Come Holy Ghost - Winchester New
  • SalieriSalieri
    If anyone so desires, here's a version of 'Come, Holy Ghost' set to WINCHESTER NEW.
  • ronkrisman
    I'm sorry, but I have to ask: Why? Isn't this text so wed to LAMBILLOTTE (at least, in the USA) that people will find the change to what for many is an Advent tune strange, perhaps even risible?

Catholics don't know LAMBILLOTTE, is that what the OP is saying? Or, even if they know that tune, WINCHESTER NEW would be a better "fit" of text and tune? I think not.

This is one very bad idea, IMO.
  • PhatFlute
    Trololololololo! Harhahahaha!!
    Ph
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Salieri,

Thanks so much! This is a fresh new innovative take on an old classic. So glad I saw this before I printed out my handout. It will be the entrance hymn for our Missa Cantata tomorrow.

I would have thought our friend Fr. Krisman would have a priori welcomed fresh new innovations on old traditional things. Could this be a sign of emerging latent traditional sympathies???

Better watch out, Fr. Ron, next thing we now you'll be saying your own "Caveamus, patres!" as did the famous conservative Cardinals Ottaviani, Baci, and Browne at Vatican II, upset at what they perceived to be "dangerous innovations". : )
  • SalieriSalieri
    OK, so it seems some background is in order.

This is borne of a discussion at my choir rehearsal Thursday night about what all those little numbers are at the bottom of the page. I used Come Holy Ghost and LAMBILLOTTE as an example of 8 8 . 8 8 meter, and we sang this text to WINCHESTER NEW, TRURO, and another tune that escapes me at present.

After this the choir said that they preferred to sing Winchester New, so I decided to type set it for them. Considering that we've been banned from singing practically every thing we've learned in the last five years (propers), I figured it couldn't hurt to let them sing it as a choir piece this Sunday, since we didn't have an anthem ready to go.

I haven't programmed Lambillotte for about eight years. It is a tune that I thorough despise; it is nothing but s cheap waltz, cannot be played or sung in a dignified manner, and is completely unworthy of the temple. It should be thrown into the dustbin with the rest of the contents of the Catholic Chapel Hymnal and St. Basil's Hymnbook.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    LOL, Salieri! My husband and I were discussing just this afternoon what hymns to do tomorrow and when I suggested LAMBILOTTE, we had the same reaction. It's just a tired, worn-out hymn tune and ought to be put on the shelf for a while. However, the text is lovely, and I think pairing it with WINCHESTER NEW is pure brilliance.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I wish I could take the credit (or blame), but it lies with my USMC countertenor* who happened to open right to Winchester New when I was looking for an 8 8 . 8 8 Tune.

* just in case anyone thinks that men who sing alto are wimpy. Mothers, encourage your sons to sing alto!
  • when I suggested LAMBILOTTE, we had the same reaction. It's just a tired, worn-out hymn tune and ought to be put on the shelf for a while.

Dangerous waters...Not singing it could well be a firing offense. It's tired and worn out in your opinion, but not in the minds of the congregation who grew up with it, associate it with their Confirmation and singing it year after year at Pentecost.

And I'm serious. People will talk and not be saying nice things.

This is the MOST difficult thing about being a DM, putting yourself in the shoes of the congregation.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I see your point, Noel. The poor PIP's. They've had so many things stolen from them in the name of "progress" and "enlightenment" that giving them a few old chestnuts is the least one can do.

With all due respect to the sudden emergence of certain new defenders of liturgical tradition, music and otherwise, were they as upset about changing a melody to a hymn when our glorious churches were being remodeled, our high altars and communion rails ripped out, our beautiful vestments thrown in the dumpster, our beautiful statues smashed to smithereens, Latin being consigned to the ash heap of history and Gregorian chant reduced to a footnote in a textbook?

Were they as concerned for the sensibilities of the PIP's when ICEL imposed in 1970 their banal and absurd paraphrase of the Mass and had the temerity to refer to it as a "translation"?

Which is worse, to introduce a beautiful new melody to a favorite old hymn, or to throw out fifteen hundred years of liturgical tradition almost over night?

I'm just saying---right or wrong and absolutely no offense intended, but that's how this strikes me.
  • Go for it.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Any number of texts have been suggested in this forum for CONDITOR ALME SIDERUM and EISENACH ... so this doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me.
  • chonakchonak
    If you want to use it, I'd make it a piece for the choir; don't even invite the congregation to sing it. If any of them want to sing it, since they will surely know the text and may possibly know the tune, fine.
  • ronkrisman
    Chuck, you have written about your religious upbringing on this Forum. Had you been baptized and raised in the Catholic Church singing "Come, Holy Ghost" to a tune other than LAMBILLOTTE may seem out of the ordinary to you too. Just sayin'
  • GavinGavin
    Really? People are beating up on poor ol' LAMBILLOTTE now? It's a lot less trashy and waltzy than Immaculate Mary.

But Julie and Salieri have decided that they find the tune unfit for public worship, and are acting according to their consciences. Although I can't agree with their decision, I applaud their acting in accord with their best professional judgments.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Well, Ron, Episcopalians and our Anglican Use kindred sang it to MENDON, so perhaps LAMBILLOTTE might seem a little strange to them, too. Just sayin' ... and I rather think that singing it to MELCOMBE ("O Spirit of the Living God") might be an even better fit.

I do recall that the Doxology ("Praise God from whom all blessings flow") has been sung to CONDITOR ALME SIDERUM, which (even if sung in Advent) is quite a change from the expected OLD HUNDREDTH. Another time that CONDITOR... was suggested as a tune, someone said it was sort of like singing Christmas music in July, but there didn't seem to be any great objections otherwise. Also, I recall setting Adam Wood's "Eternal rest grant the we pray" to my own harmonization of EISENACH after he had used that text at a funeral with CONDITOR... .
  • rob
    Funny, but our choir had the same reaction to a tune which Veni Creator Spiritus is commonly set, also preferring WINCHESTER NEW.

It seems the association between text and tune is not as strong as one might assume.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ronkrisman
    Chuck, my issue is not with WINCHESTER NEW. While many Catholics may think this is an "Advent season tune" because they only know of its association with "On Jordan'sBank," I know that the tune has had many other pairings. So has CONDITOR ALME SIDERUM and other tunes often associated with the Advent season.

Nor do I fault Episcopalians and Anglicans for singing "Come, Holy Ghost" to tunes other than LAMBILLOTTE (perhaps even better tunes, musically).

My concern is only with the association of "Come, Holy Ghost" with LAMBILLOTTE by Catholics in the US. Above, @rob says that association is not as strong as one might assume. IMO, it is.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Spriggo
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Fr. Ron. In other words, if one (such as I, since you brought it up) is not a cradle Catholic, then one is just not "Catholic enough" to "get it" insofar as what is perhaps some real or mythical "holy turf" of Catholic vernacular hymnody? Maybe I don't belong to "the club" and have no business commenting here, since I don't really think that it is wrong for Catholics (or anyone) to be exposed to alternate tunes for hymn texts, even apparently(?) venerable(?) and cherished(?) texts (such as "Come, Holy Ghost").

Anyway, Salieri explained the rationale behind his decision, and we should be content with it.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • ryandryand
    Fr. Ron. In other words, if one (such as I, since you brought it up) is not a cradle Catholic, then one is just not "Catholic enough" to "get it" insofar as what is perhaps some real or mythical "holy turf" of Catholic vernacular hymnody?

I'm reading more of: If you weren't a cradle Catholic, then you severely underestimate the curmudgeonly buffonery of PIP's who can't adapt to singing something different. Which is really stupid... your upbringing causes you to think that too much is possible, that you think too highly of the musical flexibility of Catholics? IS OUTRAGE!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ronkrisman
    Chuck, I sincerely apologize if I was unclear in what I wrote and you took it to mean what you wrote. You will always be "Catholic enough," and I value all your contributions to this Forum.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • If the new edition of the Worship hymnal, not to mention other GIA publications is any indication, I find it surprising that one would find fault with singing a multitude of texts to tunes that are traditionally associated (not to mention aesthetically united) with specific texts. It so happens that Wincester New is one of the few tunes that really does marry well with a variety of texts, Pentecostal, Trinitarian, and others, though not, in my opinion, with the text in question here. There are, in fact, metred versions of the real traditional Gregorian tune to Veni creator that should be used with this text.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, whaddaya know! Salieri is not the first musician to set "Come, Holy Ghost" to another tune. It appears with Theodore Marier's tune MOUNT AUBURN in the Pius X Hymnal of 1953. Here's a copy from Marier's later hymnal.
  • Liam
    I would add that, in practice for many years, MOUNT AUBURN was sung with the tenor and organ not providing a third on the final cadence until the last verse.
  • ronkrisman
    Theodore Marier's tune MOUNT AUBURN

And, in addition to the two hymnals mentioned, in what other hymnals does MOUNT AUBURN appear?
    Thanked by 2Spriggo Gavin
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Fr. Krisman, I for one agree with you. When I first saw this it just struck me as really odd.

I also don't see a problem with the original Come Holy Ghost tune; if it sounds like a waltz you're playing it too fast.
  • PhatFlute
    How many melodies in total? I like the first one I heard, Lamb Be Late. ;)
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    cannot be played or sung in a dignified manner, and is completely unworthy of the temple.

For the record, I respectfully disagree. I find that tune wonderfully majestic and triumphant.
    Thanked by 2melofluent Spriggo
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I do recall that the Doxology ("Praise God from whom all blessings flow") has been sung to CONDITOR ALME SIDERUM, which (even if sung in Advent) is quite a change from the expected OLD HUNDREDTH

I've done this the last few years in Advents, except last year when I did it to VENI VENI (with the "Rejoice" at the end). Well received.

Also, though - i really love LAMBILOTTE, but everyone knows I have bad taste.
    Thanked by 2Gavin bkenney27
  • CharlesW
    There is far, far worse out there than Lambillotte. Unfortunately, my hymnal has a version "improved" upon by Proulx. I play it with as many of his additions removed as possible.
  • Liam
    DANBY, anyone?
  • fcbfcb
    Then there's the transformation of Lambillotte into 4/4 in the song "One Spirit, One Church. It turns what I think is an uplifting melody into a dirge. Bleh!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    In mention the following I am not trying to win/lose friends or influence/alienate people. I just do not see much gain in otherwise brilliant people here using inflamed rhetoric (doggeral....tripe etc.) or emotional expressions to express their distate for certain pieces of music.
    Kevin Keil's use of common meter does not of itself make the verse portion of the mentioned song a "dirge." Be clear, that result can only be laid upon the shoulders of its performance. And moreso, be contextual: Keil employed Lambilotte as a partnered song device (overlapping) so that upon the final refrain, third common verse of CHG (not Giffen!) functions as a sort of obligato over his original melody.
    No one need like it, but we of all people, should be intellectually honest when kvetching about such stuff.
    Thanked by 1ParleyDee
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    O HEILIGER GEIST (O spirit of life, O spirit of God) is one you don't hear too often, but it's worth a look; I found it in The Anglican Hymnal 1982. It's probably better known as O JESULEIN SUSS (O Jesus so sweet, O Jesus so mild).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8f5z0BbzGI

1 O Spirit of Life, O Spirit of God,
    In every need Thou bringest aid,
    Proceeding forth from God’s great throne,
    From God, the Father and the Son;
    O Spirit of Life, O Spirit of God.

2 O Spirit of Life, O Spirit of God,
    Increase our faith in our dear Lord;
    Unless your grace the power should give,
    None can believe in Christ and live;

3 O Spirit of Life, O Spirit of God,
    Make us to love your sacred Word;
    The holy flame of love impart,
    That charity may warm each heart;

4 O Spirit of Life, O Spirit of God,
    Enlighten us by that same Word;
    Teach us to know the God's radiant love,
    Lead us to Christ who reigns above:
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • fcbfcb
    Melo, sorry for my hyperbole. Perhaps it is simply the performance, but I've never heard "One Spirit, One Church" done in anything but a dirge-like manner.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • PhatFlute
    That is not a good translation.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    edit out ... maybe I'll have something to say one of these days ..

William
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I've never heard "One Spirit, One Church" done in anything but a dirge-like manner.

This is so odd. I've never heard it done at anything other than a happy-clappy, hold-on-for-dear-life-its-so-damn-fast manner.
  • ronkrisman
  • chonakchonak
    "O Spirit of Life" sounds like a good idea, but it has all these not very good rhymes:
    God/aid, throne/Son, etc. Is it a translation?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Chonak, I'm looking at my hymnal, and it's a translation from the German (Johann Neidling, 1603-1668) by John Caspar Mattes (1876-1948). Guess he was going with assonance instead of rhyme in this case?

Mattes also translated Verse 5 of Lo, How A Rose e'er blooming.