Comparison of Introits and Graduals Available
  • Outside of the GIAOCP and more paper misallettes....

I hope it is sort of self-explanatory....Christmas Midnight Mass.

Dowload pdf: www.frogmusic.com/ComparisonGradual.pdf
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I am afraid I see a blank PDF . . .
  • It is in hiding...and coming out very quickly...it works SO much better when you FTP it to the public_html folder....instead of the server....fixed!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Noel, you are to be COMMENDED for this project. How can we thank you for making this wonderful PDF page?

The enemies of the Propers (to remain sine nomine here) must be shaking in their boots, especially because of the FREE resources, like those of Fr. Weber.

My only (small) suggestion: zoom in closer BEFORE you use the camera tool to get the chant notation (if you are copying from Jeff Tucker's PDF's) --- this will make it higher resolution. Just a thought.

Finally, thank you for including the Chabanel Psalms! (but I would be praising your work even if they were not included)

For those who don't want to cut and paste: click here for Noel's page
  • a1437053a1437053
    Where can one find some music samples of any of these?
  • Nice and very interesting!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Dear A1437053,

This page gives some audio mp3 samples.

Also, the entire site has practice Mp3's for each Chabanel Psalm.
  • How can I be commended?

I'd be thrilled if all would say:

Saint Michael the Archangel,
    defend us in battle.
    Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -
    by the Divine Power of God -
    cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits,
    who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.
    Amen.
  • GavinGavin
    An excellent comparison of available resources! I would caution against dismissing all "big 3" materials entirely. I think the quality products put out should still be commended. In this case, I specifically think of Proulx's psalm for Midnight Mass, which is based on the "Puer Natus" melody! Also, I think other choral settings of these propers could be addressed. None come to mind immediately, but that's what the resource is for!
  • Gavin,

The form of the psalm composition by the little, unconforming to the church law, three alone disqualifies them from consideration. And why sing an arrangement of a chant, rather than the true chant itself?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    "The form of the psalm composition by the little, unconforming to the church law, three alone disqualifies them from consideration."

Can you explain this sentence? (I am not sure I understand it) --- are you saying they changed the words?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I am going to keep this thing on the top, if it is OK, so everyone can see Noel's amazing work.
  • "the form..." I find the through-composed style of composition used in so many of the OCP/GIA and other psalms illogical, making poor art songs out of psalms that are not metrical...ignoring the historic practice of chant patterns for verses does not make for singable music-making with psalms.
  • GavinGavin
    That criticism can hardly be leveled at a single one of Proulx's psalms.