This little light of mine
  • Hi everyone,

I'm looking for an organ setting "this little light of mine" for this coming Sunday as a prelude. Does anyone know where I can find a setting online? I would prefer something that is a PDF I can purchase and print out or a setting that another fellow forum member might have composed and would be willing the share.

Thanks so much!
  • Kathy
    I have a setting requiring kazoo and melodeon, if that'll help.

j/k
  • Haha. Not my normal kind of prelude but it's the close of catholic schools week, Light is the theme of the mass this weekend. I thought it would be nice as a prelude!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Light is the theme of the mass this weekend

No it isn't.
    Thanked by 3Ben matthewj bkenney27
  • The wonderful entry of the Lord of Glory into his own temple, is the theme of this feast.
  • BenBen
    Sorry, the theme is the paschal sacrifice of the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ.
  • Kathy
    It is unfortunate about the coincidence of a great Feast of the Lord and Catholic Schools Week. Catholic Schools Week is a runaway train in my experience. You have my sympathies. You can have my kazoo too--you will need it! (Thanks for being a good sport btw)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    the theme is the paschal sacrifice of the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ.

!!
  • Kathy
    Actually, I wouldn't ordinarily say this, but the theme is pretty much light...
  • CharlesW
    It's Presentation, Candlemas, and most important of all, Groundhog Day! ;-)
  • When in doubt about the specific theme of any particular liturgy, check out the introit.

For a prelude theme, might I suggest working with the melody of "Lumen ad revelationem gentium"? It's simple and beautiful, and the translation should be edifying for anyone thinking of the light of Christ.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    and most important of all, Groundhog Day! ;-)

ooh - you could do a improvisation on the theme from "I Got You, Babe."
  • CharlesW
    Good place for a swine organ.
  • Kind of awesome how Jesus was authentically universal and embraced all ethnicities and groovily multicultural before it became a trendy thing.
    I sense a theme...

• CHGiffenCHGiffen
    but the theme is pretty much light...

Yep, sounds pretty much that way to me, too:
    LORD, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace,
      according to thy word;
    For mine eyes have seen thy salvation,
    Which thou hast prepared
      before the face of all people;
    To be a light to lighten the Gentiles,
      and to be the glory of thy people Israel.
  • ooh - you could do a improvisation on the theme from "I Got You, Babe."

I can hear the right hand ostinato now...
  • SalieriSalieri
    Triple Fugue: "This little light", "Lumen ad revelationem" & "I got you, Babe".
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Every improvising organist reading in this thread now is in GRAVE DANGER of accidentally slipping in something that we read in this thread that our subconscious will remember.

I recall a few months ago, while improvising during the incensing at the Offertory, hearing the Parks and Rec theme song start recurring in my head. I quickly pushed it aside and went extra-Gregorian.
    Thanked by 2mrcopper hilluminar
  • That parks and rec theme is so cheery and catchy. I find my head bobbling to it in spite of myself.

Now I hear the triple fugue. Dastardly!! I can't decide if its aural delight or torture...

Two musician parents, and four mini composers on various instruments equals delight morphing into torture fairly often at my house.

Soooooooo we made a "ten rule". If someone is working out a new theme, or just practicing, they get to play/sing whatever it is ten times without anyone complaining. After that, if someone calls "10!!!" on the offender, he or she must move on to other musical material or be quiet and practice in their head. This rule guarantees that listeners won't have to endure past ten times and players have ten times to hone a passage until next time.

It has saved my sanity, though after nine years in practice rooms and four really loud children I have a fairly high tolerance.
  • When I was in PA, I heard a prominent member of GIA who shall remain nameless improvise on "When the Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" during incensing.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • CharlesW
    A local guitar guru who tells us we don't understand Vatican II, played "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica during communion at a "folk" mass. Who do you think doesn't understand Vatican II?
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • The theme of catholic schools week is faith, hope, knowledge and the priest has mentioned the theme of light because of the blessing of candles. So light seems like a dominant theme besides the feast of the Presentation of The Lord. I believe combining the both themes (of the closing of catholic schools week and feast of the Presentation of The Lord) sounds like a good route to go.
  • GavinGavin
    If you can get a copy of the hymnal "Hymns of Truth and Light", there's a nice harmonization of said song in there. It may be at your local college library.

Rather than follow the rude tack of criticizing your choice of music as everyone else has done, might I be so rude as to suggest you plan your voluntaries more than 5 days in advance of liturgy? There's actually a few quite good settings I can recommend to you, if you were willing to purchase them and practice them.
  • What settings do you suggest Gavin?
  • francis
    What about Shine, Jesus Shine! (purple, bold, italic, underline, in quotes and flashing on and off!)
    Thanked by 2Kathy bkenney27
  • Soooooooo we made a "ten rule". If someone is working out a new theme, or just practicing, they get to play/sing whatever it is ten times without anyone complaining. After that, if someone calls "10!!!" on the offender, he or she must move on to other musical material or be quiet and practice in their head.

This is GENIUS MaryAnn Carr Wilson!!! I'm 100% certain I drove my parents insane between 3-5 instruments at any given time. My oldest is now 10 and showing an interest in the organ (YAY!) but at the same time I dread those "awkward" years...
  • CharlesW
    Digital keyboard instruments usually have a headphone jack, which preserves the sanity of those nearby.

• CharlesW
    I vote we round up those creative priests, and send them on a Royal Caribbean cruise.
    Thanked by 3Kathy Ben expeditus1
  • Kathy, I love Eye of the Tiber!!! Great link.
    You know those guys are from SD, right?
  • Kathy
    Isn't everybody from SD? ;)
  • CharlesW
    Oh, Yeah! That and Ship of Fools are my favorite sites.
  • kenstb

I am amazed that a priest would admit to such a thing. If he's serious and if anyone knows him, I would suggest that he check out "Sermons for every Sunday of the Year" by St. Alphonsus Maria De Ligouri. It's online at

http://www.archive.org/stream/sermonsforallsun00liguuoft#page/n5/mode/2up
  • francis
    Alphonsus is one of my absolute favorite saints (and authors)