Who is your boss II
  • Kathy
    Following up on Cantor's thread, I thought it would be interesting to ask how closely music directors and their bosses are aligned, liturgically, musically, pastorally, theologically. I feel lucky that I find myself in sync with my pastor 90% of the time. We can talk, but it's enormously helpful to be in basic agreement.

Is your boss a help or hindrance to realizing the world's greatest music program?
  • It seems like a thread like this would only elicit responses from those who are in fact in sync. In fact, given that this is a pubic forum, I would strongly recommend against complaining about your boss here.
  • G
    Why do you think I only use an initial?
    Other than the fact that we both dislike "And They'll Know We Are Christians By Our Love, By Our Love" intensely, we have virtually nothing in common in our liturgical sensibilities.
    But we do get along very well...and besides, I believe in redemption ;oP
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • francis
    fantastically in practically every way
  • Kathy
    I've done ministry in parishes where the pastor talks about his priorities and it seems like he's from Mars. That can have as much to do with me as him, and needn't be about right and wrong but just differences in perspectives. In those situations I've found that every day felt like swimming upstream and it was difficult to accomplish anything. I wish at the time that I'd known this distinction.
  • GavinGavin
    Few pastors are identical in approach to the musicians, and I would say that's a good thing. I tend to neglect the pastoral/pragmatic side, so I NEED a boss to say "hold up, Gavin, we can't use the full Lux et Origo in Easter if the congregation only knows the Jubilate Deo Mass". At the same time, priests need me to tell them "people can handle responding to the doxology of the canon with a single-tone Amen, just do it." The best arrangement, I'd say, is a cautious pastor with the mind of the Church and an eager musician.

God save us from priests who think as I do!!! I often think what a disaster I'd be as a pastor, it's quite scary!
  • Cantor
    Gavin’s last comment reminds me of a thought I often have: “maybe that’s why I do what I do, and he does what he does.”

For myself, the pastor is half of my reservations. He’s a good guy at heart, I think, but I think he is reticent against being instructed/advised by someone substantially younger than he is. (I am still young enough that very few priests my age would be pastors.) He will at least sing, but you almost wish he wouldn’t, the intervals are so badly sung. (imagine do-ti-la-do turning into do-te-le-do...and that’s on good days...)