Gloria at weddings? During Lent?
  • Claire H

A friend is having a wedding on a Lenten weekday (I realize that's a rare occurrence) and I want to double-check on Penitential Act/Gloria. Should either be done? At weddings not during Lent, the Gloria is done with the New Missal, right?
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    I believe the Gloria is sung.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    I was in a similar situation last year and asked the Director of the Office of Divine Worship. Here was his response (the first part deals with a question I asked about the decorations):

Your question is a good one, and one that I’ve been thinking about since last year, when the Gloria became a part of every Nuptial Mass. There seems to be a bit of confusion between what the GIRM says about flowers during Lent, and what the Roman Missal requires during the celebration of Nuptial Mass. The Ceremonial of Bishops and the GIRM all say the same thing: There should be a marked moderation in festivity and the parish environment should not be altered from that of Lent. I would take this one step further and suggest that the moderation in festivity and environment also applies to the use of the organ, though I would not say that there is a ban on solo organ music. The music of the organ, even solo music, should reflect the “moderation in festivity” that the documents call for.

The Gloria is a liturgical text, and its use is not suspended during the season of Lent at Nuptial Masses. Notice the documents don’t call for “no festivity” – just a moderation in festivity. The Gloria chosen would probably not be the Easter or Christmas Gloria, but rather one that would be “less festive”, an ordinary time Gloria.

So, in my Archdiocese, that is how we handle it and it seems a logical conclusion. The Mass is celebrated exactly as it appears in the Missal, Gloria and all.
  • The Gloria is definitely sung. With the exception of the Mass for the installation of readers and acolytes, there is a mandated Gloria at every Ritual Mass.

Our diocese has been celebrating confirmation Masses during Lent this year, and we use a Gloria every time (as long as the Mass is not on a Lenten Sunday, when a Ritual Mass is not allowed).
  • hartleymartin
    In my opinion, one should not be getting married during Lent unless it is on one of the solemnities.

Here in Australia we've got St Patrick, St Joseph and the Annunciation to pick from.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The Church allows for weddings during Lent.

No alleluia, no instrumental music (unless on a Solemnity or Laetare Sunday), and no flowers (unless Solemnity/Laetare).

My wife and I were originally supposed to get married on Laetare Sunday of 2010. Due to some unforeseen messiness involving the government and immigration stuff we got pushed back to 31st Sunday in Ordinary Time. I still, to this day, wonder how amazing our wedding pictures would look with rose vestments... Though getting matching rose chasubles might have been even more difficult than finding matching gold chasubles (which with some difficulty I managed).
  • Claire H
    One more question: Is the Kyrie included? It's been a little while since I've done a wedding, so I can't remember. =)
  • CharlesW
    I still, to this day, wonder how amazing our wedding pictures would look with rose vestments... Though getting matching rose chasubles might have been even more difficult than finding matching gold chasubles (which with some difficulty I managed).

Are the Anglicans the only ones who actually have rose vestments? Local Catholic rose vestments always look pink.
  • BenBen
    Claire,

Yes, the Kyrie is included.

(Running away....)
  • CharlesW
    tehehe :-)
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Pink and rose are the same color. You "rose, not pink" people need to get over yourselves.
    Thanked by 2MarkThompson Jahaza
  • CharlesW
    Rose has more of a darker red and less of pre-teen pink. :P
  • chonakchonak
    There is some difference, at least according to the Repository of Approximate Knowledge, Wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_(color)

According to these, pink is a pale red (hue angle = 350 degrees, whereas red is 360)

whereas rose is a color between red and magenta (hue angle = 330 degrees):
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen BruceL Ben
  • Liam
    Oh, just go ahead and sing the Dies Irae at weddings in Lent.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Claire, the correct answer to that question is...

...Maybe.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • CharlesW
    We have chasubles that I would call rose, but the tabernacle cover is Victoria's Secret pink. The difference really hits you during mass when the two are side by side.

• Claire, the correct answer to that question is...

...Maybe.

Is the bridal procession considered a Solemn Procession (TM)? Somebody ask the USCCB!

/purple bold

/sort of
  • G
    "You say that like it's a bad thing...."
    Pink and rose are the same color. You "rose, not pink" people need to get over yourselves.
    Adam, Adam, Adam.... are you gonna be one of those husbands who doesn't understand why one might need light brown, beige, taupe, tan AND khaki shoes?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • melofluentmelofluent

No, he's serious as KLS is, like me, "A Serious Man."

http://m.youtube.com/?reload=2&rdm=1229dj4dy#/watch?v=i4SJ-qp4204
  • Liam
    Alternatively, the mother of the bride could sing the Stabat Mater.
    Thanked by 2Ben BruceL
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    That reminds me of an old joke:

Wife: I can't wait to see "Four Weddings and a Funeral."
    Husband: Isn't that just five of the same thing?
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • Liam
    And the Stabat Pater is after he opens the bills.
    Thanked by 2Ben Claire H
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Wedding postlude recommendation:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yolLGFcpDxo
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood BruceL
  • Wedding postlude recommendation:
    Those horizontal ranks of party horns should only be used for weddings during the Easter season, of course! ; )
  • CharlesW
    One year All Souls fell on a Sunday and I played that piece during offertory. The pastor donned black vestments for the occasion.

Those Ruffatti party horns are nice!
  • Yes, Charles, Ruffatti party horns are quite thrilling!

Our cathedral here in Pittsburgh has a magnificent 97-rank von Beckerath organ. There are two en-chamade reeds: an 8' trompette and a 4' clarion (playable only on the swell manual. Go figure!). However, these two reeds would probably be considered Spanish trumpets. They function more as loud chorus reeds rather than commanding solo stops that soar over full organ.
  • Claire H

I find the direction of this thread [that I started] quite amusing. :D
  • CharlesW
    The Pittsburgh Episcopal cathedral organ sounded really good to me, as well. Next time I visit my Byzantine cathedral I need to schedule some extra time to hear organs in the city. You know Pittsburgh is the holy city for us. ;-)
  • JahazaJahaza
    Alternatively, the mother of the bride could sing the Stabat Mater.

Theoretically possible, in the EF! If a bride and groom married on Sept 15 in a Church dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows, the Mass for the day, The Feast of the Seven Dolours of the B.V.M. would be first class and outrank the wedding votive. You'd have to do the propers for Our Lady of Sorrows, sing the sequence and double the orations under one conclusion!
  • Some discussion of this question is available in this blog post and in its comments.
    Thanked by 1Claire H