Holy Thursday: Pange Lingua Gloriosi (Latin)
  • Below please find my harmonization of Pange lingua gloriosi for SATB choir. The soprano line is assigned the Mode III chant melody as found in the Graduale Romanum and Graduale Simplex. As written it can be handled by SATT, AATT and ATTT choirs as well.

PDF | MIDI

Feel free to use this harmonization in alternation with the chant, for example:

— verses 1, 3, 5 in unison and 2, 4, 6 in harmony;
    — verses 1–4 in unison, and 5–6 in harmony.

Verses 5 and 6 may be used for Benediction as per usual practice.

If you want me to pair this arrangement with a vernacular translation of your choice, please send me a private message.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Very nice, Ari. Rather different from my own Mode I setting of several years ago.
    Thanked by 1Aristotle Esguerra
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    THIS WILL GET USED.
  • Very nice!
  • Files updated to correct a stray hyphen and revise two pitches.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    THIS ARRANGEMENT IS AMAZING.

Brought it to rehearsal tonight. I thought it would take a few evenings to get it down. We had it, and beautiful, in about 30 minutes. (Just singing the text of verse 1.)

The individual lines are a pleasure to sing, and the overall sound was just gorgeous.

My wife - an alto with an irrational antipathy toward Gregorian chant - said:
    1. "I have a soft spot in my heart for Pange Lingua, but I've never really liked it. But - you can tell Aristotle - I loved this."
    2. "Usually, when I know a melody really well, I don't like that I have to sing Alto, because I just want to sing the song I know. THIS - I really like singing the Alto part."

Every one in the choir loved it.

I'll try to record it at the next rehearsal.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Multas gratias, Aristotle. I'm very fond of alternating plainchant with harmony like this. We will definitely sing this during Lent.

The inscription is intriguing: Omnia quæ scripsi vidéntur mihi páleæ. (Everything which I have written seems to me pale (imitations of the real thing?). Is that from St. Thomas Aquinas?
  • JulieColl, yes, that inscription by St. Thomas Aquinas reflects how I view my output in comparison to Gregorian chant.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    The mysterious origins of Gregorian chant. The more I sing it and hear it, the more convinced I am that no other music can reach the heart or capture a theme in Scripture or a moment in the liturgy like Latin plainchant.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Nice work!
  • Aristotle, the link no longer works. Can you reset or resubmit
  • Original post has been revised to include (hopefully) permanent Dropbox links.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Gorgeous. I wished I had found this earlier. Still may try it anyway.
  • Thank you Aristotle!
  • LenaH
    Bump....

Aristotle, your dropbox links are not working. Could you please resend? Thank you!
    Thanked by 2MarkThompson KyleM18
  • Original post has been revised (again) to include (hopefully) permanent Dropbox links.