Wanting CD recommendations
  • VickiW
    Over the next year, I would like to add to my CD library of choral works. I am particularly interested in contemporary or near contemporary works using Catholic liturgical texts. What would you recommend?
  • chonakchonak
    For starters, the Estonian composer Arvo Pärt, an Orthodox, has composed some beautiful minimalist works on Catholic texts.

The first movement of his Magnificat is on-line here. (recording by the Chamber Chorus of the Free University, Amsterdam)
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    There's also John Tavener, also Orthodox, who has composed a great deal of choral music in an orthodox style.

You might recall his "Funeral Ikos" which was sung at the funeral service for Princess Diana of Wales as her casket was being carried out of the Abbey.
  • incantuincantu
    I have to chime in again to sing the praises of Mark Winges. I sang on a CD of his sacred choral works. I guess it's not available for purchase (it should be!), but some of the individual tracks can be heard on this website.
  • Paul Salamunovich's (when with LA Master Chorale) definitive recording of a great many of the Morton Lauridsen catalogue. Also any recordings of any choir under Paul Salamunovich, whether Lauridsen featured or not.
    Any recording of Chanticleer that, outside of spirituals, contains liturgical and sacred RC texts in any language by artists such as William Hawley and many Renaissance masters.
    Any recording by Dale Warland Singers with the same criteria, particularly Christmas albums. A Rose in Winter featuring John Paytner's "There is no rose..." is stunningly beautiful. Also, when featuring the works of Stephen Paulus.
    Recordings by J. Michael Thompson and the Schola of St. Peters in the Loop/Apostle. Many RC and Byzantine composers interpreted by a master conductor and fine ensemble.
    Select recordings by St. Olaf's choirs, both under Andre Armstrong and his predecessors, that have liturgical/sacred texts by a world of composers, including John Ferguson, Paulus, Libby Larsen, Rene Clausen et al from MN.
    Off the top of me head.
  • VickiW
    I truly appreciate your suggestions and am making a list; any more ideas?
  • chonakchonak
    Perhaps it would be helpful to listen to some of the good internet sacred music streams, such as choraltreasure.org or "Radio Walsingham".
  • OlbashOlbash
    I listened to this Distler/David/Baumann CD on the drive to last summer's CMAA colloquium and almost swirved off the road it was so good: http://arsisaudio.com/cd115N.html

One of my all-time favorites in this category is "Hear My Prayer" from Hyperion Records: http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA66439 There is a mix of old and new, but everything on the disc is just stunning. "Come, Holy Ghost" (Harvey) is probably my favorite track. It starts out as a harmless adaptation of Veni Creator, and each verse gets groovier and groovier, with far-out pitch bending and tone clusters... woo-hoo! And, of course, the Britten Festival Te Deum is a great romp, and good practice for conducting, too!

I've also been on a Schnittke kick lately, though I can't recommend any particular recordings to you at the moment. Boston Secession (http://bostonsecession.org) is performing his Requiem next month, and I think my wife will give me a hall pass long enough to go hear it. (Wee!)

Too bad you weren't looking for a chant CD... 1,000 copies of the Stepping Stone Chant Project CD "Blessed Is the Ordinary" arrived on my doorstep this morning...!
  • chonakchonak
    Well, if the 1944 Britten Festival Te Deum is recent enough; maybe the massive 1936 Kodaly "Budavari" Te Deum (Oakland Symphony Chorus and Orchestra) is not too far out of range?
  • rich_enough
    Francis Poulenc wrote a stunning Mass in G major, as well as motets for Christmas and Lent and in honor of the Blessed Virgin. I like the recording with Robert Shaw.

Sam Schmitt
  • emafi
    If you're not set on actual discs, you might try emusic.com, which has an extensive set of high quality mp3s of non-popular music, including extensive chant, classic, and polyphony catalogs. The first 50 downloads are free, so try it.