Seeking accompaniments for English plainchant
  • chonakchonak
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Moving beyond the Simple English Propers.
  • nun_34nun_34
    If I may return to the very beginning of this thread to ask a practical-help question, it is this: For which of these various English chant propers does organ accompaniment exist, and where can I find it?

...the other options: The Graduale Simplex, the Lumen Christi Missal/Gradual/Simple Gradual, Fr. Weber's resources, Fr. Kelly's resources, and others. The better the chants are that you are using, the more successful the future of sacred music will be.

We have used Fr. Weber's introits when they are not simple psalm tones, namely during Advent, Lent and the last few Sundays of the year. I started us on some SEP last summer, and the Rice introits in the Lumen Christi Missal for weekdays in Ordinary Time. (All these have organ accompaniment.)

In our religious community of two dozen, the 'choir' and the 'congregation' are coextensive, and by no means are all of us singers. While two or three are comfortable acapella, the group as a whole is helped by organ support.

Thank you for any help you can give.
  • chonakchonak
    Welcome, nun_34!

A project to produce a book of SEP accompaniments is underway, and just got a boost after a setback. The editor's computer got stolen, so donors (among us) contributed toward buying him a new one and a copy of Sibelius. Probably a draft will be done in 2 months, and the print-on-demand version a few weeks more.

Until then, see the forum thread on "sep organ accompaniments"; many of the individual weeks are available there already for download.

Thanked by 1nun_34
  • nun_34nun_34
    Thank you, and thank you for the welcome. I have been lurking here and following ryand's work on the SEP accompaniments off and on for a while. I was wondering more about the "other options" matthewj referred to in the quote above. God bless you!
  • donr
    The organ accompaniments for the Lumen Christi Missal (LCM) are on illuminare Publications web site (or at least the ones that are composed already).

I have started using these just recently and they are quite nice.
    Thanked by 1nun_34
  • chonakchonak
    The English counterpart to the (Latin) Graduale Simplex is the book "By Flowing Waters" (Liturgical Press), but I don't think organ accompaniments have been developed for it.