Good Modern Hymns
  • I find that not all of modern/contemporary hymnody is all bad.

I actually don't mind "Christ, Be Our Light" written by Bernadette Farrell. Whilst perhaps not musically great, it is written well enough that a decent rendition can be made on the organ and I find that the words make some very nice scriptural allusions. I actually think that it is really an Advent hymn and I believe that people dislike it only because it is just so constantly recycled throughout the year.

So, what are some of the gems of modern/contemporary hymnody?
  • Liam
    I could give a reasonable list were I at home now, but offhand one example I could illustrate with is: Schutte's "Only This I Want" fits a unique niche well.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • Kathy
    I like In Perfect Charity by Randall DeBruyn, as one example.
    Thanked by 1gregp
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    So, what are some of the gems of modern/contemporary hymnody?

This guy writes some decent things...
  • Yeah, I've used a lot his work over the past few years. I hope that he continues to publish stuff!
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Kathy
    Oh, by the way, buy my book.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • A few I happen to like include Farrell's "O God, You Search Me" and a couple of Schutte pieces, namely "Let Us Go to the Altar" and "Song of Mary."
  • This sort of discussion would be very helpful to me, as well. I am in an ongoing dialogue with my pastor about contemporary music.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    At the Cathedral we do have one Mass (Sunday evening) with some contemporary music. It typically features the Lumen Christi Introit, Gregorian Kyrie, Lumen Christi Psalm and Alleluia, a contemporary hymn/song accompanied on piano during the Offertory, Gregorian Sanctus and Agnus Dei, Lumen Christi Communio, followed by a hymn or motet after Communion, and contemporary hymn/song accompanied on the piano as a Recessional. Occasionally a more traditional organ-based hymn will replace the Offertory or Recessional.

I often find one of the most difficult parts of my week to be figuring out the two contemporary pieces at this Mass. Thus far this Advent we've done a piece by Matt Maher, a few Taize things, a John Foley, and an old Glory and Praise warhorse that I had forgotten until looking at the NPM Planning Guide.

The Taize Wait for the Lord seemed to hold up, as did John Foley's Cry of the Poor. The others either seemed to clash with the reverence, incense, and army of altar boys or just generally seemed dated.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • Gems of modern/contemporary hymnody?

I supposed it depends what purpose you intend for them? I've written parodies of some, and they are perfectly designed for this.

If I had to recommend one piece from the modern repertoire, it would be Bruce Neswick's new tune for the text "In the Cross of Christ I glory". (I think it's called "Tomter", but I don't have it in front of me.)

In eons and epochs gone by, I used "Only this I want", but I've come to reconsider the piece. It's not bad for retreats, but for Mass I would (now) think it ill advised.

• ronkrisman
    @hartleymartin: You pose a good question about "gems of modern/contemporary hymnody." Unfortunately, that term has too many meanings. I, along with Kathy and Adam, zeroed in on contemporary metrical and rhyming texts. cgz wrote about a tune. Others have referred to works of modern "troubadours" who write both text and tune. So we have metrical and rhyming hymn texts, new tunes to accompany someone else's new texts or texts from 200 years ago, biblical songs (paraphrases of scriptural texts by folks like Lucien Deiss), hybrid biblical songs with a scriptural text for the refrain and non-scriptural verses (usually without rhyme or strict meter) written by the author-composer, and a host of other variants on these.

Perhaps your interest lies in the works of the contemporary troubadours (authors-composers)? Or perhaps you may wish to discuss several different genres on different threads?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    This thread, Contemporary Hymns, from fourteen months ago, seems relevant here.
  • ronkrisman
    @cgz: "In the Cross of Christ I Glory" appears twice in The Hymnal 1982, first with RATHBUN, then TOMTER. IMO both 87 87 tunes are rather lackluster. A few dozen hymnals published in the USA since 1985 have included the 190 year old hymn, but only one (The New Century Hymnal) has included TOMTER (again as a second tune to RATHBUN). It does not appear that denominational hymnal editors think much of the thirty year old tune.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Threads such as this are fairly useless, though I appreciate some measure of specificity here that has been lacking in similar past articles. Fr. Krisman dipped a toe into the issue with a call for categorization, but for most of us that would be too labor intensive and time consuming.
    Think of a comparison of between sacral music and the world of wine (not enology, that's science.) If one identifies "Only this I want" as "worthy" without any correlative attributes as to how one arrived at that conclusion that could demonstrate connectivity with other works or its absence of such, then the opinion shows only taste, not "taste." One doesn't have to have the rigors and education of a "song sommelier" to thoroughly bring a wealth of valuable insight into a piece's "value." But a mere list, unqualified, is not at all useful and trustworthy as would be the "Wine Spectators" top 100 of the year list. It's more like a random list of wines that one wants on a menu.
    Thanked by 1ronkrisman
  • chonakchonak
    Well, the process has to start somewhere, Melo. :-)
    Thanked by 2Choirparts RedPop4
  • Bernadette Farrell's "O God You Search Me" is a favorite of mine. Compositions by Father James Chepponis are also my favorites.
    Thanked by 1RedPop4
  • Steve QSteve Q
    I actually don't mind "Christ, Be Our Light" written by Bernadette Farrell.

Interesting that you picked this one as an example, because I have always had a problem with it. Verse 3 states: "Make us your bread, broken for others, shared until all are fed." This is one of those popular, contemporary images that I think clouds the true nature of what is happening in the mass. This idea is similarly expressed in Rory Cooney's "Bread of Life" and David Haas' "To Be Your Bread Now" and "Now We Remain".

Sorry if I have ranted about this before. My number one criterion for choosing contemporary music (or any music for that matter) is that it is faithful to Church teaching. Anything that is questionable or confusing - I simply avoid. With so many options from which to choose, why even go there?
    Thanked by 3CharlesW CCooze RedPop4
  • ryandryand
    The others either seemed to clash with the reverence, incense, and army of altar boys or just generally seemed dated.

Interesting how the 1980's sound dated, but the 680's don't seem so ... tired ...
    Thanked by 1RedPop4
  • ronkrisman
    I don't think "Christ, Be Our Light" is unfaithful to Church teaching. Rather, I'd say it is incomplete. There's nothing wrong with saying we are called to be light for the world or bread for the world. But, IMO, an important link is missing in each verse. For instance, in verse 1, people are longing for the light; you, O Christ, are that Light; help us, your Church, reflect your radiance. In verse 3, people are hungering and thirsting; you, O Christ, are the Bread broken for others; help us to bring you to a hungry world, etc.