• henrik.hank
    Pax!
    How are your organ(s) tuned? Equal temperament?
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Equal temperament; A=440hz
  • CharlesW
    Equal A=440
  • francis
    allen renaiassance has numerous settings

for organ works i use various tunings i.e.

just intonation
    meantone
    werckmeister
    pathagorean
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I'm definitely no expert in tuning, and I confess to not even really having a good understanding of the various systems.

Our organ, as it has been explained to me, is NOT tuned in equal temperament, but it is substantially close. Our tuning was compared to Valotti, although it is not exactly Valotti, and has been also compared to the tuning that John Brombaugh pioneered. http://plaza.ufl.edu/wnb/baroque_temperament.htm
  • henry
    How often do most people have their pipe organs tuned? I'm told in Europe it's only about every five years or so.
  • CharlesW
    My Schantz will stay in tune for about 1 year.
  • francis
    You don't have to tune all the pipes... usually the reeds are the greatest offenders, and I have tuned them many times.
  • henrik.hank
    If the organ isn't tune to A=440 and the chanter/choir use A=440 wouldn't we have a problem?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The voice is very adaptable to various pitches, and tuning, say, to A=432 or A=442, or even A=418 ("Baroque" pitch, a semitone below A=440) generally presents no problem to singers ... except the few that have absolute ("perfect") pitch (who can be a problem themselves if their absolute pitch is equally tempered).