Ave Verum - SA or TB + O Bone Jesu + Ave Verum - Baritone/Mezzo
  • Unaccompanied.

Added audio mp3 - upper, lower, both.
    Note: TB version updated May 4th....key corrected.
  • francis
    nice noel.

is that an original melody?
  • Yes, came out of the brain just an hour ago. Let me know if you think it should go back in.

I've heard some comments about people interested in two parts and had a break....thank you and Giffen, too!
  • francis
    no, it is very nice!

how about SATB?

Saw yours and it reminded me to publish mine too.
  • Thanks, I'm swamped in A Catholic Organist's Book of Hymns chorale preludes that need written right now...I'm sort of challenged by the two part thought right now, will see what happens next!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I'm just glad you had time to write this piece, Noel. It really is nice.

Let's see ... we have Noel's 2-part setting, Francis's 4-part setting, and my 6-part setting. We about have all the bases covered!
  • ghmus7
    Thank you for this! I will definitely program this next year with our schola!
    To y'all, I'm always looking for TB stuff.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    I'm working on a 5-part SSATB ... How many bases are there anyway? Finally going to use the cool sounds of large major second dyads vs small major second dyads. Of course my pile of work-to-do is threatening to topple over and fill the few remaining free spots on my studio floor, so ...
  • BenBen
    This pieces might be the perfect opportunity to introduce my schola to harmony...
  • O Bone Jesu for Ben to use to introduce harmony.

MIDI file, TB and SA in that order....
  • SalieriSalieri
    How 'bout an SB setting?
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    Sure, Salieri, thanks for asking.

A different one, written for Baritones and Mezzo Sopranos. I find many choirs unable to sing softly, and like having a couple of pieces in their repertoire that I can use to impress upon them how necessary it is to be able to sing softly, quietly interrupting silence. There's also something lovely about mezzo's singing low pitches softly while baritones sing high d's (for them) softly as well. Thanks for the inspiration to do this, Salieri. Please give your choir my regards and appreciation for singing my music. It was written for them.

Score and mp3 audio file.
    Thanked by 2Salieri CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    I think I may have just found my Corpus Christi anthem this year.
  • Noel, maybe I'm just being thick-headed at the end of the weekend, but when I look at the two versions posted at the beginning of this discussion, it looks like the TB version was transposed down a major 7th, but the key signature did not change. Is my computer doing something strange, or my eyes?
    I'd love to blame it on anything but the truth...somehow I did this and failed to catch the problem. Thanks for catching this and I have updated it to the right version!
  • francis
    Wow Patricia... impressive call! Would you like to be my proofreader?
  • Francis, sure, if you'll pay me in Mass intentions (for a job, for my son who will start his undergraduate work at a public institution with an abysmal Newman Center this August--he's already planned out how to come home on weekends to assist at the EF, which will be a 4 1/2 hour round trip as home is almost exactly in the center of a line connecting university and parish!, and multitudinous other situations.)

Noel, I've been there, done that! It is a lovely piece and a refuge for those of us with smaller scholae who can do two-part well and SAB on occasion.
  • Noel, I finally got around to looking at the M/B setting--also a winner, thank you. I see that you think about baritones in the same way as I do, i.e., they really are a flexible middle male voice with notes on both ends of the spectrum. This one will be fun for the young guys in my schola (16, already a young bass with a huge range whose voice has been changing over this past year with the schola; 13, definitely in the cambiata range but a solid part-holding alto; and 13, in the cambiata stage but with more and more low notes appearing daily--he also plays piano, so he 'gets' the directive to 'pick whatever part has the notes that are working today'.)
    Easy going baritones who are willing to jump from part to part are true gift from Heaven, I agree!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • RachelR
    Thank you for posting this! Yesterday I was thinking about having our schola sing it SA as written, and then also have our men sing what the altos are singing, only an octave lower. (We struggle with polyphony, and perhaps this would 1) allow everyone to sing, 2) give it a more "full" sound, and 3) help the altos and basses/baritones sing better by keeping them together.) Is this a good idea?
    This is a great idea!

I have always noticed that when men and women sing together, the men are almost always "behind". By doing this and have them facing each other it could really help! I am not sure why this happens - it may be something as simple the higher notes being easier to start than lower notes of the men.

Organs can act that way too. Asking the men to lead the altos might help. If you give them the idea you have confidence in their ability to do this, it hight happen.

It's great to hear from someone who has not given up and just puts up with the singers they have singing the way they always have!

Gives me an idea for something to compose for your group!

Thanked by 1RachelR
    RachelK,

This might be helpful.

• RachelR
    Wow--I recorded the three parts on my keyboard just now and it sounds absolutely beautiful! Thank you for writing this. It will make our schola so happy to be able to sing a piece that sounds so elevated and mysterious! I can't wait to tell them about this on Sunday evening.
    Without getting all technical about it, I am hopeful that this will work to get your men listening more closely to the other parts and coordinating their attacks with them. But, like vegetables, we probably shouldn't tell them this might be good for them!