need REAL TIME help to layout a program for advent vespers
  • Hi

I received much help on this topic on the other thread about Advent Vespers. I'm taking some advice that I received from one of the very first responses and am simply going to do first Vespers on December 20th. This will be right before the Vigil Mass for the 4th Sunday of Advent.

I want to do all the Psalms in English but set to some appropriate Gregorian Psalm tone if possible.
    Antiphons can be in Latin, right out of the LU or whatever. I will sing the NT reading using the Ed Schaefer method (whatever you want to call it). For the Hymn I'm doing the Hugh henry arrangement of O Come O Come Emmanuel.
    I don't know what prayers I would use and I don't have a setting for the Magnificat picked out (or know which is proper).

I'm looking for someone to help me put this all together in real time (not the forum). Some methods might be:

IRC channel
    MSN Messenger
    ICQ/AIM

Let me know if you have all the right books, resources and know how to help me put this together. I think we could get it figured out in under 30 minutes. I'm on the west coast, so i'm in Pacific Time Zone, USA. That's -8 GMT for people on other continents . . .

reply here or email to darth_linux AT msn DOT com.

thanks!
  • darth, just use the Magnificat from the LU and use English text pointed to the canticle tone. Remember that the Magnificat uses the initium (run up to the reciting tone) every time.
  • priorstf
    Darth - here's the Magnificat we use at first Friday Vespers.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Dear Darth,

I don't know if you would be interested in this or not, but here is Magnificat 8G

(You have to scroll down the page a bit, and pass up the daily Psalms)
  • Magnificat 8G, priorstf version - check. Thanks!
  • priorstf - it looked like you might be in NV - would be interested in helping me out over the phone or other real time method on this project?
  • priorstf
    More than happy to. I'm off to choir at the moment - should be back ~9:30 pacific time. Send me an email and we'll get started!
  • Note that the 2nd edition of the LotH (which is not translated to English) uses an updated Latin text for the Magnificat.

Given the retention of older Psalm 95 texts in the LH, I would be surprised, though, if the LotH doesn’t make provision to allow use of the former translation.

They really need to make the Latin edition not cost so darned much...