Forum Language
  • I had thought that there were certain standards of language, tone, and decency expected and in force on this forum. It is very disturbing and offensive to see these standards blatantly ignored without even a word from the moderators. One person, in particular, seems to be the most egregious offender, and has been so again today in the discussion of cantors. Can we not expect better language and manners on what is supposed to be a civilised forum, free from foul language and crass attitudes?
    Thanked by 1ChantingOrgan
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    It pains me to say that I visited, perused and made a valiant attempt to discern who this culprit, this egregious offender might be. Alas and alack, such a person fails to understand and appreciate the heights to which the English language should be raised to when posting and it is imperative that decency this group demands (isn't it common knowledge that after hours when posting to this group all gentlemen must be be adorned with a smoking jacket and it is expressly forbidden that never, never...well hardly never, should someone post while wearing that vile, putrid bit of cloth referred to as (I hesitate to write this) a T shirt, especially if it has, prominently displayed, any reference to a beverage that may, at times, contain alcohol.

The moderators should be roundly flogged for the crass and totally inappropriate language that this miscreant has spewed forth, even when used to underscore the importance and impact of what it is affirming to be true.

It is common knowledge that this person, I understand fully, that this person, who obviously lacks education and probably only graduated from high school by avoiding flunking biology for his care of the guppy tank and art by doing a stellar job of cleaning and polishing the stainless steel sink in the art room day after day. [edited - proven even more by his inability to create a sentence that makes sense]

It may be time for the moderators to be replaced with those who really, really know and understand how a forum should be run for the preservation of its most high ideals like the person that has raised this timely complaint. that this is mother's day in the US and those of tender heart and ear have been dining and have not had to experience this awful misstep.

The Oxford dictionary has a lengthy article on the use of this miserable word and it is of interest to read an example from the dictionary.

Condemn, especially by the public expression of disapproval:

intellectuals whom he damns as rigid doctrinaire idealists

This is of especial interest as it seems to show that the word can be used within scholarly discussion and is not, as it appears to have been implied above, that it is a word that by itself constitutes a sin in and by itself.

So let's raise the question, should this miscreant be banned from life on earth in perpetuity, or just from this auspicious and austere group of scholars?

Or don't you give a ________?
  • CharlesW
    Oh dear God in Heaven. What next? ROFL.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • ryandryand
    Condemned accurate we gentlemen ought communicate in the scholarly tongue!
  • G
    You boys have turned me into my Mother....
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • chonakchonak
    A search with Google turns up 21 of the past participle (d***ed). Most of the cases are reasonable uses: e.g., references to the lost souls in Hades; or references to being condemned. A few are cussing: using the word as a mere emphatic.

There are 47 uses of the simple verb (d**n). Alas, most of these are just cussing, and worse, most are misspelled! In most of the cases, the writer meant to use the past participle, but left off the -ed. That is a . . . shame.
  • francis
    Well, I'll be 'thrown to the devils'!

So from now on I will use TTTD when expressing the same sentiment.
  • kenstb
    It seems like the language police solved the problem. I just looked at the thread and found no foul words.
  • CharlesW
    The sinner recanted his errors. ;-)
  • francis
    Well, then, I am guilty too at previous points in time. I should be scourged.
    I wrote it someone else deleted it without asking my permission.

What a fowl thing to do...but MJO got his way. Francis, it is always better to be scourged than discouraged. But you knew that since you understand the true meaning to TTTD.
  • Blaise
    I assume this forum is for decent ladies and gentleman? Do we have to have a separate thread to remind everyone that this is a Catholic forum....and consequently that we should act as befitting one who bears witness to the Holy Name of Christ?

I have read all the posts after mine in the cantors' thread....and have found no evidence of such a foul individual. What did I miss?

I always appear to miss the excitement. (purple)
  • francis
    Well, Jesus used the term 'brood of vipers'. I guess we could also use that one?
  • CharlesW
    Does the biblical curse generator still exist? It used to be on Ship of Fools, but I haven't noticed it there for some time.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I saw the original comment. I disagree with the idea that the comment was supporting.

None the less, there was NOTHING offensive about it. And I don't know what to say to those who claim to be so sensitive as to not be able to hear/read/say the word "damn."

I don't even consider that to be a cuss word; it is said in my workplace and no one bats an eyelash.

Furthermore, it was addressed AT NO ONE, at least not in an angry tone.

"Damn right" is now a cause for controversy to our delicate ears?

I usually totally agree with MJO on most things. But not on this particular one.

That word is now a CURSE WORD? My goodness, when I was in HIGH SCHOOL that wasn't even considered a curse word by teachers or administrators. It was fine to say.
  • CharlesW
    Teach in Middle School for awhile, and your whole perception of what is profanity changes markedly. LOL.
    Thanked by 1PaixGioiaAmor
  • ryandryand
    Damn right

condemned accurate

Teach in Middle School for awhile, and your whole perception of what is profanity changes markedly. LOL.

You might learn a new phrase or two!
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • CharlesW
    You might learn a new phrase or two!

I have, even one I had never heard of or even imagined.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Seriously, Jackson?
    That's all you got?
    Dies irae!
  • GavinGavin
    I, for one thank Jackson for his plea to decency of language, even as one who stands regularly condemned of the same offense. This is a forum for issues pertaining to the public exercise of the Christian faith. We hold ourselves to a better standard in our speech. "It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a man, but what comes out of it."

Besides, maybe if we can elevate the level at which ideas are here proposed, maybe we can also elevate the quality of those ideas....
  • jpal
    The "crass attitudes" mentioned by MJO are why I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to wean myself away from this forum, except when I have a specific practical question which I think may be answered somewhere in previous posts (thanks to Google for that). I have refrained from commenting when I observe these attitudes because it becomes clear to me that my replies would be throwing gasoline on the fire, that I would be contributing to the very thing I dislike. I have built up a collection of dozens of draft comments which have served the valuable function of showing me my own diseased attitudes, and for that I am very grateful.

I do not make any pretense at humility. I myself am truly and unquestionably the most arrogant and condescending person that I know, and I see it clearly when I read through conversations purely for the morbid fascination of watching the fireworks, then write a heated comment which is generally restrained by what little common sense I have remaining (or at least edited without the bite before I post it).

Here is where I am going with this: this forum used to inspire and move me. My parish went through a very difficult transition, and advice from this forum was invaluable in helping me know what to do next (and how to correct my many missteps). Lately, rather than inspire, it turns me sour, particularly a pervasive attitude of sarcastic condescension which exists in several frequent posters. The extremely useful discussions are often buried under an intolerably large heap of mud (this very thread being a case-in-point), and I just personally can't handle it anymore. Call me weak-spirited, thin-skinned, or anything else if you will, but that is the truth of it.

This will be my last post, though perhaps in a while I will return and see if things have gotten any different. I do not anticipate that I will be missed very much, since I have never been a particularly valuable contributor, but I do feel that I would be remiss in leaving without saying what was on my mind. Perhaps this deliberation of mine is more about my own issues than anything else, and if so, feel free to ignore it and draw your own conclusions. God bless you all!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    A Mannerist Implosion. Who'd a thunk it?
    I did, seven years ago. And said so then.
    And some of the usual suspects who focus upon "crass language" and "decency" have also been the first ones to condemn me for bringing Jesus into the equation of some of our deliberations. You all know who you are.
    What you don't seem to recognize is that we, each of us, is in point of fact, Christ Jesus, the Lord. Sometimes when you're hungry, homeless, naked, sick, lonely, incarcerated, you're going to hear crass language.
    God forbid such should denigrate our noble ruminations.
    And Gavin, you're in Texas, for cryin' out loud.
    Honestly.
  • francis
    Personally, I don't find a lot of 'crass' going on here. Sometimes we get our danders up and sometimes we get testy, but on the whole, I find those on this forum quite respectful of each other. Camps do lob dirty bombs once in a while, but they tend to be innocuous.

I very much enjoy all the conversations here. I wouldn't take back a single of my 5000+ posts. In lieu of not having much contact with other musicians since I live so remotely, you, forum friends, are truly my friends.

I thank you all.
  • As said by an annoyed mother to her unruly offspring in the Winn Dixie (Florida, 1970s): "I. Have. Just. Two. Words. To. Say. To. You: Be. Have."
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I think we should all just post exactly like Melofluent... nobody would know exactly what was going on or what we were talking about, but it would also sound pleasant, gentlemanly, and fascinating.
  • ryandryand
    The internet has a solution, and it goes by the name of Joseph Decreux.

[Translation: Use the popular internet meme "Ye Old Englishman"]
    Thanked by 2Gavin ZacPB189
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Thanks I suppose, MattyewJM, and stop calling me "Shirley." As in "Surely he hath borne our grief."
    Can we return to discussing music? Heck, even PTB is doing more of that than we are here.
  • Kathy
    Just by the bye, an old beau of mine, who used other, more colorful expressions, would not use the word d**n. He said that was a divine prerogative, not a human one, and to say the word was presumptuous.

He had very nice eyes.

Otherwise I agree with Daniel Page, and will add, "Don't make me stop this car!"

Peace out.
  • G
    Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa....
    I thought ALL y'all was being funny, and then I mistakenly thought I was being funny.

Darn! It was funny, drat it! Drat, drat, drat!

(referring to G's deleting the original post in his/her roles as an administrator, bending to the will of those who are not moderators, but apparently would aspire to have this amount of power)
  • CharlesW
    Dagnabbit! It's just gosh-darn ridiculous!
  • francis
    Well, I'll be TTTD!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    You ding-dang varmints better watch your phraseology.
  • kenstb
    "varmints"... Very Yosemite Sam. I like it.
  • G
    "Her," thank you.

But in all seriousness now.... was MJO kidding or not?
    I would never have deleted anything for failing to reflect actual standards of language, tone, and decency, because I have no standards, apparently.
    Going off now to cuss quietly to myself...
  • I have read all the posts after mine in the cantors' thread....and have found no evidence of such a foul individual. What did I miss?

I don't know if this happened, but perhaps an admin deleted any foul posts, and that is why they're not there anymore.
  • chonakchonak
    Yes, moderator G (above) indicated that she removed it.