MUSIC FOR HOLY WEEK by Sir Richard R. Terry
  • Would anyone possibly have a copy or pdf of Terry's MUSIC FOR HOLY WEEK? I've been looking to obtain it all over but can't for the life of me find it.
  • Which edition? I have a moderately late one I'm glad to share.
  • Moderately late works fine for me.
  • I'll scan it this evening or early tomorrow (Saturday).
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • LarsLars
    heres the book(best quality scan i've seen)
  • smt
    This is great, thanks!
    Thanked by 1Lars
  • ghmus7
    There needs to be research done on Terry's compostions and liturgical work. He was a giant.
  • ViolaViola

There needs to be research done on Terry's compositions and liturgical work. He was a giant
    Agreed! He didn't mince his words, as in an article he wrote in 1929 (?) entitled 'Why is Catholic Music so bad?'
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • RR Terry Holy Week Music--WOW!

• MatthewRoth
    To be noted that the scan is for the revised Holy Week, so you would be missing things cut, particularly on Palm Sunday, or moved around, or otherwise misled by the rubrics, though the settings provided could be used to reconstruct something appropriate for the pre-Pian rite if one cannot get ahold of an edition lacking the butchery.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • ...mince his words...
    An interesting historical witness for those who think that pre-Vatican II was a liturgical paradise!
  • MatthewRoth
    Straw man if there ever was one, particularly given that Terry was in a dream position for many years. Also, there was a reverence for the rites and their richness, and their complexity, that is simply absent today. Obviously, we shouldn’t settle for bad music or poor execution, but the various reforms have not on the whole made things better, and doing the best that you can do is still impoverished compared to the same before the 1950s.
    Thanked by 2Lars tomjaw
  • LarsLars
    we're singing Terrys In Monte Oliveti this year, which is not included in the book.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • MatthewRoth
    ^if you mean the Palm Sunday version where the response ends “Fiat voluntas tua”, I imagine that it’s in earlier editions.
  • ghmus7
    Lars...do yiy have an online sourse for In Monte?
  • LarsLars
    @ghmus7 it should be attached in my previous reply.