thus no. 9 of Dei Verbum presents this key concept on the connection between Scripture and Tradition: “For both of them, flowing from the same divine wellspring, in a certain way merge into a unity and tend toward the same end.” And again in no. 10, we read: “Sacred tradition and sacred Scripture form one sacred deposit of the word of God, which is committed to the Church.” And again, in the next paragraph, Dei Verbum uses the phrase “interpreting the word of God, whether written or handed on…”
  • Fr. Krisman,

Of course, there is a healthy Catholic way to understand "Word" in this hymn. However, do you think this is what "Word" was intended to mean in the hymn's original Protestant context. And the followup question would be - IF the hymn was meant as an affirmation of Sola Scriptura, does that matter to us now?

I was born and raised evangelical Protestant by the way, and became Catholic in my teens. Thus perhaps I am oversensitive to phrases that have often been used by Protestant friends over the years to convince me of the error of my ways :)
  • If "The Church's One Foundation" is anti-Petrine supremacy, then so is Psalm 118.
  • Liam
    Kirchenmusik,

Perhaps.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    "The stone which the builders rejected..."
    Was that prophesying the ordination of Cephas?
    Didn't think so.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • As a final clarification:

As a Catholic, I believe that Christ is the ultimate foundation of the Church, and that this fact does not contradict the Church being founded in its earthly sense on Peter. HOWEVER, the idea of Christ as the sole foundation of the church is commonly used by Protestants as an argument against the establishment of the Papacy. So commonly used I would almost call it an anti-papal catchphrase worthy of bumper stickers and t-shirts (or their 19th century equivalents). Thus my original question - is there any indication that "The Church's One Foundation" (a Protestant hymn) was or is intended in this polemical sense. The answer seems to be 'NO'.

Similarly, the phrase "what more can he say than to you he has said [in his excellent Word]" is a neat summing up of the Protestant idea of Sola Scriptura. Cause for concern? Or is it ok because we can understand "Word" to mean the person of Jesus Christ, not merely the scriptures?

Just questions, folks. It's funny how ruffled some people get when you suggest that a hymn might not be good...

EDIT: The alternate text (Timothy T'ingfang Lew) O Christ the Great Foundation seems more Catholic to me.
    O Christ the great foundation on which your people stand
    vs
    The Church's one foundation is Jesus Christ our Lord
  • Liam
    Who on earth is ruffled here?
    Thanked by 2melofluent Spriggo
  • ronkrisman
    @kirchenmusik: It is never wrong to study the texts of hymns very carefully, and to ask the appropriate questions when something seems not to be quite right. That's what you did. I don't think you ruffled any feathers.

BTW, if anyone wants to blame me for something, I was one of the editors of Worship IV who fought (successfully) to replace the text of "O Christ the Great Foundation" with "The Church's One Foundation." A comparison of those two texts on the Forum might be more fun than singing happy-clappy music.
    Fr. Krisman - Why didn't they keep "Christ's Church Shall Glory in His Power," instead of "A Mighty Fortress?"
  • SalieriSalieri
    Not to derail a thread, but, I just wanted to say how happy I am that two major presences from GIA (Fr. Krisman and Fr. Chipponis) are on the Forum. Even though we might not agree on everything, I find their knowledge, especially in matters hymnological, and opinions valuable. Thank you.
  • ronkrisman
    @PGA, I should perhaps have used "suggested" instead of "fought to" in my previous comment. My recollection is that EIN FESTE BURG was selected for inclusion in W4 at either the first or second meeting of the hymnal committee (in 2009). It's inclusion was a "NO BRAINER," a category we used for items that did not even need to be discussed. And I said something to the effect that, of course, we'll use "A Mighty Fortress" as the text. I don't recall that anyone spoke up for the Christopher Idle text. The entire exchange probably only lasted a few seconds.

Like other contributors to the Forum, I think Idle is a superb hymn writer. But so was Martin Luther. "Christ's Church Shall Glory in His Power" is a good text, but so is the new translation of Luther's text in Evangelical Lutheran Worship, which we used.
    Yes. I suppose this is a bit of irrationality on my part, but I just can't bring myself to use the rallying hymn of the reformation at mass.

Yes, I know that it's not heretical; I could make good, valid arguments for why it's not wrong to use it.

For some reason, I still just can't bring myself to do it.
    Thanked by 2Spriggo Wendi
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    so is the new translation of Luther's text in Evangelical Lutheran Worship, which we used

Before the pile-on from the anti-anything-that-smells-PC crowd here-
    let me say: thanks for that.
  • Liam
    The mention of AMFIOG reminds me of my father, who turned 90 this past weekend. Raised in a German national parish in Bridgeport CT; his five significantly older siblings learned their prayers in German, but my father was born after WW1 and did not. He was an altar boy for years. He had four grandparents from southwestern Germany, who all left by the time of the Kulturkampf. Anyway, he was raised in a devout, Bible-reading, hymn-singing German Catholic family. He modeled singing hymns for his children. I can vividly remember the nearly beatific expression he had when powers that be in our parish in central Long Island allowed AMFIOG to be sung at Mass around 1970. He loved and loves that hymn, fully aware of its history in Lutheran-Catholic polemic. For him, that history was not at all dispositive. Rather, for him the perfectly matched, powerful text and tune were resonant and evocative of spiritual struggle he experienced yet hopeful of eventual triumph. I can remember his explanation of his joy while we were returning home after that Mass.

He wants it sung at his funeral, and I expect it will be. I don't know if I would be able to hold back tears singing it.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Gavin
  • rich_enough
    I think you have the right instincts here, PGA. Hymns aren't just words, but have a history, context, and emphases that may or may not match up with a fully Catholic understanding of things. "A Mighty Fortress" is not just a psalm paraphrase, but has been used for centuries as a hymn celebrating the Protestant Reformation, which I think is reason enough to look elsewhere (with all due respect for special situations like the one Liam brings up). "Amazing Grace" may pass muster on a strictly theological reading, but I've always been uncomfortable with all the "baggage" associated with it.

I think we should err on the side of caution when considering what we will admit into the official worship of the Church.
    Well, I guess my problem, which I fully admit, is that I'm a bit schizophrenic in this regard. Other hymns don't make me hesitate as much as this one, for some reason.
  • CharlesW
    Yes. I suppose this is a bit of irrationality on my part, but I just can't bring myself to use the rallying hymn of the reformation at mass.

I don't use it because of its association with the Protestant Reformation - or revolt, if you prefer. There are many other hymns out there, so I don't see any burning need to use this one.
  • PhatFlute
    Also me.
  • Fr Krisman - interesting. I'm curious what the rationale was, as both texts (O Christ the Great Foundation and The Church's One Foundation) seem solid to me. It's just that the former text doesn't carry any negative polemical associations for me personally, and seems more Catholic. Was there a particular reason or phrase that sealed the deal between the two texts?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I remember a hymn festival where EfBiuG (AMFIOG too much of a head-scratscher for me) was sung from the Catholic Community Hymnal. In the interests of time, only one verse was used: how Catholic can you get? Any other verse would have worked better than the first...
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    In the interests of time, only one verse was used

WHAT IS THE POINT?!
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Liam
    Well, that was a back-handed Catholic insult to the hymn.
  • Thanked by 2CHGiffen Liam
  • kirchenmusik:

From my recollection as a member of the Worship IV committee, our rationale for including "The Church's One Foundation" rather than "O Christ, the Great Foundation" was that the latter had not been chosen for inclusion in other non-GIA hymnals (Catholic as well as other denominations) since the hymn's appearance in Worship III in 1986.
  • Kathy
    It's too bad, because the text is awesome. But it's hard for hymnal editors to justify paying for something so incredibly close in form and content (and of course tune) when the PD text is excellent. I suppose the W III editors made the other decision, including the new text but not the older--which besides being equally respectable, is also generous. Definitely worth a try, imho.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ronkrisman
    The previous comment does not take into account the industry-standard procedures for the payment of royalties. (I don't know what some new publishers who appear to be avoiding copyrighted materials like the plague do, but this is what GIA, Hope, WLP, OCP, and other publishers of hymnals do.)

All copyrighted texts and music together (that is, as an aggregate) receive a 10 percent royalty on the sales price of the book. I have explained this before. If the book costs $20.00, $2.00 is paid out in royalties to the copyright owners.

Look in the acknowledgment section of any GIA hymnal. There are hundreds of folks listed who will receive a pro-rata share of that $2.00 royalty on each hymnal sold. Neither Samuel Stone nor Samuel Wesley will have a pro-rate share in this royalty for "The Church's One Foundation," since both the text and tune are in the public domain.

Whether "O Christ, the Great Foundation" is included in the hymnal or not makes absolutely no difference to the publisher if the hymnal still sells for $20.00. The royalty paid will still be $2.00. The author of that text - if it is included in the hymnal - will receive a pro-rata share of the royalty; all other copyright holders will have their pro-rata shares reduced ever so slightly.
  • Unfortunately, Fr., the copyright holders negotiate on their own terms what they want for their music to appear in a hymnal - resulting in lots of last minute changes prior to publishing when an expensive hymn is dropped and money becomes available for ones that cost less. There is a difference between paying to publish and paying royalties. Otherwise, it would all be fair and every publisher could have exactly what they want in their books, just cutting a check for royalties....but that's not how it works.
  • Kathy
    True. It wasn't very generous. But it was generous.
  • ronkrisman
    Noel,
    I truly do not understand what you just wrote. But I will say this: no author or composer gets a greater royalty percentage for a creation of theirs that appears in a GIA hymnal, whether the name is Proulx, Haugen, or Hillert, etc. Everyone gets the same contract, and it specifies a 10 percent pro-rata royalty on sales.
  • chonakchonak
    Just for the sake of making administration practical, small publishers might need to insist on using that pro-rata system, even if they ended up paying a higher percentage of sales: e.g., 12 per cent on sales.
  • You are correct - but the owners of the copyright can and do demand payments for being printed in the book or can withhold their music/text from publication.

Copyright is not like "Mechanical License" in which once a song has been recorded anyone can go ahead record it and pay for using it.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    See new topic "Custom or boutique hymnal"
  • ronkrisman
    Noel, if the owner of a copyright were to demand some special payment from Hope, GIA, WLP, Oxford, OCP, Selah for the inclusion of their copyrighted material in one of said publishers' hymnals, I feel confident in saying the publishers would all say, "Hasta la vista, baby."

I only heard of one request for such special treatment with regard to the publication of Worship IV. The publisher, GIA, said, "No," and that copyrighted item does not appear in the hymnal.

I've also been told that if a publisher gives a standard royalty contract to copyright owners and then makes a different deal with some individual copyright owner and the rest of the copyright owners learn of this, expect a class action lawsuit.

I will be interested in seeing what develops under the new topic, "Custom or boutique hymnal."
  • Let me go a bit further to clarify:

The owner of the copyright has the ability to ask for advance payment against royalties, royalties that may never ever materialize. The owners of a popular tune or text can ask whatever they want - there is no restriction of this by law.

It is interesting, I am told by people who do this within their business - it's like an auction, making an offer, getting turned down, then getting a counter offer or being flat out rejected.

Some of this came from a person who did copyrights with EMI.

Some of those names you mention are ones that do this with what they have copyright on themselves.
  • Nothing in particular is coming to mind at this time, but in general I'd say any hymn that makes me go "Wait, what did that just say?", or is otherwise inappropriately written or banal. And anything that uses the "Ode to Joy" tune, which I despise. Go ahead and gather your stones and tomatoes...Yep, I can't stand it, it's obnoxious and I can't bear hearing it in church. But alas, people just love it and for whatever cultural reasons they identify with the tune. Ugh...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This 10% standard royalty contract sheds some interesting light on the propensity of major publishers to claim copyright on Public Domain texts, or to write new accompaniments which can be copyrighted, or to alter texts in a way that can be copyrighted.

Let's pretend I'm a publisher of hymnals. I'll call my imaginary company BIG3.

I'm putting together a hymnal that includes a dozen OCP songs, ten more from GIA, and so forth. There's also a lot of Public Domain music.

The book sells for $20, which means I have to pay $2 per book sold in royalties, smeared out to a bunch of other companies.

But what if, for every piece of copyrighted music from another company, I claim copyright on 3 others as belonging to BIG3 Publishing.

Does that mean, now, that for every $2 in royalty fees, $1.50 of it is being moved form my right pocket to my left pocket?

Moreover....

Let's say BEN YANKE is a composer whose work is published by BIG3. But, like all publishing companies, I sent him a contract early in his career which specifies that BIG3 owns the copyright to his (now very popular) hymntune CROOKED BOWTIE (8787D with Alleluias).

So does the following follow....?

Of the royalties paid to myself, BEN YANKE'S share will be smaller and smaller as more and more pieces of music in the hymnal include a copyright attribution to BIG3 Publishing.

AND

BEN YANKE's share of the BIG3 royalty check will also not be exactly in proportion to the total number of BIG3-copyright pieces. That is to say - if his is one out of 150 pieces, he will not be getting $0.01 for each hymnal sold - because his deal with BIG3 specifies that he will get some specific percentage (less than 100% for sure) of the royalties earned through the distribution and use of his hymn tune.

Meanwhile, text alterations, shoddy accompaniments, and whatever else that might be deemed copyrightable can be accomplished by salaried staff, committees, etc (myself, or people I would have had to employ anyway)- so that (in theory) the royalties due for those pieces don't even have to be split with the likes of BEN YANKE.

Which all means that despite the protests to the contrary, and explanations which until recently I found convincing, it really is the case that it is in the publisher's best interest to find a way to claim copyright on as many public domain hymns as possible, or otherwise fill their hymnals with their own material - at the expense of the composers, text writers, other publishing companies, and the general public.

Of course I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Could someone with more knowledge on this topic (Fr. K?) shed some light here? Am I on the right track?
    Thanked by 2Ben CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    And...

If one were to build a mostly Public Domain hymnal, and include CC-Licensed new texts, the presence of ONE SINGLE piece of conventionally-copyrighted music spoils the whole batch, destroying any economic benefit the publisher might have been able to realize from the existence of PD and Open Source music, and essentially taking advantage of the kindness and generosity of the composers who placed their own work into the Commons.

Which suggests that a new, special license might be in need of being developed, which allows for free use and copy in certain instances, but requires royalty payment when included in hymnals and similar collections. The CC:NC (Free for non-commercial use) is almost appropriate, but that presents too many additional restrictions which are not good for the Creative Commons eco-system.
  • ronkrisman
    A few responses, Adam:
    The book sells for $20, which means I have to pay $2 per book sold in royalties, smeared out to a bunch of other companies.

Actually a bunch of companies and individuals. Look at any hymnal's acknowledgments and you'll find quite a number of items whose copyrights have not been assigned to a publishing company.
    Does that mean, now, that for every $2 in royalty fees, $1.50 of it is being moved form my right pocket to my left pocket?

Actually it's being paid to the authors and composers who have licensed their creations to BIG3 Publications, Inc. It does not stay in BIG3's left pocket. BIG3 makes its money from the profits (total sales minus production costs and royalties).
    But, like all publishing companies, I sent him a contract early in his career which specifies that BIG3 owns the copyright to his (now very popular) hymntune CROOKED BOWTIE (8787D with Alleluias).

I've never heard of such a contract and Ben Yanke is the biggest fool in America if he signed such a one. A publisher sends a contract for EACH piece it decides to publish.
    Of the royalties paid to myself, BEN YANKE'S share will be smaller and smaller as more and more pieces of music in the hymnal include a copyright attribution to BIG3 Publishing.

Again, "royalties paid to myself" is incorrect. And yes, Ben Yanke's share (and everyone else's share) will decrease as more and more copyrighted materials are added to the hymnal. But one would expect that the size of the hymnal would eventually increase, as well as the price.
    Meanwhile, text alterations, shoddy accompaniments, and whatever else that might be deemed copyrightable can be accomplished by salaried staff...

Text alterations of PD texts should not be copyrighted (and GIA does not copyright them). Royalties for new harmonizations of PD tunes are paid to the harmonizers, not to the publisher.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    But lots of things written by individuals are, in fact, copyrighted by the company.
    YEs, there are individual holders, but isn't it standard practice to sign over copyright (yes, to an individual piece) to a company. I see a lot of COPYRIGHT GIA and COPYRIGHT OCP notices in hymnals, surely most of that music was written by a person, and not a corporate entity.

So, in the case of CROOKED BOWTIE. Let's assume this is no different than any random David Haas piece which happens to carry COPYRIGHT GIA at the bottom of it. (Laying aside, for a moment, the fact that Ben Yanke is, indeed, the biggest fool in America).

Under a standard contract, does BIG3 pay 100% of those royalties to Ben Yanke?
    Or does Ben Yanke get 90%, and BIG3 gets 10%? Or is there some other standard agreement?

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    IN FACT....

Clearly, SOME portion of money paid in royalties goes to publishing companies, not individual artists, as explained in THIS THREAD which contained the following exchange...

FR K: some hymnal publishers are wanting the industry standard royalty to be raised from 10% to 12.5%.

ADAM WOOD: Why would some publishers want to pay more for their content?

FR K: Adam, you overlooked one species of publisher that would benefit from a higher royalty percentage paid to hymnal contributors, namely, a publisher that, by and large, does not itself publish hymnals but which publishes new collections of hymns (either new texts, new tunes, or both).

ADAM WOOD: So when you said "publishers" in that case - you meant copyright holders of materials published in hymnals, not publishers of hymnals.

FR. K: Yes, but as you yourself wrote, there is some overlap. For instance, OCP, WLP, and GIA all publish collections of new music or new texts besides publishing hymnals.

[ . . . ]

This thread was also notable, as I revealed my plan for circumventing GIA's draconian policy regarding photo copying of sheet music...
    ADAM WOOD:
    New plan.

1. Build invisibility machine.
    2. Find out where Ron Krisman lives
    3. STEAL ALL THE ACCOMPANIMENT BOOKS FOR MYSELF!!

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I should note:

I don't really think anyone at GIA or OCP or any other publisher sits around thinking up schemes to stick it to composers, or other companies.

What I do think is that the emergent result of a bunch of different agents pursuing their some combination their own self interest and the path of least resistance is a situation that is not good or healthy for the authentic development of Catholic music, and which is mildly abusive to all involved.

This is all quite natural in a (nearly) free-market ecosystem, and I'm not suggesting anything like "THERE OUGHTA BE A LAW."

I just think it's worth figuring out what's going, recognizing what the effects are (or might be), and (if one is so called or inspired) working within that free market to forge a better solution.
  • chonakchonak
    When I see an edition of CROOKED BOWTIE with copyright held by BIG3, I assume that BIG3 bought the rights from the composer at some time in the past. Whether this is a good deal for him depends on how much he was paid in that deal, and how much in royalties those rights generate now.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Most of this is going over my head, but I will say this: If BEN YANKE ever writes a hymn-tune called CROOKED BOWTIE (8787D with Alleluias) I'll definitely use it.