Which tone for a little organ?
  • veromaryveromary
    Not a very important question, but when I get the chance to play the organ, it's often one of those little ones with a tone called "Church Organ" or maybe a few like "Reed Organ", "Chapel Organ", etc.

Generally I prefer the sound of the "Clarinet" on these things. The "organ" tones seem a bit out of place coming from such small speakers. But I notice most other organists will pick an organ tone.

Any guidance?
  • BenBen
    At least on my keyboard, the recorder stop works well to replicate a flute stop. YMMV

It'll really be different on every keyboard. If you have an option to layer the sounds (mine does), you might even try combining things too, like recorder + clarinet, or different things like that.

I just tried, and my clarinet setting also isn't bad.
    Thanked by 1veromary
  • It depends on the individual keyboard. I've found that "Pipe Organ" and "Church Organ" are two different sounds. The former sounds as an 8'+4'+2' Diapason/Flute chorus, whilst the "Church Organ" sound seems to have a 16', mixture and a reed. Often the "Chapel Organ" sound is an 8' Flute/Stopped Diapason, although is sometimes 8'+4'.

On one keyboard I use, the "Flute" sound is about right for single 8' Flute rank. "Clarinet" sometimes works well for a sound, but often ends up sounding like a harmonium.

I sometimes wish that Roland would make a keyboard like their C190 just a simple 61-note keyboard with a selection of 6 or 7 stops and sell it for much cheaper. All the additional features appear to appeal to the synth market, and many of us just need something that sounds like an organ so that we can play in places where there is no organ.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I sometimes wish that Roland would make a keyboard like their C190 just a simple 61-note keyboard with a selection of 6 or 7 stops and sell it for much cheaper. All the additional features appear to appeal to the synth market, and many of us just need something that sounds like an organ so that we can play in places where there is no organ.

Yes, yes, yes!
  • Priestboi
    Would it be worth using the free Hauptwerk download, a cheap $100 USB synth, a free organ sample such as the St Anne's or Lars sample sets in conjunction with a laptop and the PA or speakers already in place.

Just a question. The sound I get is way better than a roland imho
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I have done that with my Yamaha, and the settings were awesome. We used the St. Anne's sample set. However, it was way too cumbersome to transport and set up at our chapel every Sunday. I don't think we could fit one more thing in our car as it is every Sunday morning but it was indeed a huge improvement.