Help for an EF wedding.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I will be doing an EF wedding this August - High Mass. I have only been to one, and it was a Low Mass. Music is, basically, all set : a Mass from the Kyriale - maybe du Mont's Messe Royal! - and propers from the Graduale (need to find out what Mass will be used), etc. But, is there anything ceremony-wise I should watch out for that might trip me up?
  • Look out for a blessing upon the bride before the Agnus Dei, iirc.
    If I'm not mistaken, the propers are from the Nuptial Mass only. And they're lovely.
  • Hi,
    There is this lovely EF Nuptial Mass on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqXQA6diVvU
    from Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in El Paso.

Chant music is to be found:
    - page 1288 in the Liber Usualis,
    - page GR[121] in the Graduale Romanum.
  • Salieri,

Depending on the date of the wedding, the propers may be of the feast, instead of the Nuptial propers.
  • I stand corrected. What is it, Chris? A first class feast?
  • MaryAnn,

I'll have to look it up to be sure, but I think any First Class feast can't be displaced by a Nuptial Mass.

When someone scheduled a Mass for September 29, the Propers for St. Michael took precedence.

It's the same basic idea, I think, with celebrations of a votive Mass for the Sacred Heart on First Friday.

In the case of August, a wedding on August 14th or 15, for example, would have the Propers for the Assumption or its Vigil.

When in doubt, consult an Ordo.

Cheers,

Chris
  • SalieriSalieri
    The date of the Wedding is August the 16th. I believe that the nuptial votive Mass cannot displace a 1st or 2nd class feast, yes/no?

I don't have a copy of the 1962 Ordo for the US, yf someone could give me a heads-up if there's a feast that takes precedence, I'd appreciate it.

I have to say that I am very much looking forward to this.
  • The Nuptial Mass is a votive mass of the 2nd class and so can be said on an ordinary 2nd class feast day such as St. Joachim on Sat., August 16. Proper chants are here.
  • Arthur, I'm not sure if you're involved with the website, and I'd like to thank whoever maintains it. We use their PDF propers all the time, and find it a very generous service to the Church.
  • chonakchonak
    If you need some chant ringers to supplement your schola, I could pass the word here around Boston.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Returning to a happier topic.

Does anyone have any TB (or TTB) motets that would be suitable and easy to learn?

Looking at Noel's TB Ave Verum, already.
  • BenBen
    look at all of heath's motets, which I have indexed here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1dynkg25qfe8b75/AACstDm5V9oHFTDNdyJZug6ja
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • PhatFlute
    I am not Chinese (Vietnamese actual), but hear my fortune about weddings!

Confucius say: Gregorian chant at wedding is like banjo at funeral
    Lucky numbers: 33, 43, 25, 56, 88

Any one recognize my lucky number?
  • SalieriSalieri
    Thanks Ben. This is Extraordinary Form, though, so Latin is preferable!
  • BenBen
    As for TTB, check out the Secunda Anthologia Vocalis. It's full of stuff you can use.

Download a PDF by clicking the link above, or buy a printed copy here:

spiral bound | perfect bound | hardback

I have sung many of them before, and they are lovely. All in Latin too.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    Set Me As a Seal

TB, optional Organ solo voice.
    Latin TB English TB English SA

Preparation: This may be sung a cappella. You may also use the organ to play the voice parts while being learned and even while singing if necessary, however, when thoroughly confident. the organ should play only its part, with the volume keeping the organ stop sound just below the sound of the voices - enough to be heard, but not to ever carry above the voices.
    Thanked by 2Salieri Jahaza
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    In my experience, an Ave Maria setting is often sung at weddings. Here is my 2-part TB setting.
  • Paul F. Ford
    Ben's mention of the Ravanello anthology sent me looking. I found Michele Saladino's In Te Domine Speravi and here is a link to a beautifully engraved score on Chris Mueller's site.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • PhatFlute
    Lucky numbers: 33, 43, 25, 56, 88

Serious? Person doesn't recognize my lucky numbers? I try to use Ward method notation and pull straight out of Marier hymnal
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    Who wants a Nuptial Mass without translations? I've always wondered why people assume knowledge of the translation. All are welcome to use this edition.
  • PhatFlute
    What is EF wedding anyways?
  • There's a youtube link up there of Extraordinary Form nuptials.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    What is EF wedding anyways?

"EF" is short for Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite (commonly called the "Traditional Latin Mass" or "Tridentine Rite"), that is - the Liturgy of the Church as it was formulated prior to the reforms following the Second Vatican Council, specifically according to the ritual books and legislation promulgated or otherwise in force in 1962.

It was designated "the Extraordinary Form" in Summorum Pontificum, the Apostolic Letter by Pope Benedict XVI which made clear that this liturgical form may still be used.

So - an "EF Wedding" is a wedding mass celebrated according to this older form of the Rite.
    Thanked by 1Cantus67
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    Here's some help.
  • PhatFlute
    I like it. I don't see weddings in my future.
  • chonakchonak
    Probably the first notable distinction about EF weddings is that the wedding is conducted first; and the Mass follows it, without the integration which exists in the modern form of the rite.