Off-topic, Children's Catechesis
  • G
    Is anyone either involved in organized faith formation for children, or possessing knowledge of a forum dealing with orthodox catechesis, such as this forum is for music?
    Any help or advice would be appreciated.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • canadashcanadash
    Seton home study school is great. It's not a forum, though the school has a forum. My children know much more than I do when it comes to teachings and church law. You can sign up for religion only.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • francis
    The ultimate sources

The Bible (vulgate)
    The Baltimore Catechism
    The Summa
  • Blaise
    I am not involved in catechesis, but I like the New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia.
  • ronkrisman
    The Vulgate? If one desires to teach the Bible in languages other than the vernacular, wouldn't Hebrew and Greek be better?
    Thanked by 2Blaise Andrew Motyka
  • francis
    Actually, I was referring to the vernacular translation of the vulgate. Mea Culpa!

http://latinvulgate.com/

"The Vulgate preserves readings deemed as important by Saint Jerome, but not necessarily known by today’s scholars. The Douay Rheims Bible preserves these readings. Plus, Jerome was fluent in both Greek and Latin, and was trained by Hebrew speaking rabbis. None of these facts are true of today’s scholars – even the best of them. I can read Hebrew, Greek and Latin, but I don’t trust myself to give the right nuances." TM

ronkrisman:

Which vernacular version of the Bible do you prefer to read?
  • If there were one, I'd have found it. We're in our 16th year of homeschooling and I've not run across one. I have found various groups helpful in supporting my teaching our children the Faith, but none specifically targeted for children's catechesis--not really sure how that would work . One that has been most helpful is a private group for Catholic homeschooling moms. If you'd like to know how to gain access to this group, or would just like more information, please send me a note.

Primarily we have followed the syllabi of Mother of Divine Grace which uses the Baltimore Catechism in the early grades. I think all of the Catholic homeschooling agencies (Seton, MODG, Kolbe, Catholic Heritage Curricula--there are more) are solidly orthodox and have support groups for their subscribers.

Kathy
  • BenBen
    We've had good luck with Kolbe.
  • francis
    My wife and I have been devotees of MODG for many years as early on we realized that we as the parents are the primary educators of our children in the Faith. Also, in general, the church heirarchy has lost touch with the truths and dogma of the Faith.

There is nothing more solid than the Baltimore Catechism. Get one!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    the vernacular translation of the vulgate.

That would be, like, the Vulgata Vulgatae?

I'm a fan of the DR translation (and the KJV, and the Anglican Psalter).

And, while I see where Fr. K is coming from with "why not Greek and Hebrew?", I do think, really, that the LATIN Vulgate should be a central part of a classical Catholic education. I assumed it is what Francis was referring to originally, and I totally agreed with him.

Greek and Hebrew are essential if you want to dig deeper into the Bible in serious academic study.

Latin and the Vulgate are super useful for anybody who wants to be a well-cultured person educated in the classical Western tradition.

(Also - and this is just a wild conjecture - I would bet that a few years of Latin would yield much more useful Latin skill than a similar period of Greek or Hebrew would yield usable skill in either of those languages. So, unless one is likely to take up the task of seriously studying a language for fluency, I would assume that Latin would be a more efficient use of time.)
  • CharlesW
    You used the "L" word repeatedly, Adam! I am shocked!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I am shocked!

I can't imagine why.

(Even though IT WAS NOT LATIN in 19th Century Russia...)
    Thanked by 1CharlesW