Pius X Hymnal (of Marier) online
  • ronkrisman
    Although Ted Marier was, I am sure, a valuable member of the Pius X Hymnal Committee and personally edited several hymns and pieces of polyphony in the hymnal, he wasn't "the editor" by a long shot. On the title page one reads: Compiled, Arranged and Edited by the Faculty of the PIUS TENTH SCHOOL OF LITURGICAL MUSIC, Manhattanville College of the Sacred Heart, Purchase, New York. Additional information about the faculty's work on the hymnal is found on the acknowledgment page. I personally knew five of the six members of the hymnal committee (all but J. Vincent Higginson) and several other Pius X faculty members who worked long and hard on the project. I feel confident in stating that Dr. Marier never himself claimed to have been the editor of this fine hymnal and choir book (more so the latter than the former). Why rewrite history?
    Thanked by 1MarkThompson
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I put that up there because most people know it as a Marier hymnal, as opposed to the other Pius X Hymnal (from Australia?) that has been online for years.
  • ronkrisman
    Well, then give the credit to Mother Morgan. She was the guiding force in the preparation of the hymnal.
  • chonakchonak
    Fair call. Perhaps people associate the hymnal with Marier because he contributed so many arrangements to it. Flipping through the pages, I'd estimate that he was the single greatest source of harmonizations, with Achille Bragers next.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Perhaps people associate the hymnal with Marier because he contributed so many arrangements to it.

I'm going to start calling Oramus Cantando "the Krisman hymnal."
  • Liam
    And many of the arrangements and ideas were carried over or developed later in Cantus Populi and then HP&SC (both editions). It's nice to have all the editions at my disposal, though it took some doing to get SATB editions of all 4.
  • Ronkrisman: I was a member of the Boston Archdiocesan Choir at St. Paul Church, Cambridge, MA from 1976-1986 under Dr. Marier's direction. I'm unaware if Dr. Marier ever considered himself a primary "editor" of the Pius X Hymnal or not. But he was proud of the fact that it was the first important Catholic hymnal of hymns, chants and polyphony in the early 1950s. He was also a faculty member of Pius X summer school for many years. But most importantly, Dr. Marier was, from 1945 - 1962, THE "editor" at McLaughlin & Reilly---the sole publisher of the Pius X hymnal. In that regard, he was certainly a major driving force as an "editor" in the publication of the hymnal. I know that he and Mother Morgan were good friends, as he spoke of her often, and they did work on the publication of the hymnal together with others. Later, he was responsible for the publication of "Cantus Populi" (M&R) as well.

Also, Dr. M. worked tirelessly to upate the catalogue of M&R during his editorship, adding masses and motets of Flor Peeters, Jean Langlais, Russell Woollen, Palestrina, de Lassus, etc. At M&R, he was also responsible for publishing "The Little Organ Book" (Peeters' organ method) "Mass in Ancient Style" - J. Langlais, "Mass in Honor of St. Joseph", "Missa Laudis" and "Missa Festiva" --all by Peeters. The "Twelve Chorales on Gregorian Themes" -- J. Demessieux were first published at M&R in 1950 at Dr. Marier's request of Demessieux. Dr. Marier was responsible for bringing Mme. Demessieux to Boston on a couple of occasions for recitals at Symphony Hall.

To sing under his direction, and to hear him improvising at the organ is something I will never forget. He was RELENTLESS when it came to producing a choral sound that was balanced, beautiful, and with impeccable diction. He worked us until he got what he wanted. He was a devout Catholic, always a gentleman, but persistant in achieving excellence of sacred choral music for the honor and glory of God. A day doesn't pass that I don't miss him, especially when I now sing anthems or motets that I sang under Dr. Marier's direction.
  • Does anyone know if there are any plans to revive Marier's "Hymns, Psalms, and Spiritual Canticles"?
  • ronkrisman
    Thank you, Unda_Maris, for your wonderful tribute to Dr. Marier. Although he no longer taught at Manhattanville College during the summers and full academic year I studied there, I met Dr. Marier for the first time at the Easter week 1970 CMAA conference he directed in Boston on new music for the revised Order of Mass. After that I was able to worship at St. Paul's in Cambridge on a number of occasions while he was there. It was at the 1970 CMAA meeting that the participants first experienced Dr. Marier's recto tono Glory to God in the Highest and its very creative accompaniment.

I enjoyed very much reading your recollections.
  • chonakchonak
    svaillan wrote:
    Does anyone know if there are any plans to revive Marier's "Hymns, Psalms, and Spiritual Canticles"?

Randolph Nichols answered the question last year:
    The consensus at St. Paul’s is that a HPSC revision, at least as originally envisioned, is never going to happen. The parish now uses a soft-cover book created by John Robinson that includes most of the settings of the Ordinary found in the original hymnal, but with adaptions to accommodate the new English translations.

A significant change in the new book is that Marier’s much beloved Psalter settings have been replaced by the new Grail texts sung in a liturgy-of-the-hours style with the antiphon, based on the psalm tone, sung only at the beginning and at the end. For the verses, the boys sing the first two lines and the congregation, with men leading, sing the third and fourth lines. Because this has been a controversial move, a compromise has been worked out whereby the Marier psalms are retained at the 9:30 a.m. Mass (when the parish volunteer choir sings).

The old hymnal of course remains in the pews, but it is used primarily for hymns. Many of us are hoping that those portions of the hymnal not restricted by legal complications will soon become available to all on-line.

(link)

• I'm going to start calling Oramus Cantando "the Krisman hymnal."

And the St. Gregory's Hymnal the "Montani Hymnal"
    Thanked by 1francis
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    Another major contributor to the development of the Pius X Hymnal was J. Vincent Higginson of New York. He died in 1994 at the age of 98! Vin Higginson devoted his life to various facets of Catholic music—composing, studying, editing, and directing. For many years he was editor of the Catholic Choirmaster, which, in 1965, joined with Caecilia to become Sacred Music. Many of his compositions were published by McLaughlin & Reilly of Boston, and he was also a music editor for J. Fischer Bros. of New York. His musical works and writings were often published with his pseudonym, Cyr de Brant, including his Mediator Dei Hymnal, published by the Gregorian Institute of America in 1955. This hymnal presents traditional tunes taken from German gesangbuchs along with some excellent English melodies (Tallis, Richardson, Herbert, Terry). Higginson, in this publication, included the names for tunes, something he believed was very important but not done in pre-Vatican II Catholic hymnals.

His most notable contribution to American Catholic hymnology, though, is undoubtedly his two books published by the Hymn Society of America:

HANDBOOK FOR AMERICAN CATHOLIC HYMNALS(1976)
    HISTORY OF AMERICAN CATHOLIC HYMNALS SURVEY AND BACKGROUND (1982)

I had the opportunity to correspond extensively with Vin Higginson in the 1980s and accepted his kind invitation to visit with him at his New York (Queens) home in 1988, just prior to his move to his daughter’s home in Arizona. I shall never forget the wonderful day we had together discussing the origins, development, and current status of American Catholic hymnody.
  • Ronkrisman: Thank you for your interesting note about your studies at Manhattanville College, and meeting Dr. Marier. Also pleased that your were able to attend Mass at St. Paul, Cambridge and see and hear Dr. Marier in his own environment. The acoustics at St. Paul's were about 4.5 seconds....barrel vaulted ceilings, marble pillars and no carpeting anywhere.

We sang his recto-tono Gloria a few times during the year, in addition to one he wrote in a responsorial psalm setting (in HPSC). Additional Glorias we sang were from masses by Peeters, Langlais, Woollen, Palestrina, Vittoria, Gretchaninov and Bruckner.

His passing was a tremendous loss to all who were a part of his life. I'm pleased you were able to experience some of what I experienced at St. Paul's.

Best,
    Unda Maris