• rogue63
    I have one gentleman in my newly-formed men's schola who is singing badly----off-pitch, off-key, off the axis totally. He has no sense of pitch at all, it seems, and he has blundered through a couple of Masses with us. Yesterday, we sang for a Benediction, and there were a few comments from the public about the noticeable single voice that sang badly. I'm willing to meet the guy privately to help him out, but how do I have the conversation about "not joining us again until you're ready?" It's demoralizing to the rest of the group, who are already a bit nervous about singing in public anyway, and I don't want them to be embarrassed by one bad singer. Any suggestions on how to broach that topic of "retirement" with him?
  • here is a thread that addresses this problem. Have a look at it and see what you think.
  • GavinGavin
    I emphasize that their contributions to the parish are welcome, but that a leadership role in the music ministry is not suited to their talents.
  • francis
    I qualify invitations to prospective cantors stating that only those who are willing to be trained and are accepted will be able to participate. Usually after three or four half-hour rehearsals they begin to get the message without saying it to them directly. During the training sessions I stop playing as soon as they go off pitch and then go over the problematic phrase a few times. Another thing is to record them and then play it back to them. Many times they don't know what they sound like until they hear it for themselves. I programmed one prospect to sing at a liturgy three weeks into the future and called them every week and set up a half hour rehearsal. When they realized that I had taken the time with them each week to rehease something they could not master (a single psalm for a single liturgy), it became sorely obvious it was beyond their ability. You always want to be their advocate until they come to a self realization.

This is definitely the most difficult part of being a DM, takes great tact, charity, patience and careful handling. I have not done this with a prospective choir member, but I think it could work just the same.
  • CharlesW
    I don't know how that singer is getting to mass at your church, because he has been singing in my choir for years. Unfortunately, he's a bass, which I am rather desperate for. He's a pillar of the church, parish council, etc., soul of charity, and has family that sings beautifully - which is probably why he wants to sing, too. I am afraid I am stuck with him. The former director would let the choir sit idle for 10 minutes at a time while she tried to pound notes into his head. He would then proceed to sing the wrong thing. I have just given up and asked the tenors to drown him out. I know we probably long for professional choirs, but don't we all just have to work with what we've got? Some days, it all seems to come together and is beautiful. So, apparently miracles still happen.
  • mjballoumjballou
    No, CharlesW, he's singing down here in Florida at several parishes.
    While Francis has a great approach with new singers, most of us face the question of the established, longtime choir member who's in place when we come on the scene. And since you can't ask all members of a volunteer choir to submit their resignations for you to keep in a drawer to use at will, you climb on to the wobble board of pastoral vs. musical. One tactic I've used in the past is to use the best voice parts for motets, anthems, whatevers and have the whole choir, including the errant singers, reserved for things where the whole church is singing. All of these presuppose that the difficult voice is fairly soft.

With beginner groups, I've done lots of canons. When I had a gentle monotone in the bass section, we never let the men finish or people would wonder what that strange buzzing was - and it was Patrick in the back row!
  • francis
    mj:

I did this with an established cantor/choir member.
  • mjballoumjballou
    I think cantors fall into a special category. (Actually I wish in most places that they didn't exist.) Leaving aside all the liturgical implications, singing the psalm verses in most parishes is a front-and-center solo turn. And I've met people with astonishingly bad voices who are addicted to that performance. What makes the "reality intervention" more difficult, is the cadre of folks over the years who have told them that they were great. Why they did this I don't know - misguided charity or perhaps they're musically challenged as well. Nonetheless, the poor singer falls back on these "reviews" when confronted. If the choir director persists, the next stop for the singer may be the pastor's office. So give the pastor a heads-up if this is coming - and get your point of view in there first.
  • I have two ideas for you that involve exposing such a voice DURING REHEARSAL, in hopes that the one singing badly will realize just how badly... in agreement with Francis in helping along self realization.

1- Get creative with a tape recorder, taping sections, taping just part of the choir, etc., so the singer can hear himself aside from when he's actually singing.
    2- Have people sing in quartets or duos so the one singing badly may hear how other singers are impacted.

After a time, the whole choir gets a speech that goes like this, 'Wrong notes, etc., are not even venial sins, so there is no judgment of people who sing badly. But considering people take time to give their best to God, wouldn't it make sense if people used their time wisely? Pursue excellence in what truly suits you, not just what you like, and you have a greater chance of giving glory to God and serving the Church.'

Ok, that talk can get a little drippy, but you get the point.
  • That off axis singer is down here in Mexico and he is not in the choir at all -- he is the celebrant, off-axing into a super-amped microphone.
  • G
    Joseph, you're in Mexico?
    Forgive me going way off topic, and perhaps prying, but judging from your surname name you are not Latino -- so if you are in music ministry in Mexico, you might be in a position to give some serious advice to any number of us here.
    I want to be accommodating to a growing Spanish-speaking immigrant population in my parish, but I don't really want to introduce cheesy quasi-folk-Hispanic songs and hymns, from the likes of OCP.
    (And hymns are a necessity, the Latin propers are not an option for me, right now.)
    What resources are you using and could you recommend? I heard rumors of one fine Mexican hymnal which seemed out of print (can't remember the name)
    Thanks for any help or ideas.

(Save the Liturgy, save the World)
  • francis
    joseph... you can get a pitch converter for him... i believe cher uses it on some of her pieces. it adjusts your pitch to next closest half tone. (sounds a bit robotic, but will definitely train him how to sing on pitch!)
  • G: I am not in music ministry in Mexico, and really don't know much about spanish language resources. But your comment about "serious advice to any number of us here" suggests there might be some use for some web resources for people in your position. Perhaps you should head up a Forum thread on "resources for Spanish speaking congregations in the US" and see how much response you get.
  • rogue63
    Wow...I didn't realize my schola member was so well traveled. I'll ask him to buy me a t-shirt from the local shops. Thanks for all the suggestions!

On a related note, though, what are the membership numbers for men's scholae out there? I've got 4-5 men right now, and I'm hoping to expand (mostly to drown this guy out---well, only halfway kidding) but I'd like to know what kind of numbers others are working with.
  • francis
    Joseph... it is a pitch correction unit. I ONLY recommend it to train one how far off the pitch one gets. NEVER EVER use it in public and NEVER in a church!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_correction