Pontifical Institute of Sacred Music
  • Ally
    Is there anyone on here who is currently attending PIMS or is a recent graduate? Or could you point me to someone who is? I am curious about their doctoral programs and would love to speak with a current student. I did try searching the forum too. Please PM if you can help.

Thanks so much!
    Alexis
  • Ally
    Thanks IT, I did try contacting him, no response.
    Other leads?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I got nothin' :)
    Thanked by 1Ally
  • Sr. Rosemary Esseff (LI grad and Nashville Dominican) either has finished or is about to finish a doctorate at the PIMS. She would probably be glad to chat.
    Thanked by 1Ally
  • Too bad their website is only in Italian.
  • I would assume that if one didn't speak Italian he would have no business considering the PIMS.
  • chonakchonak
    The Google translate system does a fair enough job of rendering the Italian into awkward English.
  • Kathy
    Rome is all about not knowing the language you are studying in.
  • The Italian Captivity of the universal Church.
  • Ally
    It's not the language that's the issue. I'm actually just looking for the perspective of someone who has studied there, since I've heard that they prefer you do the master's program there before you do a doctorate. I'll try contacting Sr. Rosemary for sure. Other thoughts? (not in the market for a third master's degree really).
  • I visited the place in 1988 and was enthusiastically shown around the premises by Fr. Robert Skeris (already in his late 70s, I should think, but bounding down the staircase like a mountain goat to greet the improbable prospect of an Australian who had heard of Palestrina!). Yet I haven't studied there of course.
  • What influence does this institute actually have over church music at the present time?
    What was this institutes influence in that past?
    What sort of employment do its graduates tend to end up in?
    Do they truly make the most of what they study and work with truly challenging rewarding ancient church music or do they end up muddling through modern made secular leaning simple music amongst waves of unwashed masses?

This is the first I have heard of the P.I.S.M sorry to say. I shall investigate. That Nashville dominicans would study at it shows promise.

The learning of the italian to encourage study there would be the least important question, if one takes into account the profound rewards to be gained from studying sacred music, anyway that is necessary.