Votive Lauds in OF?
  • bgeorge77
    Hey folks, is there such a thing as votive Lauds? Asking because I'm helping to put together Lauds for a school and it would be cool if we could use the same music/antiphons/etc several times throughout the year.
  • igneusigneus
    Yes.
    See GILotH 245 and the articles following it.
    http://www.ewtn.com/library/curia/cdwgilh.htm#Ch IV-III

However, there might be "liturgically more sane" options. How often do you plan to sing the Lauds?
  • bgeorge77
    I think it's going to be about 4 times per year.
  • igneusigneus
    If all the occasions are weekdays of the Ordinary time, no votive office is necessary. You could choose and use for all the celebrations texts of any weekday of the Psalter cycle - at least so I interpret GILotH 251 and 247.
  • bgeorge77
    Would it be possible to use the antiphons and readings of the schools patron or Blessed Virgin Mary or Sacred Heart etc?
  • chonakchonak
    For most lay people, there is no obligation to say the office at all, so you can be free in choosing how much or when.
  • igneusigneus
    @chonak However, once this attitude ("be free in choosing how much or when", regardless of the rules) is employed, the resulting action shouldn't be called liturgy of the hours. Then it's a "public devotion inspired by the Lauds", not Lauds in a strict sense.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • I notice in the bookstore there are at least a dozen offices besides the run of the mill Christian Prayer volumes. Choosing one over the other, especially due to simplification and brevity, doesn't make either more liturgyofthehours-ish. The main thing I think is the repetition of the open and close, the canticle, and the psalms. In the briefer offices you stand more of a chance to have the whole thing repeating exactly. The goal is unending prayer, and for the ordained, following the order of the order, as it were.