St. Louis Institute of Sacred Music
  • G
    Fr Weber, one of my heroes....

Musical settings of the Ordinary of the Mass and various Propers for the liturgical seasons, saints’ feast days, the sacraments, and other occasions are made available on the Archdiocese of St. Louis Institute of Sacred Music web site. The music is now available for free download as PDF (Portable Document Format) files.

Settings for Advent and Christmas are currently available. Additional settings will be made available in the near future.

To access the music, go to www.archstl.org/worship/ and select the Institute of Sacred Music.

The Director of the Institute, Father Samuel Weber, OSB, in addition to composing music for Mass, is also instructing seminarians at Kenrick School of Theology in Gregorian chant. Because many of the students are unfamiliar with either Latin or chant, Father Weber said, “we are beginning very simply”.

First the students are introduced to the Gregorian psalm tones; then the more complex chants of the Graduale Romanum, and other Mass chants. The entire seminary sings the chants, led by the Schola Cantorum. A current project is to learn the Requiem Mass for All Souls Day according to the 1962 Missal.

I suspect many of you are receiving these setting already by email.
    H/t to Adoreum Bulletin http://www.adoremus.org/1108NewsViews.html
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • I was privileged to attend the Saturday morning session of the Gateway Liturgical Conference last month. Fr. Weber is my hero, too. I enjoyed meeting him and visiting with him. I am going to download some of the items and give them to our Cathedral organist. We don't have a choir, but, maybe he can do something with them. Unfortunately, while my parish has a choir, the really good singers (who are also members of our local philharmonic chorale) seem to prefer the taudry stuff from Sprit and Song. It's a shame that their magnificent voices are wasted on that stuff instead of using the great works that Fr. Weber has done.