Portuguese Music for Easter Vigil and Easter Day
  • ckcrow
    The question regards the Lusophonic (?) Ministry rather than Hispanic.

Can anyone recommend good traditional music from Portugal or Brazil for Easter Vigil and Easter morning? This would be for incorporation into a Portuguese-Spanish-English-Latin liturgy in Newark, so just a few titles (and where to find them) would be adequate and appreciated.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    ckc, welcome.
    I found a really good website years ago, as we often host Portugese Festa Masses, complete with notated music/chord assignments I would then arrange. Had it bookmarked until my computer had to be scrubbed due to nefarious hacking. I'll look again. Most of my arrangements are for Fatima and Holy Ghost.
  • ckcrow
    Melofluent,

That sounds like it would work fine - let me know if you find it, otherwise it'll be more English than I'd like.

Can I ask where you're located?

Best,
    -Kevin in Newark
  • kenstb
    ckcrow,

If melofluent can't find the scores he's looking for, you might wish to contact Father Jose Carlos Da Silva at St. Rita of Cascia parish in Long Island City, New York.
    He's not too far from you and he's the head of the Brazilian Apostolate in the Diocese of Brooklyn. He works with several musicians in that community and can definitely put you in touch with them.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    California.
  • I have found several excellent portuguese hymns that are translations from 16th century latin hymns or german hymns. However, not all of them are "orthodox" catholic texts. Indeed what I have found is a portuguese LUTHERAN hymnal.
    Do your best to look through it, there are a few very interesting things there, traditional catholic texts mixed with protestant influenced ones. Conservative Lutherans definitely have an admirable tradition of hymnody.

http://www.luteranos.com.br/conteudo_organizacao/celebracao-musica/autores-e-tradutores-das-letras-dos-hinos-do-hpd-1
    http://www.luteranos.com.br/conteudo/com-alegria-e-com-fervor
    Com alegria e com fervor
    Hino 60

1. Com alegria e com fervor
    cantemos glória ao Criador!
    Seu Filho é nosso Redentor!
    Aleluia, aleluia, aleluia, aleluia,
    louvado sejas, Salvador!

2. Jesus à morte se entregou;
    em glória e luz ressuscitou,
    vitória eterna conquistou!
    Aleluia, aleluia, aleluia, aleluia,