Winter Chant Intensive

Only 50 people can come, but they will be very fortunate. It is San Diego, January 5-9, 2009.

More here.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Mad with envy.
    Mary Jane
  • GavinGavin
    Very tempting. My brother is stationed there and I believe that's during my inter-semester break. I'll look into it.
  • Wish I could.. Right when we start school again.
  • same here . . . that's the first week of school after winter break . . . :(
  • OlbashOlbash
    Grrrrrr.... I'm going to South Carolina for MLK weekend to give my own miniature version of a chant intensive. ...And then two weeks later I'm going to San Fran to accompany Incantu for a sacred song recital. I can't very well take THREE weeks off in January!!! Next time, pleeeease give us a little more notice... Chanting for a week in San Diego in the dead of winter is worth rearranging one's calendar for!
  • JennyJenny
    How far are the hotels from the campus? Would a person need to rent a car? (frantically trying to count nickels to see if I can swing it!)
  • priorstf
    Jenny - I'll be at the Holiday Inn Express and will have a car. Be happy to carpool. (I think it's the cheapest of the hotels and last I heard they have free breakfast too.)
  • AOZ
    All recommended hotels are in Old Town San Diego. A very nice area, with plenty to do and see at the close of the day's sessions. Of course you will be doing your homework, but certainly more than a few of you will be taking in the town as well. Renting a car may be the way to go if you prize your independence. But I suspect some will rent cars and carpooling won't be a problem. If you are not going to rent and want to work out some ride sharing, the forum would be a great place to contact other drivers and make arrangements.

Distances from hotels to University of San Diego, FYI:

Holiday Inn Express: 2.6 miles
    Best Western: 1.8 miles
    La Quinta: 2.4 miles
    Marriott: 2.5 miles
    Padre Trail Inn: 1.3 miles
  • JennyJenny
    Thanks Arlene for the info.

priorstf- Thanks for the offer. I hope I can take you up on it.
  • priorstf
    Arlene - Can we officially call it Colloquium XVIII.v ? ;)
  • AOZ
    How about Intensive 2.0
  • mjballoumjballou
    This is an unsolicited advertisement for the Winter Chant Intensive, aimed at those who are sitting on the fence about attending. Go! Scott is a fantastic teacher. Whatever your level - high, medium, or low, you will come back with greater proficiency and, more importantly, deeper love for chant. Scott is tireless and enthusiastic without being a cheerleader. (No offense meant to former cheerleaders out there.) Equally important will be the opportunity to connect with others who care about chant. Many of us work in indifferent or hostile environments and if you're not John the Baptist, you get worn out being the voice in the wilderness. This is a lovely respite. You'll be able to learn what's worked in different places and how to overcome obstacles with patience and good cheer. Plus you'll have a chance to share lots of inside humor with people who actually "get" your jokes.

And again, I say, "Go!"
  • G
    Himself, glancing over my shoulder at the computer, has just developed a remarkable interest in square notes, even though this course would deprive him of a week of Chicagoland in January.
    Go figure....

In all seriousness, if there were any way I could afford it, I would go to every week of chant intensive Scott Turkington ever raised an eyebrow toward.
    I cannot recommend this highly enough.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)