Hymn: Sing praise to God in heaven above (Charles H. Giffen)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    For the Vatican II Hymnal, I wrote a harmonization of GENEVA, used with the hymn "Sing praise to God in heaven above" (no. 210, I think). I have just published at CPDL a reworking of this setting. The setting includes an alternate harmonization with optional descant for the third stanza. Attached here is the PDF score.

EDIT (2014-02-17, 7:21 am CST): I just uploaded another revision of the score. The corresponding revised sound file will be found further down this thread with "Nun lobet Gott im hohen Thron" (the music is the same).
    Thanked by 1kenstb
  • kenstb
    It is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Jani
    What kenstb said - absolutely!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Just glorious. Thanks for this!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • It is wonderful. This raises the question:

Should we be teaching congregations hymns or hymn tunes?

Ooops...CharlesW caught me not being clear...should we be teaching really good hymn tunes like this one and using alternate texts with them for seasons, for example, rather than teaching more hymns that get little use and are not learned as a result. Steer away from the dreck!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Yes, we should. Hymns are now a part of Mass and I don't see them going away. I know, I know - Propers. I use them, but they will not replace hymns in the OF and be as widely used as they once were. So if we are going to have hymns, let's sing the best hymns possible.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I have prepared the corresponding German edition for "Nun lobet Gott im hohen Thron" which is Kaspar Ulenberg's original text ... a metrical paraphrase of Psalm 117. The present revision for this and for "Sing praise to God in heaven above" are much better now and represent a real improvement over the original postings. Of course, both the English and German versions have the same music.

The PDF score is attached here along with the MP3 sound file. Note that the sound file here is compressed at 128kbps so as to fit within the 2mb file size limit here. A sonically better 320kbps version will be found at the CPDL.

EDIT: Final revised version uploaded 2014-02-17, 7:35 am CST.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    *Bump* – Scores for one final revision of both "Sing praise to God in heaven above" and "Nun lobet Gott im hohen Thron" have now been uploaded, along with a corresponding sound file.