Determining the proper Propers
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Elsewhere on the forum it has been discussed how to determine the proper for weekday Masses: ferials, memorials etc.

Also the debate about whether or not the antiphons in the Missal should be sung or not. No need to rehash that again here.

However I'm still not sure about "special Masses" such as for various needs etc. One example being For Unity Among Christians. The Roman Missal gives an Entrance and Communion antiphon in addition to the collects etc., but is there anything corresponding in the Graduale? In some cases perhaps, but I don't think all (I don't have my Graduale in front of me, but that's what I recall).

Bottom line, if there isn't a corresponding set of Propers in the Graduale for a particular Mass, what would the proper sung antiphons be? Would one stick with the "Mass of the Day" or use some other strategy?
  • There are propers for votive masses for varipus needs in the back of the Graduale Romanum, Graduale Simplex and in By Flowing Waters.

Using good judgement, there are many other suitable propers found through the year and you can mix and match a little. I often use the introit from Sunday 28 in lent for example: "O Lord, if you were to take into account our iniquities who would withstand the test? But forgiveness abides with You O God of Israel. "
  • BenBen
  • BenBen
    In general, I always stick with the Mass of the day. During ordinary time, however, I sometimes switch around more freely, if the situation is appropriate. Even then, I still usually use the Mass of the day.

• For votive Masses, I tend to use the "In Any Need" from the Graduale Simplex.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey