Hymn for Sacred Heart
  • What favorite hymns to the Sacred Heart can y'all mention? I need to choose one for the 65 kids who will be singing at the first Chant Camp this year, which falls on the feast of the the Sacred Heart (old calendar).

Simple and specific. Tangents and diatribes will be tolerated, though likely ignored by stressed out OP.
  • MaryAnn,

Can I send you a text and a tune -- an original composition?

Chris
  • Sure, and thank you. Since I can't communicate tone, please know that I'm sincerely grateful and infamously picky regarding composition. So please don't be offended if I don't use it.
    Good for writing one, too. Seems there is a dearth of good hymns for the feast.
  • G
    There was a setting of the Litany of the Sacred Hart we did at the closing Mass of one of the chant intensives Scott gave at Loyola. -- I'm not able to put my hands on it now, but I think melofluent might have it?
    Scott recognized it as adapted from a Bach chorale.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Xav
    To Jesus' Heart All Burning
    divides opinion but I don't mind it, for sentimental reasons.
    Plus, they'll always be able to recycle the hymn in any month that has a First Friday in it!
    As an alternative, http://nla.gov.au/nla.mus-vn2152603-s86.
  • Kathy
    Ooo! I got this. So Tenderly He Raises Me, from my CanticaNOVA collection, sung to Brother James' Air.
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    If you would like to hear a variety of Sacred Heart hymns (about 25) sung superbly by various choirs, please visit my website: www.catholicdevotionalhymns.com

Additional hymns will be added throughout 2014.

Links to the sources of many of the hymns are also included.

Thanked by 2CHGiffen Kathy
  • Most helpful! Thanks, all!
  • What favorite hymns to the Sacred Heart can y'all mention? I need to choose one for the 65 kids who will be singing at the first Chant Camp this year, which falls on the feast of the the Sacred Heart (old calendar).

I happen to be involved in planning a liturgy for the Sacred Heart solemnity. Some hymns we'll probably use that relate to the Sacred Heart are: "There's a Wideness in God's Mercy" and "All You Who Seek a Comfort Sure" (to the tune of Kingsfold). We'll also probably use "Holy God, We Praise Thy Name".

P.S. What do you mean by "old calendar"?
  • OlbashOlbash
    O Sacred Heart, Our Home Lies Deep With Thee

R R Terry tune

My graduate advisor John McIntyre did a brass/choral arrangement of it for my Masters recital, so it holds a special place in my heart.