Offertory Antiphon in Spanish for Laetare Sunday (4th Sunday of Lent)
  • gregpgregp
    I'm begging a favor of the Forum: I'm giving a workshop on Saturday, March 29th, at the conclusion of which I hope to have the attendees sing the Mass at the parish's normal Saturday evening Mass. This would be a typical Novus Ordo Mass in a typical parish. We're trying to demonstrate the range and depth of English propers that are available for choirs to sing, and it occurred to me that a Spanish Offertory would be quite nice and demonstrate that Spanish chanted propers are also possible, and desirable.

The only problem is, I can't find any. Does anyone have, or could anyone compose, a chanted setting of the Offertory for the 4th Sunday of Lent? As far as I can tell from the calendar, the (Latin) text of that would be "Illiumina oculos meos".

Many thanks!!!
  • gregpgregp
    Bumping..

A friend gave me an 'unofficial' translation, it is Psalm 12:4-5:

Ilumina mis ojos, no sea que sueño de la muerte;
    no sea que mi enemigo diga: "He prevalecido contra él.

If anyone has an 'official' version, and perhaps, even, a chant setting, I would greatly appreciate it.
  • ronkrisman
    The version of the psalter approved for liturgical books in Spanish in the USA is the one from the Episcopal Conference of Spain (Conferencia Episcopal Española, or CEE).

The text for Psalm 13(12):4-5 is given below. If the citation actually should be for verses 4b-5a (based on the text supplied by gregp), begin at "da luz" instead of "atiende," and end at "podido."
    Atiende y respóndeme, Señor, Dios mío;
    da luz a mis ojos
    para que no me duerma en la muerte,
    para que no diga mi enemigo: “le he podido,”
    ni se alegre mi adversario de mi fracaso.
    Thanked by 1gregp