What Is An Optimal Length for a Midnight Mass Prelude Program?
  • For a Christmas Midnight Mass, what would you suggest as an optimal length for a choral prelude program? Ours will be an EF High Mass, with plenty of singing, and I don't want to exceed the limits of vocalists or congregation for a prelude portion. What would you consider a limit which you would not exceed?
  • chonakchonak
    Depends on the size of the church and the choir. At a small church, 20-25 minutes, say; at a cathedral, maybe 40-45. The more singers you have, the more you can give some a break by using soloists or small ensembles. (This is just opinion on my part, based on what I've seen done.)
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • BenBen
    we do nearly an hour at the cathedral. Much of the time is either solo/organ or brass quintet pieces though, so the choir as a whole is not singing for the full hour + Mass.
  • Thanks for the feedback. We have 20 singers, and will utilize both a male and female schola, in-between full choir. Our 1848 rural church, while lovely, has never been mistaken for a cathedral.
  • BenBen
    Agreed. It's no cathedral, but still, it's a very nice church. I really like it. It's a beautiful country church.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Agreed! A very nice country church!
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • We only do about 15 minutes, because the choir does the whole thing plus Mass. And we only have about 8 choir members including myself (I'm also the DM)
  • CharlesW
    I do 30 minutes, with about 20 minutes of that actual choir singing, 5 minutes for my choir to fumble finding their music and re-position soloists, and about a 5 minute organ prelude. I have noticed that the church fills during that 30 minute program. The concert starts with a few people present at 11:30 p.m. and is full by midnight.
  • donr
    We have about 40 minutes. We'll have soloists sing their favorite carols, with or without acc. Then I'll have a couple of instrumental pieces. Just prior to the proclamation we'll do a couple SATB pieces. It works out well for us.
  • jpal
    We have a relatively larger suburban parish, with a choir of almost 20 for Midnight Mass. Our prelude begins at 11:30PM.

Puer natus chant (soloists on verses, choir/cong. on refrain)
    O Little Town of Bethlehem (Forest Green; choir/cong/org/str)
    In The Bleak Midwinter (Harold Darke; choir/soloists/strings)
    Cantique de Noel (solo/strings/flute)
    Gaudete Christus est natus (soloists on verses, choir/cong. on refrain; organ/tambourine)
    Fantasia on Greensleeves (Vaughan Williams; strings/flute/harp)
    Once In Royal David's City (choir/cong/org/str)
    (Organ solo if needed)

Tolling of the midnight bell, followed by the Proclamation.
    Thanked by 2JulieColl expeditus1
  • tomjaw
    The length of time to sing Matins...
  • This feedback is helpful. We typically do 30 minutes, and I was considering adding another 5-10 minutes, but didn't want to exceed the limits of decency or common sense.

CharlesW, I had to laugh about the allotted 5 minutes of "fumble time" for folks to find their music. That is my pet peeve - one which even handing out music lists, well in advance, can't seem to rectify.
  • CharlesW
    Published programs, given to the choir two weeks ahead of time, make no difference. Even in rehearsal, I mention putting music in order for the Midnight Mass program. None of it matters. The wind generated by those flapping pages as they seek the next selection, would easily qualify as category I.

Two weeks ago the diva soprano went wandering off during a passage of an anthem they should know. She said, "I thought I was singing, 'whatever-it-was' that I remembered from singing at Sts. Vacuous & Vapid years ago." It's a good thing I don't like alcohol. I have started calling them the Alzheimer's choir, since they remember next to nothing on Sunday from the Wednesday night rehearsal. LOL.
  • Charles, I can SO visualize your description of flappers. I can fire up the organ and be on verse 3, as folks rifle through music, only to hear "I don't have that one."
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • I do have to credit them though, as it is a vigorous searching, almost frantic.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I understand. Some days I am sure they missed the medication cart. LOL.
  • I actually make up books for my choir. They can't find anything if it bit them, so it's easier for me to just make up the books and then keep them with ME. It takes up a lot of room in my car, but worth it to not have all the papers raddling, or people crying "I don't have such and such".......
  • Musicteacher, that might have to become an option with the adult choir. We have avoided this problem with our children's choir, by making up binders. One of my super-organized adult choir members (not a music flipper) keeps the big Rubbermaid tote with her and lugs it to practices. She is also the mother of 12 young children. I guess she finds the irritation of lugging, to be less than that of the wasted time of flapping sheets.
  • donr
    I also make up books for the choir (especially for Midnight Mass). Everything is in order from carols through the Mass. All they need to do is turn one page and they are ready to go. I passed them out about 1-1/2 months ago. If there is a change I just have them change it out prior to rehearsal and everyone is good to go.
  • Believe me, the inconvenience is worth the security of knowing the music is where it needs to be in the correct order. God bless to all my fellow musicians as we get through the next several weeks.
  • dad29
    Generally I've found that a typical church choir can rehearse and learn 23 minutes' worth of music WELL. Then there's 8 minutes of page-flapping. If page-flapping consumes only 6 minutes, there's always an organ improv on Veni, Veni for the procession to the crib.
  • dad29, eight minutes of page-flapping is a very generous allowance. Some singers must find handling of their papers to be a soothing routine.
  • mahrt
    To get back to the question at hand: people used to come to the Midnight Mass (at midnight) a half-hour early to be sure to get a seat; so we propared a program of about 30 minutes of a variety of music, all very attractive; then people came an hour early in order to get a seat; since the Midnight Mass took at least 75 minutes, everyone was tired by the time of the Sanctus; the pre-Mass program had upstaged the Mass itself. After that, we did only very subdued music before Mass, organ music and a few carols,and let the substantial music be the music of the Mass itself.
  • ...the pre-Mass program had upstaged the Mass itself. After that, we did only very subdued music before Mass, organ music and a few carols,and let the substantial music be the music of the Mass itself.

Professor Mahrt, THAT is something that is worthy of reflection.
  • I agree. Sometimes the midnight mass prelude music is so long and dramatic that by the time the bell rings for the start of mass, many people are ready to go home.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • You're so right about that. I learned that today only because I had to cut and greatly simplify the pre program because of asthmatic bronchitis including trips a few feet away out of sight to use a puffer. I will always probably keep it short and simple in the future since it seemed what the congregations wanted (or maybe that was a illusion due to proventil side effect). By the third Mass I had achieved the right blend that was just the right amount of singing that built up to our full active participation in the Mass (or maybe the first congregation this morning was really needing some serious caffeine).

I so agree about the music flapping I had prepared music to just drop into a binder and one gal still found a need to re-arrange the music another way .

Ive been reading these threads (up to page 25 now) while I've been in bed with this stuff for the last two weeks. This morning I thought of the people on this forum and what you were doing at the same time. It was comforting and reassuring to think of you as plans changed from Plan B to Plan C D and E respectively..

Plan changes notwuthstanding the Chistmas Masses were wonderful. What an honor.

Merry Christmas.

Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Merry Christmas to you, too, Darla ... and welcome.
  • I don't have a lot to add to this, as, after several years of study, I am just getting back into parish music.

Let me second Donr: When I was a praise band leader at my last Protestant Church, I used to fill up the notebooks for each choir member myself, so there was no fumbling. It took time, but...there was no fumbling. AND there was a set list with each section of the service in its own box.

At the Cathedral, everyone has to load and unload their notebooks themselves, and the music is all laid out on a table we can't see. But it is all thee-hole and they snap it into place, presumably in order but just to make sure, the MD holds up his score for all to see before each piece. Allowing fumble time in your schedule is probably a good idea.

Cheers.

Kenneth
    Thanked by 2donr expeditus1
  • donr
    Even with the pre-planned books somehow books were not in order. This is why the choir gets together prior to the start of carols we check the order of the books, I tell everyone to unwrap all their cough drops now, open their water bottles now, and then do warm ups. We then go into the church, sit quietly for a few minutes and begin.

Noise was kept to minimum and the choir sounded great and was prepared.
  • CharlesW
    Something that baffles me every year. I order more copies of music than I have choir members. Every year, I run out of music, and someone is complaining, "I don't have one." Is this like the disappearing socks in the dryer or something?
    Thanked by 2expeditus1 Spriggo
  • Darn those socks!
  • donr
    My favorite is when someone doesn't come to rehearsal for a couple of weeks and then is puzzled about a change we made. "Hey we didn't rehearse it like that, when was that change made" ... How about coming to rehearsals then maybe you'll know.

But in fairness those things were at a minimum and we had a great Christmas.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW expeditus1