Words with Wings - Ready to use it with your parish choirs in September?
  • My first connection through Mary Weaver to CMAA was a worship in Auburn, AL, where I got to meet and learn from Arlene Oost-Zinner, Jeffrey Tucker (>•<) and Wllko Brouwers with <br />
    Some years later, Words with Wings appeared, written by Wilko Brouwers and translated by Arlene. In the credits, Wilko thanks Scott Turkington for inspiring him to write this book. Scott's another person with the same passion.

I've gone through the student book and the Instructor book and here is my conclusion. If you want to get chant being sung in your church, this summer at the Colloquium would be a good time to get trained in teaching WWW. I do not know if that is planned or being considered, but i advise it, even if it is added as session before or after the Colloquium itself.

Wilko Bouwers is a kind, nice man, a brilliant musician and a funny man. Think of Victor Borge, but a nice Victor Borge who uses his humor to teach.

If you have taken any of his choral training classes, you will remember "Waiting for the bus."

Words for Wings was written for children. My experience has been that if you teach a class in chant having children, the younger the better, and adults in the same class has a wonderful effect.

The children are not afraid to ask questions and to respond to directions, much faster than adults.

Adults are on the best behavior when in the same room with children.

This adds up to a tremendously effective teaching environment and has the potential to do a very fast transformation of your parish music program. There is enough information in the Instructor Edition that anyone from this group could use these books but the possibly of meeting with Wilko and Arlene in training session would inspire anyone, even the most serious doubter, to move to start the program at your parish.

It will work to bring Latin to OF Masses and be welcomed by EF Masses as well. Working its way through the church year, your young musicians (and older ones) will learn about the church year. The use of Latin and the simple vocal exercises can work to improve the singing of your choirs in English as well...all voice teachers use italian to rid singers of regional vocal quirks and focus on singing in Latin as well for the same reason....which is why so many non-Catholic singers are heard singing Ave Maris.

If you have the opportunity to have Arlene come to your parish and present Words with Wings or get to study with Wliko, that experience will prepare you to begin this fascinating journey with Wliko and Arlene into the world of Gregoran Chant.
  • I have long had my eye on this program and am hoping I can convince our children's choir director to work with me on it.

I plan to utilize some of these lessons for my school choir ASAP.
  • canadashcanadash
    I wonder if Prof. Bouwers or Arlene would consider giving sessions on this program at the CMAA conference?