volunteer musicians and tithing
  • BenBen
    Yes, I know. Musicians should be paid. But for those volunteer musicians out there who play or direct on a weekly or very regular basis for whatever reason, do you consider that part of your tithe?

I'm not really talking about one-off Masses/events where you volunteer to do it as a help, I'm thinking of you who are volunteering every week or a couple times a month with little or no stipend due to the parish/group/community circumstances.
  • CharlesW
    The local diocese asks for tithes of time, money, and talent. So the diocese evidently thinks it is part of a tithe.
  • GavinGavin
    Sorry, I missed the bit about "volunteer"....

I would suggest that volunteers should bill out of their tithe. That is to say, if you put in 5 hours at the church, tithe 1/8 less, since 1/8 of your productive time is going to the Church.

Ultimately, it's a private decision and the individual person must make that call.
  • Jani
    I didn't used to consider it, but after having a couple conversations here, I do now. I don't, however, call it a tithe. It's just another donation.
  • BenBen
    Thanks all!
  • donr
    I donate a ton of time to the church, not just in the music ministry but with Knights of Columbus.
    I also give a small sum in the weekly collection and to other charities like immaculate heart radio, Catholic Charities and the like.
    Financially I do not give 10% of my Gross, but if you figure all the time and all the publications and learning materials that I purchase for my choir, out of pocket, I give way more than 10% of Gross, this does not include the time my wife puts in as accompanist.
    We do get paid for Weddings and Funerals.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I include whatever I am paid through any source (church, secular work, garage sale revenue) in "income" and we do 10% - 5% to our parish and 5% for "special projects" which might be anything from a specific charity or natural disaster cause to helping an out-of-work neighbor pay their rent.

Volunteer work does not absolve me any of the 10%. Otherwise, that would be paid work, which would increase the base for 10% at the same time that it is credits against it. And then I'd have to remember calculus or something.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • Same situation at my church as CharlesW. We tithe both time/talent and income, but being a low income family there are many times when my "faith in fiddles" is all I have to give. For me, I consider anything a person has to offer part of their tithe, and I feel fortunate to be in a church community that supports this.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CCooze
  • CharlesW
    I agree. Whatever you can give is all God expects of you. I rarely mention this, but I give back 20 to 25% of what the parish pays me. Half goes to the parish and the other half goes to Catholic charitable organizations that help the poor. This is not a boast but gratitude that I am able to do this. I have been in the position in my younger days when I had more time than money to give. I suspect the Lord appreciated the offering of what I had. I think He still does whether it be money or time.