Ave Regina Caelorum or Alma Redemptoris?
  • For a morning Mass on the feast of Candlemas (Feb 2), which Marian antiphon would be sung: "Ave Regina Caelorum" or "Alma Redemptoris?" I became confused today while looking at some written sources which contradicted each other.
  • jpal
    I believe that Ave Regina Caelorum begins on Feb 3. At least, I looked into that question myself a few years ago and that was the conclusion I drew, though I do not remember exactly how.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    If this is any help, I see in the St. Pius X Hymnal (circa 1958) that the Alma Redemptoris Mater is sung from Vespers of Saturday before the first Sunday of Advent until Second Vespers of the Purification, Feb. 2.
  • chonakchonak
    Is this Mass EF or OF?
  • tomjaw
    In the Liber Usualis...

"From Compline of Feb. 2nd... the Marian antiphon changes from Alma, Redemptoris to Ave, Regina caelorum etc."

I believe there is some confusion but in checking various versions of the Liber 1960's 40's and 50's, I could see no change from the above.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • chonak, it is an EF Mass.
  • All right then, unless proven wrong before then, we will sing "Alma Redemptoris" for the A.M. Mass on Feb. 2. Thanks, all.