Interesting thread at PTB (new hymn text)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    http://www.praytellblog.com/index.php/2014/06/01/hymns-these-days/

Entitled "Hymns These Days," there is a growing interest about the textual content of contemporary hymnody. Already Joncas, Keil, Inwood and others have weighed in and I think it would be of interest for many of us here (Wood, Pluth, FNJ, Giffen et al) to engage their commentary and insights.

As an example of a recent new author and a new text, Kevin Keil posted this:

WHO IS THE CRUCIFIED?
    Who is the crucified? Oh, that a god should fall! That he through whom the world was made should bleed for it as well. ’Tis Christ, the Son of God, who suffered to save all. Infinity bound into flesh broke all the bonds of hell!

Who is the crucified? ’Tis Jesus, Son of Man, who, from a virgin mother born, lived out a mortal span. He grew as all men do, and loved as all men can. To give us life he gave his life—oh, kiss his wounded hand!

Who is the crucified? The risen one is he! Death waged a war against him once, but died on Calvary. The lamb who once was slain arose to set us free. He offers us his cross, himself, that we might rise as he!

Who is the crucified? ’Tis he who will return when all our days have run their course—may it be soon! We yearn to hear him speak in truth and see his justice done, and watch his wounded hands reach out to welcome faithful ones.

Now praise the crucified, all you who love his name, all you who serve him in the poor, who give up wealth and fame, who watch for him by night and wait for him by day, who love as he has shown you love—Praise Him eternally!

© 2012, Kate Bluett. Published by OCP Publications. All rights reserved.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ronkrisman
    Thanks for the heads up, Melo. I'll check it out.

I've never seen the text before, but my first impression is that it appears the hymnwriter wrote it to be sung to the tune DIADEMATA (since SMD tunes and texts are rather rare). If so, I can see a problem with singing "cruciFIED" (five times, no less) to that tune.

Also a first impression. I find it odd that contemporary English is used for the text - except for the three "'tis"es.

Other problems I see, but I'll post them at PTB.
  • Kathy
    I'm not allowed on Pray Tell, so I'll post my reaction here.

I like the text a lot. Hymn text craft is really rare, and Kate Bluett has got it. Her religious sense is excellent too. Looking forward to more!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Jahaza
  • francis
    Kathy:

NOT ALLOWED? !! WOW... May God Bless You And Keep You.

I disallowed myself years ago.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Kate Bluett's hymn is pretty nice. I wonder what OCP will do with it.
  • To me it seems disjointed, sort of too many ideas all strung together, hardly "contemporary" language. Hard to write a tune for it.