can you sing "Tu es Petrus"
  • CGM
    When the bishop or archbishop of your diocese visits your parish? No, he's not the pope, but he does get his authority from the pope, and is, in some sense, a representative of the pope, as the disciples were sent out by Jesus...
  • I thought that there was a prescribed antiphon for this.
  • Solemn reception of a Bishop (GregoBase/Liber Usualis):
    Antiphon
    Responsory
    Thanked by 2CGM CHGiffen
  • You beat me to it, Aristotle! Just for fun then, the antiphon from the Processionale Monasticum 308 (1893):
    Thanked by 2CGM CHGiffen
  • CGM
    Gentlemen, thank you.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Is it allowed at an EF Confirmation for example to sing a polyphonic version of the Ecce Sacerdos instead of the chanted antiphon?
  • It is absolutely allowed to sing a polyphonic version of Ecce sacerdos. The choir may sing polyphony just about anytime except for the responses, or special situations such as when it sings the Synagoga part of the Passion. And especially sing polyphony during Lent - chant is the preferential option, not the penitential option!
  • Yes, I also thought the reception of a bishop was Ecce Sacerdos Magnus.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks, Arthur. I take it then that it would be permissible to sing Victoria's Ecce Sacerdos when the bishop processes in for an EF Confimation service? Is it the correct text? The link is here. It isn't the same as the text that Aristotle presented.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNAShUfXCJA

If Victoria's is not suitable, are there any suggestions for an SATB Ecce Sacerdos (other than the one in the St. Gregory's Hymnal)?

Would this one by L. Bonvin, SJ be suitable?

Any help on this is much appreciated!

ADD: I'm having trouble finding something that isn't SSSAAATTBBBB with a brass quintet and orchestra!

P.S. I think I just answered my own question and found the solution on CPDL. Singenburger's Ecce Sacerdos is much more our speed. It's SATB with a moderate organ accompaniment and no brass section needed. The score is here and there's an mp3 here on Sheet Music Plus. The plain chant version just doesn't seem like the ticket for our circumstances, although it is beautiful in its own way.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • This thread is just the reminder I needed. We need to learn a "Tu es Petrus" and I had shopped at cpdl over the summer and chosen Morales' 5 part setting since I could easily incorporate some Choristers on the top line. Time to start on it!

But now I'm going to check out the Singenburger, too. :)
  • Note that in the EF at least, the ritual described in the Liber Usualis (pp. 1840-42) is for the Ordinary of the Diocese, not an Auxiliary or Coadjutor bishop.
  • I'm kind of partial to the Elgar Ecce sacerdos, myself. Yes, it's very romantic. So?
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I agree; the Elgar can be very nice if it isn't shmaltzed up too much.

The great thing about having so many arrangements is you can find the exact one you're looking for that will suit the occasion and music people involved.
  • A choir I was in (but do not direct) sang Bruckner's Ecce Sacerdos for a recent Mass with our bishop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCDZATJvBZg

This isn't us singing it, but it gives you a taste.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • Let me also put in a plug for this version of "Sacerdos et Pontifex":
    http://chopin.edu.pl/~lukaszewski/Sacerdos et Pontifex.mp3

We did this for last year's Confirmations, with resounding success. It was so resounding, in fact, that I actually feared for the structural foundation of our old church building. I can only imagine what it would sound like with 2 organs, as is written. I have found its Polish composer, Pawel Lukaszewski, to be a most gracious man in my music correspondence with him.
  • BenBen
    I love that version. I'm sure it sounded fantastic at the confirmations.

Do you have a score to post? People might appreciate that...
  • Ben, I had contacted Pawel Lukaszewski directly last year, after having had difficulty contacting the music publisher, and he sent me a copy himself. Although I would love to post it here on the forum, I would be hesitant to do so, not having received permission from the composer.

Here is the contact information I used:

e-mail: lukaszewski@chopin.edu.pl
    phone: +48-501-33-99-02

Worldwide promotion enquiries and ALL PERUSAL SCORE REQUESTS:

Chester Music Ltd and Novello & Co.
    14/15 Berners Street
    London, W1T 3LJ
    UNITED KINGDOM

• chonakchonak
    Here's the composer's website: http://www.lukaszewski.org.uk/
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen