Psalm Settings for Sunday EF Vespers?
  • aphill
    I am conducting a choir for a solemn Vespers and Benediction service coming up on Laetare Sunday. I have been looking through the options that I can find with regard to the psalms. Since I have a solid SATB choir, I would like to offer something more musically "interesting" than the chants from the Liber Usualis (that's not to say that the chants aren't good!).

There are some polyphonic settings that I have found, and I think we will use a couple of Victoria's settings, but what I really want is something along the lines of Anglican chant/falsobordone with the Latin text thrown in. It seems to me that this would be a good middle ground between full-on polyphony and the chants from the Liber. Does anyone know if anything like this exists? I imagine that it does, but I have not been able to locate it yet. If I have to, I suppose I can find some settings online and adapt the psalm texts myself, but it would be great if I didn't have to start from scratch. Many thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!
  • aphill
    Bumping this to the top - does anyone have any suggestions re: the above?
  • Protasius
    If I'm not mistaken there should be a falsobordone setting of Sunday Vespers psalms in the colloquium music package.
    Thanked by 1aphill
  • aphill
    Thanks for the suggestion - I managed to locate the 2011 packet online, which had falsobordone settings for a couple of the psalms.
  • BGP
    I vaguely recall, and I can’t check right now, 2 or 4 part settings in the old ‘St Gregory hymnal’