Hymn text analysis and suggestions
  • Kathy
    There have been a couple of interesting discussions about hymn texts here and on that other blog.

Fr. Joncas suggested that we open up discussions here about hymn texts.

I'd like to offer the following, and suggest that when reading it, an attempt should first be made to really understand it on its own terms first. What is it trying to say, something new, or is the message something well-established in the Tradition that is being re-stated in a new way here? How does it relate its message, rhetorically? What is the use being made of Scripture? Etc etc.

I think its best to begin this way because in my experience, everyone tends to come to hymnody with preferences that have perhaps been developed over many years, and these can get in the way of "listening" to a hymn on its own terms before making strong statements. So I suggest taking time, slowing down to smell the roses, and then make analytic points that really refer to the text we have here.

I'm attaching Colin Brumby's fine anthem treatment in case that helps. However, I would prefer that the discussion please stay focused on the text.

I feel confident about the hymn-craft on this text, but since there is always room for improvement, please feel free to make suggestions. Thanks!

Who is rising in the east
    like the light of many suns?
    Bridegroom coming to the feast:
    eagerly his race he runs.
    Splendor of the rising day,
    reaching out from end to end,
    all creation in his sway—
    and he calls the sinner “friend.”

Camel through the needle’s eye,
    for our sake becoming poor,
    so the Lord of earth and sky
    enters through a humble door:
    enters through a Virgin womb,
    rises from a borrowed grave.
    So he wills to gently come.
    Powerfully he comes to save.

He comes forth to be our food
    reigning from the Father’s hand.
    Eat and live: be filled with good.
    Drink, and you will understand.
    Every morning mercies new
    on the altar, grace for grace,
    fall like never-failing dew
    till we see him face to face.

• melofluentmelofluent
    Kathy, it's a joy to see you take up a common cause of immediate interest to you and Fr. Joncas.
    Who better to lead this than you?
    I know "over there" I said I don't often engage in critical text analysis, but you've graciously opened up the offer.
    First off, I love the multi-dimensional imagery found in all three stanzas, ie. "Drink, and you will understand....Every morning mercies new, on the altar....all creation in his sway. Marvelous.

First stanza- help me with whether the metaphors are consistent? The Bridegroom coming to the feast, (also) eagerly runs his race, and calls the sinner "friend." Theoretically, no problem is within each, but is the universality of the light of the east/Bridegroom of all beg a sort of cohesion?

Second stanza- love the womb/tomb linkage. But having the same verb, "enters" applied after the "humble door" also to the womb seems ill-fitted and reverse ordered to me. Perhaps "nurtured" or "cradled in" could make the analogy more apt?

Lovely, just lovely. Thank you.
  • Liam
    Some thoughts for grist:

Who is rising in the east
    like the light of many suns?
    Bridegroom coming to *his* feast:
    eagerly *the* race he runs.
    Splendor of the rising day,
    reaching out from end to end,
    all creation in his sway—
    *yet* he calls *each* sinner “friend.”

Camel through the needle’s eye,
    for our sake becoming poor,
    so the Lord of earth and sky
    enters through a humble door:
    through a *lowly* Virgin*’s* womb,
    rises from a borrowed grave.
    [the flow from the preceding line from the one preceding it is not ripe yet]
    So he wills to gently come.
    [The preceding line is too elliptical for my taste, fwiw - I assume you use "wills" instead of "deigns" but "wills" is capable of many shades of meaning that will puzzle someone not studying the text]
    Powerfully he comes to save.
  • fcbfcb
    I find the lack of articles accompanying "Bridegroom" and "Camel" a bit distracting, perhaps because it reminds me of an Iranian friend who habitually omits article (I guess they don't have them in Farsi). But I find the camel image ingenious as a gloss on Paul's statement about how for our sake Christ became poor. Is there a patristic of medieval precedent for that or is it your own insight? Of you don't mind, I might steal that for a homily some day.
  • Kathy
    I agree about the articles. I wonder why it's not as important on "splendor?"

Putting together the eye of the needle and the 2 Corinthians reference was my idea. It's rather daring, so I'm glad you think it's ok, Father.

Looks like the second verse is the most distracting one, from the comments!

Rewrite of lines 3 and 4:
    Like a Bridegroom to the feast/ eagerly His race He runs!

The reference is to Psalm 19, in which the sun goes from one end to the sky to the other, rejoicing.

In the heavens he has set a tent for the sun,
    which comes out like a bridegroom from his wedding canopy,
    and like a strong man runs its course with joy.
    Its rising is from the end of the heavens,
    and its circuit to the end of them;
    and nothing is hid from its heat

Lots of Fathers take this image in a Christological sense, and this was picked up by St. Ambrose in his Christmas hymn, Veni Redemptor Omnium:

Procedat e thalamo suo,
    pudoris aula regia,
    geminae gigas substantiae
    alacris ut currat viam.

Proceeding from His chamber free
    that royal home of purity
    a giant in twofold substance one,
    rejoicing now His course to run.
  • Liam
    To me, I'd prefer to underscore that it is his own feast (and it is his we attend in turn) the Bridegroom attends, while the race he runs is by definition his because he's running it.

Iambic meters tend to win out in English over trochaic precisely because they accommodate the use of articles when starting a verse with a noun. I wish all metrical indices of texts/tunes identified strongly trochaic or iambic ones...

• Kathy
    I wish all metrical indices of texts/tunes identified strongly trochaic or iambic ones...

I totally agree.

Regarding "his" race, I'd rather keep the biblical language as is in verse one

Verse 3 takes its cue from both the third chapter of Lamentations, "God's kindness is new every morning, so great is His faithfulness," and from the unspoken person of Moses. The prologue of the Gospel of John says "Of His fullness we have all received, grace in place of grace. For the law came through Moses, but grace and truth come through Jesus Christ." Moses gave our ancestors manna in the desert, but the true Bread, the grace in place of grace, comes through Jesus Christ. Like that.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Iambic meters tend to win out in English over trochaic precisely because they accommodate the use of articles when starting a verse with a noun.

Starting with a verb will tend to
    strengthen up your verses,
    pushing you t'ward trochee tunes that
    pulse like Latin curses.

Nouns can start on trochee accents-
    Also, most conjuctions.
    But only if the poet bends
    How trochee logic functions.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Adam, I don't know any Common Meter tunes that that would fit.
  • Liam
    Adam

One problem with reaching for verbs is to lapse too heavily into the gerund. I saw that Kathy was trying to maintain an almost strict balance in use of the gerund.

In the years when I was editing resumes, I would advise people to use clear, strong verbs to start their bulleted narratives.

Anapests, anyone?
  • Kathy
    I saw that Kathy was trying to maintain an almost strict balance in use of the gerund.

Thank you! What are you talking about?

"And/yet He calls the sinner friend" is an idea stolen from rather a lot of Charles Wesley's less famous texts, and from one of my favorite hymns called Wisdom by William Cowper. Pronounced "Cooper," by the way. It's based on an Old Testament reading we have every third Trinity Sunday. I hear it to Aurelia.

Ere God had built the mountains,
    Or raised the fruitful hills;
    Before He filled the fountains
    That feed the running rills;
    In me from everlasting,
    The wonderful I Am,
    Found pleasures never wasting,
    And Wisdom is my name.

When, like a tent to dwell in,
    He spread the skies abroad,
    And swathed about the swelling
    Of Ocean’s mighty flood;
    He wrought by weight and measure,
    And I was with Him then:
    Myself the Father’s pleasure,
    And mine, the sons of men.

Thus Wisdom’s words discover
    Thy glory and Thy grace,
    Thou everlasting Lover
    Of our unworthy race!
    Thy gracious eye surveyed us
    Ere stars were seen above;
    In wisdom Thou hast made us,
    And died for us in love.

And couldst Thou be delighted
    With creatures such as we,
    Who, when we saw Thee, slighted,
    And nailed Thee to a tree?
    Unfathomable wonder,
    And mystery divine!
    The voice that speaks in thunder,
    Says, "Sinner, I am thine!"
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Adam, I don't know any Common Meter tunes that that would fit.
    Of course you don't. Common Meter is 86.86 Iambic, while Adam's text is 86.86 Trochaic.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Like a Bridegroom to the feast/ eagerly His race He runs!
    Kathy, if you are capitalizing Bridegroom, His, and He for the reasons I think you are, then shouldn't it be "Like the Bridegroom to the feast..."?
  • Kathy
    Yes. This is a tough call. "Bridegroom" is a name of Christ in a real way, not just as a simile (Ephesians ch. 5). So that suggests capitalization.

In the Psalm, it is a simile, so the lowercase might be preferred. But, it's a simile which the Church has understood to be a foreshadowing figure of Christ.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Adam's text is 86.86 Trochaic.

Yes. Well- mostly.

I have a sort of foot fetish for trochees.
    Thanked by 3Liam Gavin CHGiffen
  • Liam
    And a lot of contemporary composers have a foot fetish with irregular amphibrachs without realizing it. So many 6/8 time settings of the former text of the Gloria....
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    irregular amphibrachs

The ill-fated followup to the Mutant Turtles.

• Liam
    LOL
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Nice.