About the New-ish Translation
  • Kathy
    I thought I'd post a link to my Chant Cafe post on the theology of the collects in the 2011 translation.

I realize we're on Easter no. 3 with the "new" translation, but because the questions keep being interminably raised in some quarters, I thought I'd provide an admittedly partial answer.

Nevertheless, I sincerely believe that as far as this article goes, it addresses part of the real and primary disconnect.
  • BenBen
    This was great!
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Many thanks for your thoughts on this, Kathy. Your insight is cogent. We shouldn't call this the 'new' translation, but simply 'the' translation because it is the only actual translation that we have had since the council. While it is admittedly clunky at times, and, one must admit, hasn't the grace that Cranmer crafted, we are grateful to have language that has an unmistakable sacral substance, says what the Latin says, and says it with inconstestable accuracy through a theologically informed prism. It is beautiful. It still isn't Cranmer, but it's beautiful. (And, by referencing Cranmer I do not necessarily mean that we should employ historic pronouns and verb forms; I refer only to grace and cadence.)