Praise for "A Gregorian Chant Masterclass"
  • soli
    In case any of the posters/readers here have not heard of it, I would like to let you know about a resource that has been extremely helpful in getting chant off the ground with myself and our schola, who are really beginners in gregorian chant. It is a book and accompanying CD called "A Gregorian Chant Masterclass" - the work of Dr. Marier, Scott Turkington, the Nuns of Regina Laudis Abbey and the Stamford Schola Gregoriana. Here is the link: http://www.abbeyofreginalaudis.com/sitelive/cds/masterclass/masterclass.htm . You can listen to some examples of the CD tracks that accompany the instructions. There is more material in the book and the examples are so excellent, well marked and clear. I'm actually begin to feel comfortable with the different neumes and the resource helps to develop a feel and understanding of the rhythm of the chant.

I would say this resource is especially good for scholas that are trying to start up, but lack a "chant expert" in their geographical area. We are only on lesson 2 in our schola, but I have been studying the material ahead of the rest. It is wonderful.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I'll second the endorsement. After having heard it talked about around here for a while, I was pleased to be able to borrow a copy from an acquaintance of mine. The text is elegantly done, and the audio examples are clear and straightforward. As a lifelong musician, I was already familiar with modes and was able to learn four-line staff notation from reading other materials, but as someone new to chant, the whole Solesmes rhythm approach was mysterious. "A Gregorian Chant Masterclass" made it much clearer for me, I'm happy to say.