CS Lewis on Church Music
  • francis
    I recently was given this article to read about how to allow all types of music into the liturgy. Many of you will recognize the author. I want your unbiased opinion about how it applies to the RC liturgy.

http://www.darrelldow.com/blog/?p=347

Thanks in Advance.
  • CharlesW
    So what do we do, quit playing and singing until all things are perfect? It's not going to happen. Everything you do as a musician will please someone and tick someone else off. We often are damned if we do, and damned if we don't.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • How refreshing. I can hear Sir Anthony Hopkins' (as CSL) Welsh cadences throughout the brief passages.
    Francis, I think it generally applies to RC liturgy as does the corpus on the crucifix, a reminder of humility and sacrifice to the adherent.
    In specific matters otherwise, I wouldn't want to debate who has the greater responsibility towards efficating truly humble worship- the dedicated priest/organist or the woefully under-catechized layman in the pew.
  • I think the revered gentlemen offers us something to consider, but like many popular philosophers, does not offer a guide to a way out. It's simply a reminder to be humble and that point is taken. Like CharlesW asks, then what are we to do? Mix the course with the fine? Maybe. The real question I think we all try to posit is "When does one employ the fine and when does one employ the course?" For me, Holy Mass is not the time for offering less than the best. We sing the holy texts with the greatest music possible. We can teach outside of Mass (before or after if necessary) with simple songs. During the sacrifice we should strive for the kingdom, not rejoice in the world's pleasant tunes.
  • chonakchonak
    CSL could have mentioned a further example of charity: the musician or pastor of seemingly humble personal tastes, who makes the Mass more beautiful and solemn for the spiritual good of the faithful, even though doing so does not appeal to him personally.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen francis
  • francis
    please, keep you reflections coming! i am all ears!
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Another interesting quote from C. S. Lewis (which I believe came from a letter to someone, but I can't remember exactly.)

Concerning hymn and organ playing: if they have been helpful and edified anyone, then the fact that they set my teeth on edge is infinitely unimportant.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen R J Stove
  • GavinGavin
    Isn't "unbiased opinion" an oxymoron? At any rate, I will offer my biased opinion.

I agree with Lewis in the article and the quote from David to a point. I was talking with a prof with a distinguished career of church music yesterday and he said "you have to give them some music you like and some they like." I've heard this over and over again, in interviews, conversations, classrooms, books, online, you name it. Interestingly, it almost always comes from people of a conservative/traditional bent. And to an extent, I agree. I love English choral music, but a program where only that is done would be a dismal failure in any church, particularly Catholic. And why would I want to go without it? There must be some balance!

And yet, it all has to be constrained. Wouldn't we find it silly if CS Lewis or the local church music director said "well at some points we'll have music and at another I'll draw a picture"! There have to be some limits as to how far we bend to tastes. If I have a church choir that loves to sing "Let there be Peace on Earth", I'm not going to bend to that taste. If I have a choir that loves Mozart's Ave Verum, even though that is faaaar from my favorite, I suppose I could use it once a year or so. And we can bend the genre a bit too - if they like pop music, use some Rutter or Ness Beck. But what we should NOT do is introduce music we judge below the dignity of Mass. That is not a judgment where one can decide "sometimes the congregation's right, sometimes the director is right." No, that judgment should be set by the priest and/or music staff. But within that tent I'd say there is a fair bit of room to accommodate tastes in a Christian manner without destroying the integrity of the Mass.
  • francis
    Thank you:

CharlesW
    Charles in CenCA
    Michael O'Connor
    chonak
    david andrew
    Gavin

(so far)

Here is my initial take on this thing. It could change as you all present your points, but so far, all of you have only reconfirmed my own stance which is simply derived from reading and knowing the liturgical/musical documents of our own church. Simply put, CSL's piece on "church music" and the RC church's official stance appear to be diametrically opposed!

CSL's philosophy becomes 'adjustable' (relative) to ones own perception of what is 'low brow' and what is 'high brow', course or fine, or do I dare go so far as to say good or bad(?) Yes... I dare! This is because nothing is defined as what is low or high, coarse or fine to begin with.

CSL seems misleading at best as it undermines a basic Catholic understanding of what sacred music is, and how one categorizes what is sacred and what is profane. It attempts to redefine the "rule of beauty" as something personal and subjective. It simply is not. (You will find my thinking on 'subjective beauty' somewhere else on this forum, I believe it was in reference to BNA.) This smacks of relativism and is one of the underlying reasons the sacred and the profane are many times confused and why there is presently such a rife in our liturgical music programs in the RC tradition.

Analysis

[This entire philosophy is built on dualism, with the consequence that only two platforms of music exist that can be from God.]

There are two musical situations on which I think we can be confident that a blessing rests.

[This automatically eliminates any other way of thinking that a blessing can rest on music, specifically, liturgical music. That is preposterous.]

One is where a priest or organist, himself a man of trained and delicate taste, humbly and charitably sacrifices his own (aesthetically right) desires and gives people humbler and coarser fare than he would wish, in a belief (even, as it may be, the erroneous belief) that he can thus bring them to God.

[The priest and the organist are automatically consigned to the first platform, the 'high brow' position, and then are immediately set against the second platform, the 'low brow'. The very subject that is being addressed, 'church music', is conveniently cancelled outright and entirely right from the outset. This is accomplished by purporting that there is a "greater" virtue to sacrifice "his own desire" when in fact, what the priest and the organist represent are the desire and wisdom of the church in its music sacred. They are simply the agent that carries it forward to fruition. And how does one define what is 'humble and coarser fare'?! Music that is profane? Irreligious? Popular? Orgiastic? It would seem that the reader alone decides!!? And, by the way, we (priest and organist) don't particularly think we should do this (wisdom, perhaps?), but remember, this "sacrifice is a higher virtue" and we should do it anyway. ...and this next part really tells all. Yea, we should absolutely give them the courser fare believing that it will bring them closer to God... even if we KNOW it is an erroneous belief to think so!]

The other is where the stupid and unmusical layman humbly and patiently, and above all silently, listens to music which he cannot, or cannot fully, appreciate, in the belief that it somehow glorifies God, and that if it does not edify him this must be his own defect.

[OK... now the dualism really kicks in. The layman in the pew is 'stupid'?! which means he can NEVER rise to anything higher, even if he wanted to. He is "unmusical" and is destined to never be musical at all. But it is FACT that music is especially crucial to the liturgy and part of its very fabric! But CSL seems to say that only HE (the layman) is the humble and the patient one. (And because this is a dualistic tenet insinuates it is not possible that the priest or the organist could at the same time be humble in their approach.) In fact, it is finally proclaimed that it is the listener who is the "silent and sacrificial one", who "bears up" under the 'finer' things that he simply cannot and will never be able to understand. We (the organist and priest) are made to feel terrible for having made this poor soul suffer this painful experience of higher music. It is the priest and the organist who make the humble one feel that the layman cannot glorify God, because the layman can not (by choice or by his own stupidity) appreciate the music of the church.]

Neither such a High Brow nor such a Low Brow can be far out of the way. To both, Church Music will have been a means of grace; not the music they have like, but the music they have disliked. They have both offered, sacrificed, their taste in the fullest sense.

[It has now been clearly defined. The "High Brow" is the priest or the organist and the "Low Brow" is the man in the pew. It is then solidified. The higher value in the experience of liturgical music, its content, its form, is not the music itself. It is the SACRIFICE BOTH UNDERGOE IN EXPERIENCING what either does not like. Somehow the sacrificial attitude completely displaces the music itself! What malarkey is this!]

But where the opposite situation arises, where the musician is filled with the pride of skill or the virus of emulation and looks with contempt on the unappreciative congregation, or where the unmusical, complacently entrenched in their own ignorance and conservatism, look with the restless and resentful hostility of an inferiority complex on all who would try to improve their taste —

[Now we are to reason that "skill" is inseparably linked to the sin of pride. And "emulating" something 'fine' or 'higher brow' become a "virus" bound up in contempt toward the layman? Of course, the unmusical one is the layman, once again, who is forced to be resentful, because he cannot possibly appreciate the finer things.]

there, we may be sure, all that both offer is unblessed and the spirit that moves them is not the Holy Ghost.

[The final condemnation is levied in a very subtle and highly erroneous conclusion. Those who provide the "high brow" music are guilty of foul play if this is occurring in YOUR church, because the spirit that is moving you is not the Holy Ghost! (And here a devilish insinuation is put forward.) There is only one other 'spirit' who is responsible for the actions of priest or organist who creates this feeling in the layman-the spirit of darkness. Blasphemy!]
  • dvalerio
    Texts become dangerous when we read too much into them. I think this little bit of prose should be seen within the context of mid-20th century Church of England pratice: hymns would be sung in church during services from some hymn-book; there were of course many good hymns, but also plenty of sentimental lyrics and not-very-good tunes; the former hymns would be just that, good hymns, not the very best examples of sacred music; the latter, however, would still have little to do with sacro-pop (let's call it so) christian music so ubiquitous in some parishes today, but be just that, bad hymns. Also bear in mind that sacred music is not integral to the Book of Common Prayer, that prescribes no antiphons and allows anthems without specifying which, as it is to the Roman Rite: and anglican is what Lewis was; if he was high-church, it was in his theology, not in his liturgy. Finally, the «stupid and unmusical layman» is clearly a type, so often encountered back then when only elementary education was widespread, and not a statement that all laymen are of necessity stupid and unmusical.

So while I do not claim that Lewis's ideas on liturgical music were the best, or his best, let's not put words into his mouth.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • GavinGavin
    Francis, thanks is due rather to you for bringing this to discussion.

It struck me that Lewis is mixing up the concert and worship. I apologize to our Anglican friends here, but this seems to be a common pitfall in that tradition. If you replace "worship" with "concert" and "Holy Ghost" with "uplifting of the spirit" or "enlightenment", I'd heartily agree. At the risk of starting CharlesW up, I think there has to be some balance with recital programing between the "heady" (Messiaen, complete Clavierubung, Praetorius, etc.) and the "light" (transcriptions, Rutter, Toccata and Fugue in Dm, etc.) Certainly we saw too much of the "light" in the early 20th century where people were going to recitals of organs that didn't sound like organs to hear music that wasn't originally written for organ! And in the past 30 years, no one without a graduate degree in organ would be interested to go to a concert to hear a bellows-pumped organ in Meantone tuning play a very slow candle-lit concert from the Buxheimer Orgelbuch.

Then we have church. CS Lewis is, as always, too vague. I agree with him if by "base" or "low brow" music you have pieces like Gloria VIII, "Jesus my Lord, my God, my all" or "Immaculate Mary". Or, for protestants, "What a friend we have in Jesus" or "Amazing Grace". I am indeed of the "throw them a bone" school in this case. "O Sanctissima" played at about half note = 30 with tremolo and celestes makes me want to vomit, but it makes the blue hairs swoon and increases devotion in the church - this is a good thing.

BUT I do not count "On Eagle's Wings" as "low brow", I count it inappropriate for Roman Rite liturgy. I don't question that it makes people into better Catholics, but if they need something that drastic, let them pursue it on their own time in private or non-liturgical devotion. Perhaps that wasn't a problem in CS Lewis's day, but I think today we need to make the primary judgment whether a piece is at all worthy of the liturgy. After that we can try to balance "high brow" or "low brow" and even as Francis says, have the brows raised a bit.
  • francis
    Gavin:

Hence, you clearly see my point! When a congregation cannot live WITHOUT 'sing to the mountains', or 'on eagles wings' and documents such as this become the justification for such, then these things have to be spelled out quite clearly.
  • francis
    dvalerio

Problem is, dvalerio, that this document is being presented to me as THE reason to have the "low brow" in the RC liturgy. I am left no choice but to logically dismantle the thinking reframed from an RC perspective. To reframe your thinking, I would say Roman Catholic Church Music is exempt from his philosophy and only applies to that time frame and denomination about which he wrote the piece. The other problem is that his title does not say, Episcopalian Church Music, but just "Church Music" which can be applied to any denomination if one so chooses, and that has occurred.

[REVISED TEXT]

Also, you have made my point about putting words into his mouth. If things aren't made clear (what is high brow, low brow, course fare, fine fare) then generalizations like this can be very harmful as we begin to apply our own interpretation. Wasn't that the very fault of Vatican II that got us into the very predicament we are in now... left to interpretation?
  • chonakchonak
    Is it possible that Lewis may have been influenced by a functionalistic approach to church services: that they are to be valued for their effect on the faithful in attendance -- an evangelistic and sanctifying effect? In Protestantism (if I may generalize), a radical skepticism about man undercuts the idea that man redeemed in Christ can offer worship of the Divine.
  • francis
    chonak:

Are you saying that the pew goer is simply reduced to a passive observer, or worse yet, outside observer to something in which s/he is not allowed to participate?
  • chonakchonak
    Well, it's not what I had in mind, but it does relate.

The congregation members aren't mere observers with respect to the church service, but they are treated as mere observers of Christ's worship of the Father, because that worship -- central to the Mass -- is not very visible in a non-eucharistic Sunday service. There preaching is the main event, and the congregation's act of worship consists of attentive listening, praying when led, and the singing of hymns.

Throughout, the distance between God and man is strongly observed, and man's worship of God is a duty, even a joyful duty. It is the good response of a creature to its Creator, and it is only that. The thought that man can be "sharers of the divine nature" (2 Peter 1:4) and participate in Christ's worship and thus offer truly meritorious worship to the Father is hubris in this understanding.

When the Church's worship is not valued as bearing real merit before God, it is no longer an end in itself. Beautifying it is no longer an end in itself. The Sunday service is valued as a means to achieve some worthy ends: edification for the faithful and evangelization for the sinner and the backslider. In this sort of thinking, Lewis' comments fit naturally.
  • francis
    chonak:

This is all very telling. Thanks for the insight.
  • CharlesW
    Quoting Gavin: " At the risk of starting CharlesW up, I think there has to be some balance with recital programing between the "heady" (Messiaen, complete Clavierubung, Praetorius, etc.) and the "light" (transcriptions, Rutter, Toccata and Fugue in Dm, etc.)..."

Of course there has to be balance. I suspect that organs, and the music written for them, reflect the times and styles current at the time they are built. That is true for both early 20th and 17th century instruments. Consequently, I can't find one period or type of instrument superior to another. They simply reflect their time period and I wasn't there to participate in those earlier times. That doesn't mean I want to hear all of them. I also suspect Lewis, whose writings I enjoy, was reflecting what he saw and heard. Lately, a prominent local organist presented an all Distler concert. Many of the AGO folks didn't even want to sit through it. It is always possible to go to an extreme in any field, not just music. In church music I think we have other problems. We have the archaelogism that has wrecked the liturgy. That archaelogism was based on some faulty scholarship, or so it seems to me. We also have a mish-mash of essentially protestant musicians who don't care what the church says. They are going to do as they like. A plague on them and their guitars. But I do think things are slowly turning around, thanks to our wonderful Benedict XVI.
  • dvalerio
    For all the worth (or lack thereof) it may have, here's what I'd say if someone would direct me to this text of Lewis as a «reason to have the "low brow" in the RC liturgy»:

1) I very much admire C. S. Lewis, and take much profit from his writings. But he was not infallible, neither did he ever claim to be; also his works, in general excellent, are not all of equal valour.

2) All texts must be read within the proper context. This one in particular should be considered having in mind the situation of the Church of England when the author was writing.

3) All human reasoning makes use of generalisations; if not so, we would be unable to think at all. Bust we must bear in mind that even valid and useful generalisations leave (by their very nature) some things behind. Long books may consider many details, offer careful definitions, address many points of view and refute eventual objections; short texts like this one are likely to have less of all that. An example: the text speaks of only two different, opposed, sensibilities to music, but of course there is a continuum of musical education, tastes, etc. It's just that in three paragraphs we cannot ask for more.

4) Drawing from the above: I see in this text important ideas, but there are other factors to consider:
    * in the Church of England the author belonged to, there was no sacred music intrinsic to the liturgy as there is in the Roman Rite;
    * that Church does not have the guidance we Catholics have from the Magisterium and the Tradition concerning sacred music;
    * indeed the existence of sacred music intrinsic to the liturgy and mandated by the Magisterium and the Tradition is the «normal» one: the Church of England is different because unfortunately the protestant reform chopped off several good and necessary things in the Church.

5) It is true that «trained and delicate taste», a good thing in itself, can lead to pride and contempt. God forbid we should fall into that trap. Lewis also warned us that the better a thing is, the lower it can fall: he noticed it was not a mouse, but an archangel who became Satan... The solution is not to throw away «trained and delicate taste», because it can be debased: all good things would then likely have to be thrown away, because they can be spoiled. We just have to be careful to keep it in its proper place.

6) It is also true that the musical tastes and the spiritual needs of all people in a congregation must be, as far as possible, met. Three important comments:
    * this includes meeting both «trained and delicate» tastes and «stupid and unmusical» ones (to keep the artificial dichotomy);
    * in this context to «meet» signifies (I think!) also to enhance, to improve, to change for the better;
    * this meeting takes place during liturgy, yes, but also during devotions and other moments of Church life.

7) Indeed, not all christian music is liturgical music. This does not mean the rest is useless. The Vatican II council and the documents that followed are clear about this when they speak of «sacred popular music, be it liturgical or simply religious». Liturgical music is of course the most important and noble, but simply religious sacred popular music also has a role of its own. We should however not mix things up, and that's (in my opinion) one of the major problems today: we often reason that, if a music is beatiful and has inspiring lyrics, hey, when during Mass can we sing this? It's nonsense, of course, as it is nonsense to say: this is not liturgical, hence it's trash. There's plenty of trash to be found in current christian music, to be sure, but some good stuff is there too, and can do much good to many people. A comparison: I need good comfortable slippers, but won't put them in my feet to attend a wedding. Conversely, I'm not using well-polished expensive shoes 24h in 24.

8) Using this text of Lewis to justify the use of non-liturgical christian music during liturgy as though it were liturgical is stretching its meaning.

9) As was already noticed in this discussion, there is plenty of acceptable liturgical music to fit many tastes, many choirs with different capabilities, many sensibilities, many different spiritual needs, many levels of education, many different age groups, many situations in spiritual progress, and so on.

10) And finally, it's perhaps true that some Vatican II documents might have been written more clearly, but I feel that the main reason they are so divergently read is that there are many people willing to read into them what they already think. And with some exegetical capabilities we can squeeze most texts to mean what we want. (There's been some discussion on this issue, concernign the Bible, which is still more important, during the Bishops' Synod.) So probably, even if the Council had approved the clearest texts conceivable in the world, they would have met a not too different fate. In face of this, that three short paragraphs of a very good protestant author should be misinterpreted does not, unfortunately, surprise me.
  • GavinGavin
    Let's keep in mind that Lewis was NOT advocating a throwing out of "high brow" music. He was rather advocating a toleration of BOTH. Surely if we gave that article to a folk guitarist he may say "bah! CS Lewis wants to get rid of my low brow music!" Rather he's saying that one should tolerate music that is either more "heady" or "hearty" than one would prefer, for the sake of a common devotion.

I wonder, are we all in agreement that there IS some baser, "low brow" music that, while acceptable for church, may not be to the liking of those of our "sophistication" (for lack of a suitable word)? I might include Mass VIII (overdone), any vernacular Marian hymns, most Polish hymnody, John Rutter, Mozart's Ave Verum, among others. I really could live without any of these, but use them because they aid the devotion of the "unenlightened" (again, failing a remotely suitable word) among the laity. Or am I the only one who tolerates music I see as "low art" in the liturgy? Again, I'm not talking the unsuitable - "Be Not Afraid", "On Eagle's Wings", etc. are altogether not to be used in the liturgy. But surely we should take Lewis up on his advice to not forgo the simpler music out of legislating our own tastes!
  • dvalerio
    Yes, I whole-heartedly agree that there is bad liturgical music. It has the right words, the music cannot be outright dismissed as profane or disrespectful of liturgy but...

I guess it was with that type of liturgical stuff in mind that the authorisation for «other suitable song» replacements was conceived. Music like that can be so bad that even a good non-liturgical sacred music piece will fare better. Unfortunately authorising replacements can also lead to bad liturgical music being replaced with incredibly worse non-liturgical music, as we all know.

PS 1 - In my humble opinion mass VIII can only be overdone if badly done...
    PS 2 - Just the same way, there is good music to be found among non-liturgical, non-sacred christian music... Fine background for a saturday afternoon outdoors parish party, or a diocesan youth meeting, or the like.
  • francis
    I am looking at a setting of the ordinary by Angrisano/Tomaszek. It will be the setting used at our church this weekend for the Sunday evening liturgy. It is the typical sacro-pop, syncopated guitar strummin' creations that are riddled throughout our churches. Here is why I believe it is bad.

It gives a platform for the guitar and the amplified bass guitar and tambourine to rest their laurels on in the name of liturgical music. It now surplants the organ and the proper music of the liturgy. The music is simply juvenille. When I was a child, there was no "juvenille" music in the liturgy. However, when I got to be a teenager, juvenille guitar music appeared on the scene, and I can actually say that as I got involved with that, I stepped backward from my spirituality as a result. When you start making exceptions on ANY type of music that is innapropriate for the liturgy, then the musical pandora box is opened. The box simply has to be burned.

Then of course there is the whole 'celebrate me' dimension. This is a large subversive cult in the American RC Church. It comes with its own brand of twisted spirituality. The creed might be something like, "I am the center and my religion, music, experience, and church revolve around me." Well, I think we can afford to burn those religion books too.

http://catholicexchange.com/2008/09/06/113682/
    ISTM that the problem with the argument lies in several areas.

First of all, there seems to be a presumption (apparently just as common in Lewis' day as in ours) that taste and appropriateness can be judged against each other. Taste can vary based on level of education, exposure to various levels of quality within any particular area and one's own ability to appreciate, respond and perhaps even give reasoned expression to whatever it is that one appreciates. Appropriateness is sui generis, something is appropriate because it is so, or because tradition informs us that it is so. Take for instance one of my favorite examples: a portrait of Elvis painted on black velvet. Depending on one's experience with this genre as against the whole universe of painting, one's level of education and cultural exposure, one may prefer to look at a black velvet Elvis as against, say, a Jacques-Louis David, or a Mattisse. Tastes aside, would it be appropriate to hang a black velvet Elvis in a museum where the others hang? No, and tradition tells us this is so.

This may be a feeble argument, or poorly-worded. But the second problem I think is more problematic than the taste/appropriateness issue, and that is an assumption that the average person in the pew is unable, at a profound spiritual level, to grasp transcendent beauty even in the face of being unable to explain or give reasoned expression to their profound reaction. If this were not so, we wouldn't have recorded history of deeply spiritual people (some saints, some just profoundly spiritual) prior to the use of banal music in church.

The issue is one of "form follows function", or to put it another way, the music we use must serve a utilitarian purpose. Another parallel: do we recognize the beauty of Gothic architecture or baroque furnishings in a church because we possess great knowledge and understanding of art and architecture? Or, does the beauty found in examples of these genres somehow touch us profoundly?

In short, I'll take Augustine of Hippo over C.S. Lewis on matters of beauty, truth, goodness and transcendence any day.
  • francis
    Amen, David Andrew!
  • CharlesW
    I will agree, David Andrew. I'm OK with Augustine. Although some of my fellow easterners consider him a bit of a heretic.
  • francis
    chalresW:

On what points would Augustine fall under heresey?
  • GavinGavin
    Francis: Augustine pretty much made up all of Western theology. Justification, dual procession, monergism, it all comes from Augustine. I know a lot of Orthodox people, and trust me; they are NOT fans of Augustine!
  • CharlesW
    They particularly disagree with him on original sin. The east doesn't believe in inherited guilt, only the penalty which is death. I have heard Orthodox priests say that if you accept Augustine, then the Immaculate Conception is the only logical conclusion you can reach about the Theotokos. Consequently, they logically understand why the IC was defined in the west. But, they don't accept Augustine or the Immaculate Conception. So Gavin is correct, they are not fans of Augustine. They also disagree on purgatory, but that's another matter.
  • GavinGavin
    Ah yes, original sin is also rejected by the Orthodox as having been "made up" by Augustine. It's my impression that the Eastern Rite Catholics operate under the same theology as the Orthodox; is that correct in either theory or practice?
  • CharlesW
    Yes, but there's always a "but." Eastern Catholics accept the defined dogmas of the Catholic Church. However, we don't have the scholastic tendency to hair-split and define things. For example, Mary was sinless. Period. That's it. It's all a mystery and how she became sinless is unimportant. There is a belief in the east that it's a bit presumptious to pry into the affairs of God. Eastern Catholics do believe in original sin, but in practice see it more along Orthodox lines as not having transmitted guilt to the descendants of Adam and Eve. I think much of it comes down to the differing views of sin in the east and west. The west tends to view sin as a crime or offense, for which there is a penalty. The east views sin as a disease that must be treated with the proper "medicines."
  • Don't forget that the IC was defined by papal decree, not a council of the Church. That should eventually be addressed IMO. Frankly, I've never understood the need for it. The Dominicans proposed that Mary was purified in the womb like John the Baptist, but the Franciscans got the common folk all worked up about the necessary purity and Mary's chosen status at the Creation.
  • francis
    et al. your feathers are showing!
  • priorstf
    I understand and accept the dogma of the Immaculate Conception. Is it also dogmatic that Mary never committed a sin of her own volition?
  • chonakchonak
    I do not know whether the perpetual sinlessness of Mary is a dogma, but the Council of Trent mentions it as the teaching of the Church.

The old Catholic Encyclopedia (on-line) has this:
    Mary's complete exemption from actual sin is confirmed by the Council of Trent (Session VI, Canon 23): "If any one say that man once justified can during his whole life avoid all sins, even venial ones, as the Church holds that the Blessed Virgin did by special privilege of God, let him be anathema."

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15464b.htm
    (See the passage on "Mary's perfect sanctity", which cites the opinions of some of the Church Fathers.)
  • IanWIanW
    I've always felt that C.S. Lewis's Narnia books betray a certain priggery, or smallness of mind, in Lewis's character. I fear the referenced essay does, too.
  • Well, after reading an awful lot about the IC, I do not dispute it, since the Church accepts it, but I have trouble with it in the sense that it removes Mary incrementally from the rest of humanity. She is supposed to be the model Christian and our best representative, but if she never had original sin, she is removed from the rest of us. In any case, I'll be at Mass and Vespers trying to understand the mystery of it all. My last comment is that many very highly educated theologians argued against it and it was declared by papal fiat, which seems like a very undignified means to proclaim a dogma of the Church. There are some who even see it as ham-handed political move by Pius XII.
  • VickiW
    A couple of points here:

The IC was defined by Pius IX, not Pius XII (the pope who defined the dogma of Our Lady's assumption body and soul into heaven at the end of her earthly life).

He (Pius IX) did so after consultation with the bishops, so ham-handed would seem to be a bit extreme as a description of the definition. The vast majority of the bishops wanted him to do it.

All of us receive sufficient grace to be saved, but we have to cooperate with it. Our Lady cooperated fully with the grace given to her. Seems like a fine example to me.
  • francis
    May the Most Holy Mother of God receive all the honor that is due her most holy soul and be forever called blessed.
    OK . . . all together, now . . . RABBIT HOLE!

Could we please get this back on the track, which was a question regarding the necessity of blending the "coarse with the fine" in terms of the music we use at Mass?
    Thanked by 2R J Stove eft94530
  • GavinGavin
    My comment on the matter stands: there's appropriateness, and then there's high art. If you think that high art is the only appropriate music for Mass, you don't want Catholicism, you want a concert hall. See my list of "trash" music - all of it appropriate, but I'd never pay a dime to hear it.
  • CharlesW
    Don't we always mix the coarse with the fine to some degree? I know I have given in and done things that I didn't care for on occasion, to keep peace in the choir. Other times for the benefit of someone I cared about since it made them happy. Of course, there are limits to everything.
  • GavinGavin
    Anyone (David?) care to elaborate on the English church music situation at Lewis's time? What did he mean by "coarse" music? I have little doubt that Lewis would be appalled by the state of modern Catholic music.
  • Oops. Right, Pius IX. Pius XII was a commentator on this. Of course this brings up the whole issue of papal infallibilty, which was proclaimed not long afterwards. Anyway, I'm with Aquinas on this. I don't see the need, but if the Church proclaims it, I'll go along.

David, nothing is compelling you to read the naturally occurring sidetracks that discussions often take.
  • chonakchonak
    (Caution to readers: another post in the rabbit hole!)

If it's any help, Michael, it's a joy to remember that sin is not part of authentic human nature. So while the IC may have set Mary apart from the common human condition, it didn't really separate her from "humanity" per se, but "restored" her human nature to an integrity the rest of us do not possess.

OK, back to sacred music: let's all go listen to the Durufle:
    "Tota pulchra es, Maria; et macula originalis non est in te..."
  • IanWIanW
    Gavin,

I seem to remember that Erik Routley discusses Lewis's views in "A Short History of English Church Music". However, I can't find my copy, and it's some years since I last looked at it. Perhaps someone out there has a copy, and can precis any contextual material in it?
  • David wrote, and Francis echoed:

"In short, I'll take Augustine of Hippo over C.S. Lewis on matters of beauty, truth, goodness and transcendence any day."

I find it odd that so many people have read into Lewis's essay much more than that which he was trying to say. The essay is brief, Lewis outrightly claimed no special expertise in its subject matter, and it must not be taken out of context. Lewis, in placing such emphasis on intention and charity, was in fact echoing Augustine, from the sixth book of the latter's monumental work, "de musica." See Erik Routley's book, "The Church and Music," for an insightful analysis of Augustine's work--e.g., to Augustine, lack of symmetrical perfection, although the source of all badness in music, is to be tolerated:

". . . Our advice, therefore, is to divert our approval from counterfeit symmetries, where we are unable to discern whether it is counterfeit or true. And yet—in as much as they do imitate the true we cannot deny that in their kind and in their own order they are things of beauty." [Augustine, VI: x: 28.]

Routley observes of this passage:

"Note this most carefully. Augustine has spent half of his book in establishing the principles of perfection, and then he seems to destroy his whole case by saying that the imperfect is after all not to be condemned. That is because he is writing for
    ordinary men and not for experts. It is the distinguishing genius of the Christian ethic that it demands men to be concerned entirely with the struggles for goodness and not at all with the judgment of evil (St. Matthew vii, 1). But that the concern of the individual
    believer in his daily life is to attend to goodness and not to attend to evil. Augustine translated this principle exactly into aesthetics when he says “We need not be caused to stumble by the imperfect; we need only to delight in the perfect.” Evil in morals
    and badness in art are matter of metaphysics and carry their own judgment; the practical necessity for the man who wishes to advance in either goodness or musical appreciation is to know and to cultivate what is good." [Routley, pp. 63-64.]

Augustine continues:

"Let’s not, then be envious of things inferior to ourselves, and let us, our Lord and God helping, order ourselves between those below us and those above us, so we are not
    troubled by lower, and take delight only in higher things. For delight is a kind of weight in the soul. Therefore, delight orders the soul. ‘For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.’ Where delight, there the treasure; where the heart, there
    happiness or misery. But what are the higher things, if not those where the highest unchangeable undisturbed and eternal equality resides?" [Augustine, VI: xi: 29.]

And Routley concludes:

"Being a Christian [Augustine] solves the problem of “badness” in music. That imperfection which is the heritage of all created things he tells his reader to tolerate
    and not to make into an occasion for abandoning his study. That which proceeds from willful disregard of the laws of symmetry and soundness he roundly denounces as pride
    and therefore sinful. Above all, Augustine regards music as an activity of the reason, not a matter of feeling and “self-expression.” It is the Logos which is the expression of
    eternal and immutable things, not the human logos, which is tainted with all human failings. Music for him brings the truth down from heaven, and those who regard music as a means of sending thoughts up from the human mind will do well to mark his words." [Routley, pp. 67-68.]

Lewis, by the way, did not enjoy singing hymns--in particular sentimental, Victorian era hymns, and he was equally critical of the quality of some of the sermons he heard in the parish church which he attended--and these facts did not escape Routley, who invited Lewis to submit his essay in its original publication; so parts of the essay must be taken "tongue in cheek."

Personally, I think Lewis's words on the subject, especially his final paragraph, hit the nail squarely on its head, and are timeless, as also was Augustine's warning centuries before that charity must prevail in our music making--and they are not intended to be taken as an indictment against the practices of well-intentioned church musicians. We must, however, exercise righteousness, humility, and love. In another place, Routley quotes Amos 5:21-24 in this same regard: "I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies. Though ye offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept them: neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts. Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs; for I will not hear the melody of thy viols. But let judgment run down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream." Or as (another) David said in Psalm 51:16-17, "For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise." God is not honored by our offerings (musical or otherwise) if our heart is not right with him (and our neighbors--that is why we make peace with each other before we take the bread and the wine), that is basically what Lewis is trying to say to us. I do not believe that the gist of his essay is that we have to "allow all kinds of music" into our services; but we should not allow popular Christian music to become a stumbling block for us, we should rather be humbly and charitably pointing our parishioners in the direction of a depth of devotion that popular Christian music perhaps does not by its intrinsic nature encourage.

Ian--thanks for the tip; I will have to look that one up.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Erika
  • francis
    I don't even remember what the article said, and it's gone.