Divine Office for Anglican Ordinariate
  • Are there any resources for the Divine Office for the Anglican Ordinariate? For example, are they allowed to use an alternative psalter or the readings be taken from a different translation of the Bible?
  • chonakchonak
    Information on options permitted in the UK Ordinariate are here.
    Thanked by 1igneus
  • IanWIanW
    From the page to which Chonak kindly links:

The Order for the Celebration of Holy Matrimony is awaiting final approval for use in England and Wales

Oh dear. I hope that's not a matter for the black hole that is the Liturgy Office of England & Wales. If so, don't hold your breath.
  • The offices of the Ordinariate are found in:
    1. The Book of Divine Worship (Newman House Press)
    2. The Anglican Use Office (ed., C. David Burt: Partrige Hill Press)

For the Ordinariate (as opposed to those parishes which have elected not to join the Ordinariate but remain Anglican Use) a revision of the order of mass has now replaced that in the BDW, and revisions of the offices are under way.

The offices as contained in the BDW and the AUO are basically the same as those of the 1979 BCP. The new revisions for the Ordinariate do not (thankfully) allow for rite II, but for a single rite with historic Anglican language.

The psalter is Miles Coverdale
    For the lessons we (Our Lady of Walsingham, Houston) use the Catholic RSV.

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Jackson, are there any differences between options for the US and UK Ordinariates? I was under the impression that hartleymartin was in Albion.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • The revised order of mass now in use as of three or four months ago is common to all the world's ordinariates. The revision of the offices is under way. When this is all complete, all the ordinariates will be using a common order of mass, offices and rituals. This does not apply to those few parishes (such as Our Lady of the Atonement, San Antonio) which have elected not to join the ordinariate. They will continue to use the BDW.

These revisions for the ordinariates have been/are being carried out by liturgical and literary scholars from the UK, the US, and Australia, plus scholars at the Vatican. There are/ have been some difficult negotiations over language, allowing as how our English cousins do not have the fondness for historic Anglican language and usage that we Americans do. This is surprising, but the English have tended simply to use Roman Catholic missals, thinking that any historic Anglican books were 'protty' (actually, they are, but for a few unfortunate locutions, surprisingly orthodox), whilst we Americans have tended to treasure the BCP and celebrated its liturgies with all Catholic solemnities.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    So, just to get it clear for my own understanding:

- the US Ordinariate Office has the BDW and the AU Office book
    - the UK Ordinariate Office has the BDW (with certain exclusions) and the Customary (I haven't seen it, so I don't know what Office rites it has).

This is all to be unified in the future, but for now, is that the current state of things?
  • jpal
    those parishes which have elected not to join the Ordinariate but remain Anglican Use

I'm confused -- does this mean they are Diocesan parishes, implementing the Anglican Use?
  • chonakchonak
    Yes; they were established under the "Pastoral Provision" rules created in the mid-80s, and have not elected to request a transfer from their respective dioceses into the Ordinariate. Such communities exist in Boston (St. Athanasius Congregation) and San Antonio (Our Lady of the Atonement Parish).
  • The Anglican Ordinariate is struggling here in Sydney, partly due to a very different sort of Anglican church in this area than in most other places. Such a shame because I have a very strong Anglican (and Methodist) heritage in my family which gives me a great fondness for all thonfs English and high church.
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks for clarifying: I was mistaken about your whereabouts! The Ordinariate for Australia doesn't seem to have any specifics on-line about liturgical books, so you may have to contact them to be sure about what is appropriate for Daily Office there.
  • jpal -
    Yes.
  • IanWIanW
    our English cousins do not have the fondness for historic Anglican language and usage that we Americans do

My impression is that this was an attitude of a certain generation of Anglo-Catholic priest, and that the preference of the faithful was for the linguistic heritage.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn