Diocese of Palm Beach 25th Anniversary
  • I'm happy to announce that the Schola cantorum of the Palm Beaches will be singing the communion antiphon and Communio verses at the festal Mass celebrating the founding of the Palm Beach, FL diocese. This is a big event for us since we will offer Gregorian chant in a diocese that has NEVER truly experienced it (other than when it was part of another diocese). The norm here is more pop than in other areas of the country, I believe. That said, the music selected for the Mass is mostly in Latin (although set by Joncas, et al, for the most part). We are very excited to be able to offer the Church's music at such a public event.
  • Wow, that is so exciting. Official events like this are great times for scholas to sing. it grants a kind of legitimacy to our undertakings. The Catholic faithful really take note of who is singing what at these things.
  • mjballoumjballou
    How positively thrilling, Michael! If it's getting better in Palm Beach, there's hope for the rest of us.
  • We're very much looking forward to it. I'm hoping that the folks notice how well rehearsed it is. It's a beautiful chant (communion for Our Lady Queen of the Apostles, who is the patroness of our diocese)
  • Just reporting that all went splendidly at last night's anniversary Mass. Not a lot of comments, but that's par for the course here. For some reason, people in this neck of the woods just bolt after Mass, even special ones. The diocesan choir director thought it was beautiful, though. IMO, the only flaw was the gradual speeding up of the antiphon. If I had more control of the situation (had to keep track of when the priests got to their communion positions) I might have concentrated more on keeping it from doing that. The ladies were a bit self conscious on the verses, but they came through fine. I think we opened some ears and at least the bishop heard us for the first time. We have a good schedule this year. IC Vespers on the 7th and EF Masses during Lent and Pentecost. For South Florida, this is actually huge.
  • the bishop heard us for the first time.

This is very good
  • mjballoumjballou
    Hooray for Michael and his schola! And remember to cherish the ladies.
  • Mary Jane, You are a good one! How'd you know that they are one of my favorite Irish bands?

Can't wait to join forces with you all sometime.