Free Online Course on Sacred Art and Music
  • Holy Apostles College and Seminary: A Massive Open Online Course entitled "Sacred Art & Sacred Music" being offered by Fr. Dennis Kolinski, SJC, March 17-April 11.

The course description is as follows: This course will examine the Church’s teachings on sacred art and music as an integral part of the Liturgy in the Latin Rite tradition. It will look at why the Church considers sacred art and music essential to the ultimate purpose of its liturgy: the worship of God, and by means of it, the sanctification and edification of the faithful. It will look at how the Church defines “sacred art” and “sacred music,” and how they can authentically be given expression today in service of the liturgy.

To register for the free, non-credit course, please sign up at https://hacsmooc.eventbrite.com/
    Persons completing this course will receive a certificate of completion and a social media badge.
  • Anna,

This looks great.....I followed the link and it didn't appear to take me to where I could register for this event. Did I miss something.

Thanks,

David Deavy
  • PennyPenny
    David, if you click on "Register", you'll be taken to a page which shows the Sacred Art and Music course.
  • Got it thanks..completed the registration..I will recommend it to others..I think highly of St. John Cantius folks.
  • G
    Omigosh, I was JUST looking over Coursera, wishing there were something like this, thank you!
    I am still interested in a Peter Singer course, for a number of reasons... :oP

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • aria
    Thanks for posting this, it looks wonderful!

Are these pre-recorded videos or do we need to log in at a certain time?

If I'm not trying to get the certificate, it's ok just to participate in what I'm able to fit into my schedule, right?

(Edited: I just looked at the ethics course w/ Peter Singer- that looks cool, too. I have the same questions about that one. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate your reply. Thanks!)
  • G
    OT, just to make sure, aria, you know who Singer is, right?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • chonakchonak
    Yeah, you might want to run a net-search on him before signing up.
    Thanked by 1Blaise
  • Blaise
    As the resident undergraduate sciences student on these forums, allow me, if you please, to give a very very brief introduction to Peter Singer. He is a philosopher and so called bioethicist who thinks that sometimes the lives of animals are worth more than young children. With that information, you can decide if you want to take his course. Nevertheless, please do, as chonak said, an internet search on him.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • aria
    Thanks, everyone, I had no idea about Singer. {Insert sheepish grin here}. I was just interested in the ethical questions relating to brain death and end-of-life decisions. There have been several high-profile cases relating to those tough moral questions lately, and I've been wanting to learn more. Guess he's not going to be the resource I was hoping for...

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread. Back to my original question: "Are these pre-recorded videos or do we need to log in at a certain time? If I'm not trying to get the certificate, it's ok just to participate in what I'm able to fit into my schedule, right?"
  • Anyone with that public of a profile has been criticised by people much bigger than you fwiw. I think I've heard him condemned on talk radio as a matter of fact. When one is that public there really is no defamation of character. Look at everything said about presidents Bush and Obama.
  • aria
    I emailed them a got a quick response... if you don't need the certificate, it's fine to participate as you can (while keeping pace w/ the weekly format) and you don't have to take the quizzes or participate in the online forum.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1