Which Benedicamus Domino to Use?
  • expeditus1
    For the upcoming Feast of Corpus Christi, since there will be a procession following our High Mass, the priest will intone Benedicamus Domino, instead of Ite Missa Est. I am confused, however, as to how many tone options there are for this. I had read that there were only two which could be used for Mass, but I know that the notation exists for nineteen chant Masses. In the Catholic Encyclopedia, it states that according to the present ritual of a High Mass, Benedicamus Domino is sung to the same tone of the Kyrie (Adrian Fortescue). Elsewhere, there is mention of "the new Vatican Missal" which "provides nineteen tones...corresponding to the various Masses in the Kyriale." Was this "new Vatican Missal" post-1962? I also know that ICK includes the varied notations on their music resources website.

So, in short, can a person choose any of the nineteen tones, or are the additional seventeen only used for the Divine Office? Any help is appreciated.
  • Protasius
    The "new Vatican Missal" will most likely have been new when the Editio Vaticana came out in the early 20th century. In principle you can choose whatever Benedicamus you want, just as with the Ite.
    Thanked by 2expeditus1 CHGiffen
  • Richard R.
    You could also probably use one of the tunes in the Antiphonale Monasticum.
  • tomjaw
    Almost all the Mass settings in the L.U. had a Benedicamus Domino to be used instead of the Ite... These were omitted in the later editions because the rubrical changes meant that many would not be used.

We follow the older rubrics and so sing the Benedicamus... far more often, so we sing the appointed one for the Ordinary we are singing.

We usually sing Mass II on Corpus Christi so we would sing the version for Mass II. If you are singing a polyphonic setting you could choose any one.

Of course the Benedicamus is also sung as part of the Office and so there are other setting found in the L.U. and other books for this use.

As the text is the important part, you could sing any melody ad. lib.
    Thanked by 2expeditus1 CHGiffen