Mass settings in English
  • chonakchonak
    A few years ago, during the transition to the new English edition of the Roman Missal, various musicians wrote reviews of the newly available or newly updated Mass settings in English from the major music publishers. Perhaps it's time to revisit the topic.

Are there any Mass settings you would like to recommend or analyze? If so, feel free to start a thread on that work and post some comments. Please include a link to sound samples, perhaps on YouTube or at the publisher site, or perhaps from your own parish.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Great idea, Richard. Were we to assume that this thread would host sub-threads dealing with certain Masses?
    If so, I'd nominate Chuck Giffen's Missa Ascensiones and Paul Jernberg's Mass of S. Philip Neri.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • stulte
    Missa Episcopi Ioannis

Here's the Credo on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhd7CXU2_7M

• Richard MixRichard Mix
    Our vernacular settings are Jeff Ostrowski's Sherwin Mass, my Schubert and LaRocca's Mass of St Mary Margaret, but we're about to introduce the New Mass for Mission Dolores by Jerome Lenk this weekend.
  • Liam
    Richard J. Clark: (1) Mass in Honor of Pope Saint John Paul II; (2) Mass of the Angels

One feature of Richard's congregational composition style for the Gloria is that he provides a "refrain" that can be used as such during the weeks when a congregation is becoming familiar with a new setting, but the repeats of which can simply be omitted as time goes on. Like training wheels, as it were.
  • KyleM18
    Settings I've actually done that I'd recommend: Russel Weissman's "Mass in honor of St. Ignatius" (I have a bit more liberal taste than most, but its probably the best new setting published by GIA); Richard J. Clark's Mass in honor of Pope St. John Paul II

Other Settings: Russel Weissman's Mass of All Saints (published by BSNIC), Daniel Knaggs's Missa Sancti Ioannis Apostoli, Revised Proulx Land of Rest Acclamations, and Revised Proulx Corpus Christi Acclamations.
  • Chris Mueller's Missa pro editione tertia
    Peter Latona's Mass of the Immaculate Conception
    Daniel Knaggs' Mass of St Teresa of Avila
    Philip Stopford's Mass of St Luke
    James MacMillan's Mass of Blessed John Henry Newman
    Thanked by 1KyleM18
  • Peter Latona's Mass in honor of the Immaculate Conception (available from the National Shrine's music office.)