Et Expecto Resurrectionem: Organ Music Contemplating and Celebrating the Afterlife
  • G
    At St John Cantius, 825 N. Carpenter St., in Chicago

Organ Recital by Br. Jonathan Ryan, SJC
    http://www.cantius.org/go/events/detail/organ_recital_by_br_jonathan_ryan_sjc/
    Details:
    Nov. 23, 2:00 pm

On November 22nd each year we celebrate the Feast of St. Cecilia, the patron saint of church music.

Join us on Sunday, November 23rd at 2:00 p.m. to hear a stunning organ recital by Br. Jonathan Ryan, SJC.

2:00 pm Organ Recital by Br. Jonathan Ryan, SJC:

Et Expecto Resurrectionem:
    Organ Music Contemplating and Celebrating the Afterlife

The Joy and Light of the Bodies in Glory (The Glorified Bodies: Seven Brief Visions of the Life of the Resurrected)
    Olivier Messiaen (1908 – 1992)

Song of Peace (Nine Pieces for Organ)
    Jean Langlais (1907 – 1991)

My Jesus Calls to Me, Op. 122, No. 1
    O World, I Must Now Leave Thee, Op. 122, No. 11
    Johannes Brahms (1833 – 1897)

There is a Happy Land
    Jerusalem, My Happy Home
    George Shearing (b. 1919)

Chorale-Variations on All Men Must Die
    Johann Pachelbel (1653 – 1706)

Iste Confessor, Op. 47, No. 2
    Otto Olsson (1879 – 1964)

Placare Christi servulis, Op. 38, No. 16
    Marcel Dupré (1886 – 1971)

Solemn Gregorian Vespers for the Solemnity of Christ the King and Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament will immediately follow the recital. A free-will offering will benefit the parish sacred music program.

Some of you probably remember Br Jonathan from this year's colloquium.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • GavinGavin
    Also a good piece along those lines is "Mors et Resurrectio" from Langlais's three Gregorian pieces (the suite with the Te Deum everyone plays).

I notice EVERY composer except Brahms was alive for the 20th Century. Nothing wrong with all-20th-century concerts in my book, in fact it seems the composers who best emphasize the hope of heaven are modern. What does everyone else think? I suppose I could list any setting of "Christ lag" or "Christ ist erstanden" as fitting, but outside of there, I can't think of any pre-late 19th century pieces that would be appropriate. Any thoughts on that?