Settings for the Invitatory
  • Adoremus
    I'm currently looking for some chant settings for the invitatory (antiphons and psalms for the different weeks /seasons) for the liturgy of the hours (english "gregorian," adaptation of gregorian tones or new melodies). We will be using it for our school celebration of the loth... I hope somebody can help... Thanks...
  • Do you mean the proper tones to Ps 95(=Ps 94) venite exultemus.This had tones of its own.i have both latin texts and Anglican BCP (1662,19280 ) texts adapted by G H palmer and W H Frere (MS)Also invitatory antiphons,latin and English texts.
  • Yes dirkvandissel. I mean the proper tones for the Venite exultemus psalm. Can you share it with me... Thanks

• Seriously? They stole my setting of the invitatory introduction! That was my most unique composition, and they stole it!
  • igneusigneus
    :)
  • I'm bumping this thread... I have a dim memory that St. Meinrad's had a leaflet with suggestions for how to "improv" any antiphon to match it to their psalm tones. However, I've not had any luck finding this again on their site. Can anyone help?
  • Liam
    As an aside, as this is not chant but polyphony, if anyone would like a polyphonic version of Domine labia mea aperies, the setting by Orlando di Lasso aka Lassus is supernal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mt-8RWTGGs
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • If you send me a private message with your email I can send you a file I have with english tones for the Invitatory Psalms. When we sing in english we sing the antiphon in directus. On Sundays and Feasts we use the Latin from the LIber Hymnarius