Am I Skilled/Smart/Involved/Erudite/Advanced Enough to Come to Indy?
  • G
    I've read a few little snippets here there and the other place and had a conversation or two IRL where someone expressed doubts about whether what the Colloquium has to offer might be over his head.... the short answer is "no", the long answer is "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"!

I've always figured with opportunities like this that even if I don't "get" everything, as long as I keep my ears and mind open, (and don't, say, audibly destroy that with which my schola was tasked by pretending to know more than I do,) I'm going to come out ahead.

And let me tell you, at the CMAA Colloquium I have come out waaaaay ahead.

Anyway, I found a quote from Sojourner Truth that expresses this perfectly.
    If my cup won't hold but a pint, and yours holds a quart, wouldn't you be mean not to let me have my little half measure full
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • matthewjmatthewj
  • Jani
    Hands down, of ALL the money I have spent on workshops, and some my parish has spent on my behalf, the 2013 Colloquium was by far the best investment made. I went because Jeffrey Tucker recommended it to me after hearing my story. The only thing I knew about chant or sacred music at the time was that I knew nothing! Trust me.....if you want to sing, GO!!!

One regret- natural shyness prevented me from approaching some of you who frequent the forum, but it was an honor to be in your presence all the same.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    One regret- natural shyness prevented me from approaching some of you who frequent the forum

Yeah, Jani, Noel can be a tad intimidating! And don't get me started on MJM, I'm lucky to still be alive. Of course, if he'd gotten me, maybe I'da had a shot at martyrdom....

OTOH, at the last Duquesne, I came down with a horrific bronchial infection, and Tucker came to the rescue with a ZPac!!! Who carries extra ZPacs around with him/her? That's why he's Tucker and I ain't.
  • Jani
    Noel was there...?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I don't know which ones you've been to. I know he was at either Chicago or the first Pittsburgh. And he's really the nicest guy!
  • Jani
    Only been to one- Salt Lake City, 2013
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I missed that one. I was doing special ops for the Society of St. Pius I.
  • WendiWendi
    Noel might be coming this year...I'm begging prettily at the moment.
  • TeresaH
    I join with Wendi in begging prettily, Noel!
  • When I went melo had threatened me with physical mayhem when I showed up, during an earlier discussion, and I believed him.

Of course, then he fell off the curb. No, I did't push him. The entire staff is wonderful and friendly.
  • WendiWendi
    I'll protect you from Melo...I promise. :)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    (snark) Well, at the time I thought Noel was Chuck Giffen! Chuck sends me messages telepathically through my molars! (snark)

In sincerity, I remember quite clearly the first moment I saw and met Noel. It was inside the church, his smile rivaled that of the Chesire Cat and prompted a sense of joy and friendship within me, a manly hug ensued with no injuries. (It is difficult to hug a sumo and get injured unless you try to completely encircle him!)

There is no amount of money, no point of philosophy, no opinion how contrary, which can prevail over the sense of comradery and fellowship that, in my experience, binds our souls to the affection most of us have for colloquium. And we can thank two people for that- first of all our Lord Jesus, and then Bill Mahrt.
  • CharlesW
    I didn't like Noel when I first met him. I thought he was a smarta*s. He is! But when I got to know him a bit better, I discovered that he is a really good guy.
  • WendiWendi
    and a smarta*s. :)
  • It's so nice to be surrounded with people that can't spell a*s.
  • CharlesW
    We can spell it just fine. However, Chonak may not like our spelling. ;-)
  • G
    You prefer "smart ar*e"?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks; it's a family-friendly website.
  • WendiWendi
    What chonak said...David Andrew is too young to use that kind of language in front of. Just sayin'.
  • Blaise
    A related question: how far in advance do you decide where you are going to meet the following year? I would like to start saving up for next year or the year after.

(Hint: if you go to Notre Dame next year, I could save some money on room and board as my sister and brother-in-law live in Granger, 15 minutes out of South Bend. I have heard some mixed rumors about Notre Dame-surely it can't be ultra terrible as far as sacred music is concerned, can it? :))