Latin And All That Goes With It
  • Bob_Nardo
    These two selection stood out to me as especially strong arguments (emphasis added):

Fr. Spataro: "a near-universal datum of religious phenomenology is that religion relies on the use of a sacred language distinct from everyday language"

From the weekly of the Franciscans of the Immaculate: “One of the most frequent objections made to the spread of the liturgy in Latin is the low level of knowledge of the Latin language among the faithful and the clergy. Yet this objection easily falls if one understands that in the liturgy there is a communication that transcends language and appeals to the participants’ sense of the sacred. Indeed the liturgy is the locus of communication with the supernatural, of our encounter, through the Immaculate, with Christ suffering. It is a meeting with guardian angels and saints. A meeting in heaven. Rather than being a Latinist, what counts to participate in the traditional liturgy is our soul’s disposition to become sanctified.”
  • hartleymartin
    The ordinary of the mass should be in Latin at major churches. As an international traveller in 2011, it was frustrating not being able to pray the parts of the mass proper to me, even though I knew where we were up to.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    "As an international traveller in 2011, it was frustrating not being able to pray the parts of the mass proper to me, even though I knew where we were up to.". As a new convert, I felt this way in AMERICA, trying to sing the various jingles, oops, responses by ear.
    Thanked by 3Spriggo CHGiffen tomjaw
  • G
    The ordinary of the mass should be in Latin at major churches.
    And teensy-weensy ones where the congregation may be comprised of US born anglophones, elderly Slovak immigrants, recent Guatamalan transplants, second generation Vietnamese, insu--

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • ryandryand
    The ordinary of the mass should be in Latin

fix'd
  • Any church that offers the Mass is a Major church. Great thought, HartleyMartin!
    Thanked by 3francis G tomjaw
  • Although I studied Greek in school, in my middle age I'm beginning to appreciate Latin. A priest once told me they were dead languages and banned the Kyrie. It was heart breaking, but the parish mentality is drive-thru service, shave every last second off so folks can get back to their sofas. Gregorian chant upsets some people fervently if it occurs during a mass, I discovered. I learned what it is like to be hated and loathed by the parish staff. Looking back it seems so childish. I don't get why haters have to hate at church, in the sacristy, etc.
    Thanked by 2ryand CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    That sort of reaction is why CMAA urges musicians and pastors to make improvements to the music in parishes *gradually*.

Latin is the heritage of Roman-rite Catholics, and it's sad that some parishioners are alienated from it, and some clergy were never trained in it. But that's the situation many musicians have to deal with. What's most important is that the music of the Mass be as beautiful as possible, and we can aim for that regardless of the language.
  • I was trying to reintroduce the sequence when we have them, Easter, Pentecost, etc. No one was ready to confront the sequence, so I conspired with the pastor to chant it. Even though there was that backlash, the Cantors saw to it that they learned the English. And that has been successful in having the sequence ever since. Some people, though. They fear the stigma of backwardness, as if having a smidge of Latin is going back to the bad ole days or something!
  • bonniebede
    Think generationally. teach it to kids as a 'secret code' and give it 20 or 40 years.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • CharlesW
    I am not so sure those who don't like Latin see it as "backwardness." It just isn't their spoken language and they don't understand it. The only "backwardness" I would think they object to, would be the parts of the EF mass that even a church council thought needed reforming. Certainly, they don't want those practices back, but that is not necessarily a language issue.
  • dad29
    Charles: I AM certain of that 'backwardness' mindset; more than a few parish members have used exactly that language in discussions on the topic. And I'm not a Latin Zealot by any means.
  • CharlesW
    I haven't encountered that to any extreme. The inability to understand the language I have encountered. I can't argue with the mindset that liturgy should be in the language of the people. It should be for maximum understanding. That doesn't mean to junk Latin, but use it to complement the vernacular, not replace it.

What I have run into, and tend to believe myself, is that some of the cultural affectations that went with the pre-Vatican II mass don't make sense today. For example, why should women cover their heads and resemble veiled Muslims? Are they terrorists? Well, yes some of those women I have met could qualify. LOL. Granted, we have one of St. Paul's rants on head coverings, but the application has been interesting. In some eastern places, the women don't cover their heads, but are on opposite sides of the church from men. In the west, women covered their heads, but sat with men. The whole thing in either case is a bit nutty in this century.

The Latin mass was/is excessively clericalized. To this someone always says, but the people could do this and this and this. Perhaps they could, but they didn't. The choirs, cantors and priests sang and the people listened. That's OK sometimes, but not all the time. My memories of those masses was a church full of people saying rosaries while the priests and functionaries performed the mass in front. Not a good thing. The people do need to participate, but I will agree those forms of participation in the OF mass have gotten a bit out of control.

How are Rogation Days in any way relevant in a non-agricultural society? Would anyone today even care what they once were? It wasn't the mass that was so bad it needed changing, but the cultural behaviors that went along with it. No, I don't want those back. I have found some of the Latin "haters" object more to the culture of the old mass than to Latin. I use Latin judiciously today and don't get those extreme reactions to the language. As melo-sage of the west says, ymmv, but what I have said is true in my place if not yours.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    My encounters have been that the clergy are still pushing participation as if it's not happening at all. Participation has improved substantially from what I understand of how Mass used to be before V2, but still clergy insist on doing everything possible to placate the PIPs, as if they're all going to walk out of the church en masse if they don't.

Case in point: my pastor has effectively banned Latin from the Mass at our parish. I used to be able to do Communion Meditation hymns in Latin, with choir only, but he has prohibited that practice now as well. He states that the people can't understand it, so it doesn't help with meditation at all. I wonder if someone's complaining...

Another DM colleague of mine has mentioned that there is a perceived socio-political agenda revolving around the use of Latin in the Mass: there are people out there who believe that if Latin is allowed in the Mass, we will have the Tridentine Mass back, and nobody will be able to understand anything, and everything will go back to the way it was, negating the hard-fought "victory" of V2.

I agree that people should understand what is going on in front of them during the Holy Sacrifice, but to insist that the Holy Sacrifice change its clothes because "the people" (who are "the people" anyway?) don't like how it looks (or sounds in this case) doesn't make sense to me. English-speaking nations are the few first-world nations where the majority of its people do not speak more than one language (and many in fact refuse to do so). Latin as used in the Church is not difficult at all, and can be taught to and understood by anyone. Is it possible that the exclusive use of the vernacular (no Latin at all) was conceived and practiced in order to facilitate participation where it was practically non-existent, with the notion that it would be added back in when participation was comfortable to the PIPs? I think that is logical.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    It's coming around.

I don't want to turn this thread into an NPM thread, but to reference a discussion we've had here before: in 2003, when I went to my first NPM convention, I remember heated rhetoric coming from speakers who literally said "And now, people are talking about putting Latin back into the mass? NEVER!!! NEVER should we allow Vatican II to be undone. NEVER should we let them try to take us backwards 40 years!"

Contrast that with the mass at the last convention in DC in 2013: Ubi Caritas, in latin, during the offertory; latin Agnus Dei. Chanted dialogues in English.

If NPM represents most American parishes, and I think they do, things have moved in the last 10 years.

I think those arguments are starting to die.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • ryandryand
    "And now, people are talking about putting Latin back into the mass? NEVER!!! NEVER should we allow Vatican II to be undone. NEVER should we let them try to take us backwards 40 years!"

"They WROTE the council in Latin"
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Even before joining CMAA in 07 I always had a special gratitude for the second Sunday of Easter as it provided obvious rationales to program chants (albeit metered and vernacular) at the three processionals. But that sort of reasoning was temporal and to some extent, counterproductive. I'd always programmed chant (in Latin/English/Greek) as well as Latin motets virtually all of my career as standard operating procedure. I simply made sense to do so as the choral treasury begins there!
    After CMAA, and a fuller understanding of "why" to program more than two of 18 chant Masses, processional propers, etc. led me to wonder "how" to integrate the venerable musics as integral elements on a systematic and ongoing basis? This is particuarly challenging if one is not sure where the pastor and all vicars "fall" on the appreciation scale of such efforts. Therefore, one has to be prepared to criticially weave the finer threads into the OF environment in order for folks to regard it as "natural."
    Back to yesterday- After chanting the SEP Introit, the entrance was literally "O filii..." with the congregation joining in the antiphon triple alleluia only. The choir sang the verses from the PBC in Latin. After an asperges, the ICEL Glory with ison was chanted, as was the "O filii" as the Gospel acclamation.
    At the Offertory, the same chant was taken up again, but with the English verses (all nine) which, of course, bolsters the Thomas/faith without seeing blessing.
    We sang RR's Simple CG yesterday as we didn't rehearse during the week, and that occurs as long as it takes to communicate the EMHC's and then provide them with the sacraments to move to the nave for distribution. Even though we now much prefer the more polyphonic character of RR's still new Choral Communio collection, the "orthodox" like homophony of the SCG uses the "freely chanted" verses in SATB, which again keeps the cultural ethos going.
    In previous years, I would have alternated the Latin of Adoro te with the English, but I decided it would be more edifying to just use the Hopkins for the richness of prose alone. That way, I thought, there would at least be no implicit reason for folks processing to communicate to "tune out" because of the alternating languages serving as a possible distraction to the continuity of the text. We concluded singing for the day with the Dufay ARC in Latin, with those wonderful double "sharped" cadences emulative of the Landini.
    Generally a handful of folks always come by the choir after Mass with some sort of positive remark, but quite a few more seemed almost effusive with their appreciation.
    My point, and I do have one, is that the prescriptive use of Latin certainly does not have to always involve an "either/or" mindset in order to re-orient coherency to our OF Mass culture.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    My point, and I do have one, is that the prescriptive use of Latin certainly does not have to always involve an "either/or" mindset in order to re-orient coherency to our OF Mass culture.

You got it!
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • soarmarcsoarmarc
    My pastor has effectively banned Latin from the Mass at our parish.

My pastor has done pretty much the same, with one exception; We are allowed to sing Latin during Communion. He claims that the congregation must be able to participate in singing Entrance, Offertory, and recessional hymns, thus only English is appropriate.

So I have used the opportunity afforded to me to sing Latin hymns during Communion. We sang Adoramus Te, Christe (Dubois) and O Bone Jesu (Ingegneri) during Lent. And now in the Easter season, we have sung the Regina Caeli. I'm planning to sing Veni Creator Spiritus for Pentecost.

At some point, I might even sing the Salve Regina as a recessional just to see what happens.

But in my present situation, I'll be fighting the battle for sung English propers (where it is easier to compromise) before I try to overcome my pastor's deep-seated opposition to Latin.
  • francis
    pastor's deep-seated opposition to Latin
    And this is very telling
  • BenBen
    My pastor has done pretty much the same, with one exception; We are allowed to sing Latin during Communion. He claims that the congregation must be able to participate in singing Entrance, Offertory, and recessional hymns, thus only English is appropriate.

Whenever I hear things like this, I always want to ask where they find these rules and how they agree with the council's talk of Latin in the liturgy, and even the GIRM where one of the 4 options is the chant from the roman gradual (Latin) and another is from the simplex (Latin).

It just seems so arbatrary.
  • CharlesW:

Pius X, of blessed memory, called for actuosa participatio, by which he clearly meant not that the "people" had to "do" everything or "understand" everything, but that they needed to join their hearts and minds as completely as they could to the action of the Mass.

Pius XII, of happy if languishing memory, insisted that to require identical levels of participation from everyone was wrong-headed, and furthermore that praying the rosary was acceptable and praiseworthy form of participation at Mass.

Where did the silly idea come from, that you and I - mere mortals - could actually understand the Mass completely? Where did the even sillier idea come from, that if we didn't speak Latin fluently we were being prevented from participating in the Mass?

Cheers,

Chris
  • CharlesW
    Chris, Pius X and XII are dead - although I think Pius XII deserves canonization. In any event, the whole world has changed since their time. We have bigger issues than trying to fight old battles and have good old-fashioned EF anathema tosses and document hurls. I suspect both popes would be pulling their hair out if they lived today.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    What I have run into, and tend to believe myself, is that some of the cultural affectations that went with the pre-Vatican II mass don't make sense today

For what it's worth:

1. I think your judgement of veiling is a bit unfair. I have known plenty of veiled women who understand their decision as a sign of humility and un-veiled women prone to jiahdistic rants. (Granted, having dated a pro-choice woman who hand-crafted her own veils for mass, I agree that they can be totally across the spectrum on this one.)

2. As Clerget and (I'm sure) others have noted, 'meaningful participation' is an uphill battle in both Latin and English mass parishes, and has been so in my experience.

3. Rogation Days could be seen as encouraging a plentiful return to all of our endeavors, agricultural or otherwise.

The new mass is not entirely neutral from cultural affectations. For every argument that the old mass was based on outdated argicultural ideals, it could be argued that the new mass found its basis in the ideals of the industrial revolution - democratic representation, assembly line production, utilitarian design, etc. - ideals which aren't always a plus for the spiritual life.
    Thanked by 2francis Jenny
  • Charles,

Pius XII may be canonized eventually. Thomas More and Joan of Arc had to wait their turn, so perhaps this holy Pope's time isn't just now?

Of course I know they're both dead, but I fail to see how that renders their opinions worthless. More importantly, I fail to see how the fact that each one is dead renders his teaching obsolete.

What "old" battles did you have in mind?

As to document hurls, I encourage you to try to have this experience: loudly proclaim at an NPM conference or at the USCCB website that Environment and Art in Catholic Worship does not now have, nor never had binding authority on anyone.

I don't share your opinion that both popes would be tearing out their hair. I think we might see public processions in reparation for the evils of our time, though.

Cheers,

Chris
    Thanked by 1francis
  • I don't think it's necessarily all about Latin.
    In a culture of "understand it, buy it, own it NOW", maybe it's more about not getting what we want immediately.

That is our cultural reality. Not that I'm saying we go along with our times, though of course we have to deal with living in our times and prioritizing what we resist.

Who was it that quipped- "whoever is married of the spirit of the age is divorced in the next."? I love that line- so true.
  • Personally, I'm not 100% convinced on veiling.
    But I support many of my friends who make this devotional choice.

Charles, you mention the mantillas so often. What's your beef? Are surrounded by a cadre of lace-laden grim reapers in your nightmares or something? Of all the minor things with which to take issue. Real problems exist within circles of traditionally-minded Catholics, as they are populated with real fallen human beings like you and me.

Three feet of lace ain't a big deal.
    Thanked by 2francis kenstb
  • CharlesW
    Oh, I know that. I suspect - rather I know - some nearby wear them out of pride. It's a, "look at me, aren't I holy?" There is a large degree of inbreeding within local traditional circles and it hasn't been a good thing for them, or those who have contact with them. I personally don't care about mantillas and I certainly hope Chris never wears one. I have seen his picture and it would look horrid on him - LOL.

I don't look to the EF mass or the traditional movement to solve the problems of Catholicism. After all, it was the Vatican Council's intent to make the Church connect to a greater degree with the modern world. Instead there has been much fumbling and misdirection as a result of changes that were intended to do the opposite. The Church needs to come to some sort of terms with the modern world, and speak to the world in ways that make a difference. It's not there, yet. I get the feeling we in the Church are fiddling with peripherals while the structure burns. Just my two cents and ymmv.
  • francis
    CharlesW 3:05PM Thanks
    Chris, Pius X and XII are dead - although I think Pius XII deserves canonization. In any event, the whole world has changed since their time. We have bigger issues than trying to fight old battles and have good old-fashioned EF anathema tosses and document hurls. I suspect both popes would be pulling their hair out if they lived today.

The whole world has changed. Truth does not change, dogma does not change and the Church is forever. There are no 'old battles'. Anathema is a scary reality and it also still exists. Excommunication would be the action of popes who see what is going on today; they are the popes who have ba*** and would have used them for the RIGHT reason.

After all, it was the Vatican Council's intent to make the Church connect to a greater degree with the modern world. Instead there has been much fumbling and misdirection as a result of changes that were intended to do the opposite. The Church needs to come to some sort of terms with the modern world, and speak to the world in ways that make a difference. It's not there, yet. I get the feeling we in the Church are fiddling with peripherals while the structure burns. Just my two cents and ymmv.

No, it was not VII's intent to make the Church connect with the modern world. It was the intention of a misled few that had significant positions on the council. And yes, as a result, there has been much fumbling and misdirection as a result of changes that were intended to do the opposite.

I totally disagree. The Church does NOT need to come to some sort of terms with the modern world. It spoke to the world in a way that made all the difference throughout all of history. Now it says nothing because it stands for everything.

Once the Church gets its head screwed back on the right way, look out world.
  • Maybe we fiddle with the peripherals because that's all we can do in our little way, and we know it, and it's aggravating to some extent.

Perhaps that's where trust and love and assuming the good will of fellow Catholics comes into play the most. When we get too inbred- in any direction- we tend to destroy each other rather than build the kingdom.

About speaking to the modern world, I agree that we need to continuously reevaluate and improve. Two points-
    1) The world doesn't always listen no matter how hard we try, no matter how much we give. Good Friday always reminds me of that. But that can't stop our efforts- if we love, we will try.
    2) Great art draws people into a message, causes them to pause and reflect. It transcends our common experience. We in the business of sacred music have a really important role to play in engaging the modern world, because the medium in which we work has demonstrated in every age an ability to draw souls in the direction of God, and fervent souls ever closer to Him.
  • CharlesW
    I agree, MACW, completely.

• kenstb
    Interesting thread. I grew up in a parish where all of the adult women wore mantillas to mass. I never got the impression that they were trying to be seen as "holy". Many of these people lived lives that inspired me to embrace the faith more deeply. In my opinion, Latin is part of our inheritance as Catholics. We should not abandon it, and part of the problem with those who hate Latin is that they haven't been taught the beauty of it. In my parish, many folks were afraid to try Latin because they believed that they could not pronounce it. One year with me changed their opinions. I have had the practice for many years of inviting people like this to sit in on my rehearsals, and I am happy to say that they always come away with less prejudice and a greater enjoyment of music. I like the mass in the vernacular, but often in the western world, we throw out the baby with the bathwater. We would be farther along in liturgical music if we spent more time seeking Christ than seeking the modern world. For those who are having trouble with pastors who are opposed to the use of Latin, patience and persistence are the tools we must use. Ignorance does not respond to argument. In order to convert people, they must first be willing to listen.
  • CharlesW
    I see this in terms of reverent and sacred liturgy first, beautiful and sacred music second, and language third or somewhere lower on the list.
  • soarmarcsoarmarc
    Whenever I hear things like this, I always want to ask where they find these rules and how they agree with the council's talk of Latin in the liturgy.

In the case of my pastor, it's become evident that he either is unaware of what is actually contained in Sacrosanctum Concilium and the GIRM, or he willingly chooses to ignore it.

He instructed us to not sing in Latin, stating that this would fulfill the Council's declaration that "full and active participation is to be considered above all else." I wrote him an amicable response in which I expounded upon the fact that SC and the GIRM in fact encourage Latin, that it is perfectly acceptable for the Entrance, Offertory, and Communion chants to be sung by the choir alone, and that participation does not equate to singing.

My pastor's response was essentially, Thank you... But no Latin.
  • francis
    kenstb

That is a very beautiful story. Thank you. Sometimes it is just those kind of words that break through all the hopelessness of our time and shed a ray of light to walk toward.
    Thanked by 1kenstb
  • CharlesW
    We all do what our jobs require and what our pastors tell us to do. Otherwise we would be unemployed. Some of the greatest forum ranters on how things should be done in the perfect parishes where we work, can't do much or any of what they try to dictate for the rest of us. They aren't allowed to. It's a lot easier to talk than to do.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • hartleymartin
    I'm sick to death of this silly notion that full and active participation means that the congregation should always be doing something, which generally equates to them being forced to sing everything.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    At least in my case, it comes from the clergy.
  • dad29
    The inability to understand the language I have encountered. I can't argue with the mindset that liturgy should be in the language of the people. It should be for maximum understanding.

That "inability to understand" cannot possibly apply to the Ordinary parts, translations of which we've been sing/saying for nigh unto 50 years, Right?

As to "maximum understanding"--that's pragmatism. Do people "maximally understand" the circle of 5ths while reveling in the beauty of Bach? Or "maximally understand" the relationship of text to music in the Brahms Requiem? Or Britten's?

Readings, orations, yes. Sermons, (such as they are), yes.

But as That Guy once said: God's ways are not yours [to understand].
  • CharlesW
    As I said above, it is easier to talk than do. How many of the "ideals" can you implement in your parish - assuming you are working with OF masses. If you are in the EF, you don't have to deal with what the OF musicians encounter.

Don't listen to Bach. It's bad stuff - LOL.

And don't confuse your opinions with "God's ways," since He is unlikely to consult either of us on them.
  • dad29
    What I have run into, and tend to believe myself, is that some of the cultural affectations that went with the pre-Vatican II mass don't make sense today....Granted, we have one of St. Paul's rants on head coverings, but the application has been interesting. In some eastern places, the women don't cover their heads, but are on opposite sides of the church from men. In the west, women covered their heads, but sat with men. The whole thing in either case is a bit nutty in this century.

Ah, we have PROGRESS!!

You have demonstrated (thanks!) that the differentiation between women and men is ancient and cross-cultural, and have also stated (in effect) that such distinctions are not needed "today." Frankly, that is Sesame Street-think. And do you really think that Paul was a "ranter" or do you use that pejorative to establish your credibility?
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • CharlesW
    I think you would argue with a fencepost, and have positions that are not mine. That's all, and there is no more to it than that. There is also nothing personal in our disagreement on some issues.

Most of the items I support are based on what the Church - your Church, too - decided to do in a Vatican Council called by the successor of St. Peter to make needed changes to the liturgy, among other things. That council had the right and authority to do exactly what it did. I will agree that some later took the council's intentions and carried them to outlandish extremes, but humans do tend to do such things. Perhaps time and a a more balanced approach can correct some of those extremes. However, I can't help but get the feeling some here want to retreat to an Amish-like community, shut out the world, and pretend a sacred council of the Church never happened and ignore it. Hope I am wrong about that.

St. Paul was a bit of an extremist. Even St. James had to correct some of his assertions on Faith. Martin Luther sure liked what Paul had to say. ;-)
    You have demonstrated (thanks!) that the differentiation between women and men is ancient and cross-cultural, and have also stated (in effect) that such distinctions are not needed "today." Frankly, that is Sesame Street-think. And do you really think that Paul was a "ranter" or do you use that pejorative to establish your credibility?

The notion that women should have to cover their heads in church today is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with denying differences between men and women.

It was something that got started at a certain point in history for reasons that made sense at that time in history. Today, when we think of modesty, we don't think of women covering their heads (as they did then); we think of women not wearing skirts with slits up to their hips and not wearing low cut shirts.

It's a different world. By your logic (it seems) the Pope should not use a computer or a cell phone nor use twitter - after all, earlier and venerable predecessors did not use such things.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
    That "inability to understand" cannot possibly apply to the Ordinary parts, translations of which we've been sing/saying for nigh unto 50 years, Right?

Yes. But that's also why I think that the CONGREGATION should be somewhat limited in what they sing in latin - and I generally limit it to the Ordinary and perhaps a Marian Antiphon. If the choir or schola sing in latin, the people should have a translation in front of them. And certain things, such as the Canon, should probably be in English, because people DO need to understand or have access to the meaning of what they are saying/singing/hearing at mass in order to participate.

Don't listen to Bach. It's bad stuff - LOL.

Oh come now. Which composer would you prefer, Bach or Messiaen? I'll take Bach ANY DAY!
  • Jeffrey Quick
    "How are Rogation Days in any way relevant in a non-agricultural society? " Because if we don't have crops, we don't eat. And if God willed it, they could all fail. The fact that most of us aren't involved in producing that harvest means that it's even more important to connect with it spiritually.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Amen, Jeffrey, particularly out here in California's San Joaquin valley. As composer/compiler of our Universal Prayers, I'm utterly convinced that we cannot pray enough, whether via devotions or liturgy, for divine intervention in our crisis, so that people, lands and whole nations that rely upon our harvests can be sustained.
  • CharlesW
    Oh come now. Which composer would you prefer, Bach or Messiaen? I'll take Bach ANY DAY!

Since you put it that way - LOL. I do play some Bach but the highly formulaic music of that time period has never been among my favorites. Still, some of his pieces are lovely.
  • CharlesW
    "How are Rogation Days in any way relevant in a non-agricultural society? " Because if we don't have crops, we don't eat.

So get a priest and go bless Con-Agra, Monsanto and the other corporate behemoths that actually produce most crops. We are not an agricultural society as in the past, so that lifestyle isn't meaningful to most folks today.

The beginnings of the major rogation can be traced to the Roman holiday of Robigalia, at which a dog was sacrificed to propitiate Robigus, the god of agricultural disease.[4][2] The practitioners asked the god for protection of their crops from wheat rust.[2]

Some really holy origins there!
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Where's your cite, Charles? Remember that I'm the guy who used to think that most Christian festivals were rip-offs of pagan ones. Not that I'm inclined to play that now, or here, but I could.
    I have a healthy skepticism about industrial agriculture, but the actions of Monsaton et al don't invalidate my point that our physical sustenance deserves some spiritual attention. If most employees are pawns of multinational corporations, should we take the Feast of St. Joseph the Worker off the calendar? Or is that more reason to celebrate it?
    Thanked by 2G barreltone
    How timely. That feast occurs next week.